WordPress

last person joined: 8 days ago 

A place for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels.
The WordPress group is an engaged network of WordPress developers and content managers, for all skill levels, by WordPress users for WordPress users, to encourage the usage of and advocate for WordPress.

Our goal: to support nonprofit organizations using (or interested in using) WordPress. Additionally, this is a safe and friendly place for beginning WordPress developers and users to ask questions and connect to like-minded people.

Current organizers: Cindy Leonard, Jason King, and Mark Root-Wiley
Short link: http://community.nten.org/wordpress
Anyone can join and contribute to this group! Just create an account to get started.

1.  WordPress Question of the Month - January 2017

Posted 9 days ago

Happy new year, everyone! Here's our Question of the Month to kick us off for 2017:

What are your favorite ways to incorporate rich media into your WordPress site (podcasts, video, etc.)?

I look forward to hearing your answers!

Cindy

------------------------------
Cindy Leonard
Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management
Pittsburgh, PA

2.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - January 2017

Posted 8 days ago

This is a great question, Cindy! I'd love to hear how people are handling podcasts and audio in particular.

To the example list of "rich media", I'd add slideshows, interactive graphics, and any other cool things you're able to embed on your site!

I'll get the ball moving with a couple quick examples:

• WordPress's "magic" embeds of YouTube, Vimeo, SoundCloud, Slideshare, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. remain one of my favorite features. If you're not familiar with the, feature you copy the URL of something, paste it into the editor on its own line, and VOILA! Embed. Magic. Here's a longer post I wrote on that topic about making "social timelines" (a la Storify) in WordPress sans plugin.
  • While I've only used it a few times, I've been really impressed with VideoPress for hosting/displaying videos when you can't use YouTube or Vimeo.

What else are people doing?

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
Seattle, WA

3.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - January 2017

Posted 7 days ago

I would love to hear how people handle embedding PDFs! For example, if you have a strategy for making the reading experience optimum on mobile, if you do anything to prevent people from downloading the file, etc.

Emilio Arocho
Technology and Web Operations Officer
Food and Drug Law Institute

4.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - January 2017

Posted 6 days ago
For publicly available documents, we've used a Google Docs PDF viewer to embed PDFs on the site (e.g. http://www.streetchildrenresources.org/resources/africa-consultation-report-for-the-un-committee-on-the-rights-of-the-childs-general-comment-on-children-in-street-situations/). But it does very much depend on your use case and who you want to be able to see the documents.

There are some really good plugins for this kind of thing, such as: https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/wp-downloadmanager/screenshots/.

And there are other third party services like Issuu and Scribd that may help.

Ross

Ross Wintle

5.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - January 2017

Posted 5 days ago
I've had a pretty good experience with that viewer too, Ross! Issuu and Scribd both work with the WordPress auto-embed feature which is awfully nice.

For anyone interested, here's a shortcode to use the Google PDF viewer in plugin form: https://gist.github.com/mrwweb/4e396b3211729a54b8d0c96254aa64f3 (GitHub is having some issues so if the link doesn't work, try again later.)

I also came across this plugin today for embedding Google Sheets: Inline Google Spreadsheet Viewer

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
Seattle, WA