WordPress

last person joined: 2 days ago 

A place for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels.
The WordPress group is an engaged network of WordPress developers and content managers, for all skill levels, by WordPress users for WordPress users, to encourage the usage of and advocate for WordPress.

Our goal: to support nonprofit organizations using (or interested in using) WordPress. Additionally, this is a safe and friendly place for beginning WordPress developers and users to ask questions and connect to like-minded people.

Current organizers: Cindy Leonard, Jason King, and Mark Root-Wiley
Short link: http://community.nten.org/wordpress
Anyone can join and contribute to this group! Just create an account to get started.

Topic: New WordPress Site Launched!!

1.  New WordPress Site Launched!!

Posted Aug 05, 2016 11:35

Good Morning All!  Yesterday was a big day in my office-we finally launched our new website (based in WordPress).  Yay!!

Of course, now I have all these old links in Google from the CMS. And since we are using Google Custom Search on the site (and the search is on the 404 page), so having the now defunct links in the Google index is problematic.  The most popular pages (landing pages), I am setting up redirects for–but for the rest of them, I was thinking of loading an XML sitemap with expired tags to get them dumped from the Google site index.  However, I am worried about impacts that might have on search rankings, etc.

Thoughts?  Words of wisdom?  Anyone else managed this kind of change?

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions –

Thanks! And Happy Friday!

Gretchen

Gretchen Knell
Web Producer
Alley Cat Allies
7920 Norfolk Ave., Suite 600
Bethesda, MD 20814
gknell@alleycat.org

ACA Logo Tagline_Gray_EMAIL

Wherever they come from and wherever they live, all cats deserve our protection and support!
Get involved at
NationalFeralCatDay.org.

This message is intended only for the use of the party to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise exempt from disclosure under law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of a transmission received in error is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by responding to this email and delete or destroy it and any copies. Thank you.

2.  RE: New WordPress Site Launched!!

Posted Aug 07, 2016 11:47

Hi Gretchen,

Website looks great. Smart use of responsiveness. Calls to action really stand out. Love the mix of photos and silhouettes.Visually, well it's cats so you can't go wrong.

A few small points:

• There should only be one H1 html tag on the home page. So no H1s in the slider.
  • Consider superimposing the slider's text on the images to save space.
  • Using a pop-up just to tell people the site's changed could irritate users. Use Google Analytics to check whether that tactic works or not.
  • On your donation/giving page(s) you should explain in more detail how donations will be used. For example, if someone donates $100 what does that pay for? That makes people much more likely to give.

And SEO:

• Maybe switch off Google Custom Search for a few weeks, until their indices catch up. Then switch it back on again. Meanwhile, install one of the many plugins that improves WordPress search (because yes it is rubbish out-of-the-box).
  • If urls have generally changed in a consistent way then you can set up one or more redirect rules using regex so it adapts to the new pattern. If you're unfamiliar with writing regular expressions, ask some geek for help: that's what I always have to do.
  • If urls are inconsistently different, then I think you're doing the right thing. Redirect (301) the most popular pages, use Google Search Console to keep an eye on 404s. Instruct Google to forget old urls.
  • Expect your stats to suffer in the short-term, but improve in the long-term.
  • You're using a really good XML sitemap plugin, but make sure you resubmitted it to Google Search Console and check whether most of the pages were successfully added.
  • Got a Google Adwords Grant? Don't forget to update its urls too. Not got one? Get one!
  • Cute 404 page - that's going to be worth it.
------------------------------
Jason King
WordPress Web Developer
London
www.kingjason.co.uk

Twitter: @jasoncsking

3.  RE: New WordPress Site Launched!!

Posted Aug 08, 2016 10:36

Hi Gretchen,

Sorry I don't have any advice to offer, I just wanted to say that the new site is GORGEOUS! I just shared it with the small local cat rescue group I work with as something to model as we embark on a website redesign (I'm trying to convince them to go with Wordpress too).

Melissa Amarello
Advocates for Snake Preservation
Tucson, Arizona
http://www.snakes.ngo/

4.  RE: New WordPress Site Launched!!

Posted Aug 09, 2016 09:29
Edited by Julius Rainey Jr Aug 09, 2016 09:29

Very nice. Congratulations on your new website. :)

Did you use a theme to create your site?  Framework?

Julius Rainey Jr
Information Technology Director
Parents for Public Schools, National Office
Jackson, MS

5.  RE: New WordPress Site Launched!!

Posted Aug 16, 2016 12:29

Looks wonderful to me and not because I'm an animal lover:-)

Does what its supposed to -- conveys your message, and displays distinct yet connected info seamlessly!  Well done!

Know where I can find a WP volunteer, my volunteer webmaster is woefully unorganized, as it turns out way too short-skilled on the webDev basics, which has translated to the TLL main site being 3+ weeks behind on an already 2-month overdue launch date which is creating all kinds of problems and domino-effect issues. 

My original volunteer was (is) sharp as a tack, but had a bad accident which shattered his knee back in June.

I have a site that needs to be converted to WP, an interim landing page w/registration infrastructure that needs to be configured until that is complete so we can begin registering vendors and letting users create their subscription accounts.

