WordPress

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

A place for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels.
The WordPress group is an engaged network of WordPress developers and content managers, for all skill levels, by WordPress users for WordPress users, to encourage the usage of and advocate for WordPress.

Our goal: to support nonprofit organizations using (or interested in using) WordPress. Additionally, this is a safe and friendly place for beginning WordPress developers and users to ask questions and connect to like-minded people.

Short link: http://community.nten.org/wordpress

1.  State of the Word 2016 and Nonprofits

Posted Dec 04, 2016 13:07

Hi everyone,

This weekend has been a weekend of WordPress events, here in Spain we had WordCamp Barcelona and in US there was WordCamp US.

I attended at WordCamp Barcelona, since five or six years here in Spain we are an a very active community.

I read the post in PostStatus of "The State of the Word 2016" and I see some opportunities in the nonprofits world arround WordPress.

https://poststatus.com/matt-mullenweg-state-word-2016

In this post I read: "Also, the organization will start to promote hackathons for non-profits and NGOs."

Could some attendees of WCUS comment some details about this words of Matt.

Thanks and regards from Spain ;)

Javier.

------------------------------
Javier Quilez Cabello