I also have a new WP site to get up and running for job, resume, grant, start-up and fiscal sponsorship profiling and a host of other things, and that's way behind. 

I have no help and can't do it myself which is why I hired the role out.  My start-up charity doesn't have the funding because the site is not YET generating revenue because its not set up to do so!  HELP

Volunteer referrals welcome, else I'm writing an RFP for volunteer help.

Thnx.

Jerri

xQPgHl4fR4mwYAkAbLYk_logo.png

Jerri Thomas
Founder, CEO & Chief Resource Officer
The Learners Lab (TLL)
ExecOffice@TheLearnersLab.org
855 722 7788 (srvc) | 202 491 9302 (c)

6.  RE: New WordPress Site Launched!!

Posted Aug 16, 2016 12:34
Have you considered posting the project at Taprootfoundation.org or posting the volunteer position at Volunteermatch.org?

Either resource could potentiallly help you find someone.

Cindy

Cindy Leonard, Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management at Robert Morris University, 
339 Sixth Ave, Ste 750, Pgh, PA 15222
p 412-397-6007 | f 412-397-6016 | leonard@rmu.edu | www.bcnm-rmu.org

It's time for TechNow! Register today to receive Early Bird rates! www.technowconference.org

7.  RE: New WordPress Site Launched!!

Posted Aug 16, 2016 12:47
Not w/ Tara, Volunteer Match has produced help, but not w/experience, I've had postings there for web and exec admin assist help almost 1.5 yrs.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

8.  RE: New WordPress Site Launched!!

Posted Aug 16, 2016 12:39

Another place to try for volunteer help: SkillsForChange.

Jason King
WordPress Web Developer
London
www.kingjason.co.uk

9.  RE: New WordPress Site Launched!!

Posted Aug 16, 2016 13:52
Thanks a mil, I'm trying that now:-)

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:39 PM, Jason King via NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network

--

Jerri D. Thomas MBA, MPA
The Learners Lab (TLL)
www.TheLearnersLab.org
ExecOffice@TheLearnersLab.org (ofc)
202 491 9302 (cell) | 855 722 7788 (ofc)  |  888 610 1731 (f)

...Let's Making It Happen!

10.  RE: New WordPress Site Launched!!

Posted Aug 16, 2016 14:43

Jerri,

We (knstek.com) can help you. PL share more details. My email: vnalluri@knstek.com. I am local to DC area.

Venky Nalluri
KNS Technologies Corporation
stone ridge, VA

11.  RE: New WordPress Site Launched!!

Posted Aug 16, 2016 15:20
Wow, I'm overwhelmed with appreciation.

And I just posted the challenge need on Skills for Change (www.Sparked.com), thanks to the referral from Jason on the list!

I will still reach out, its quite a lot we need, and I'm just learning of it:-)

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 2:42 PM, Venky Nalluri via NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network

--

Jerri D. Thomas MBA, MPA
The Learners Lab (TLL)
www.TheLearnersLab.org
ExecOffice@TheLearnersLab.org (ofc)
202 491 9302 (cell) | 855 722 7788 (ofc)  |  888 610 1731 (f)

...Let's Making It Happen!

12.  RE: New WordPress Site Launched!!

Posted Aug 16, 2016 14:41

Gretchen,  Here are some suggestions from our SEO expert. PL let me know if you need any help.

They should not load a XML sitemap with expired tags...this would not be good for SEO and this could cause a Red Flag with Google.

Here is what I recommend:

1. Create redirects for the important links and any other links that they want to follow to the new pages. The best option is to have all of the old links redirect to new pages.

2. But if there is a very large amount of old links and too many to redirect, just let the old, unimportant links go to the 404 page.

3. Create a well designed 404 page that includes website template background and links to important information like contact page.

Venky Nalluri
KNS Technologies Corporation
stone ridge, VA

13.  RE: New WordPress Site Launched!!

Posted Aug 17, 2016 11:50
Edited by Mark Root-Wiley Aug 17, 2016 11:50

Jerri et al,

Regarding this new topic of volunteer website building, I thought it worth sharing this thread from the NTEN Discuss list last week. It's a great long discussion on the perils of nonprofit tech volunteers. It also includes some good advice for how to try to make these engagements more successful (though that's not easy!).

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
Seattle, WA

14.  RE: New WordPress Site Launched!!

Posted Aug 17, 2016 12:05

That discussion Mark mentioned is really useful.

I get worried when a non-profit says something like "someone from the local university or school can build our website", No no no! Don't let anyone near your website unless they have the requisite skills and experience. Pro bono does not equal amateur.

Stay in control. Own your own hosting and register domains in your organization's name. Never let a volunteer own them.

Trust no one. Check their bona fides and develop trust before you give the volunteer access. Only give them the access level they really need.

Make sure you have a copy of a full backup before they change a single thing.

Give them short projects with an end goal. Don't be surprised if they get a job, leave town or disappear suddenly.

Get them to teach you a few WordPress skills.

Be nice to them, recompense them for out-of-pocket expenses if appropriate, and send them a thank you card with a hand-written message afterwards. Volunteers are fantastic. But don't get reliant on them.

Jason King
WordPress Web Developer
London
www.kingjason.co.uk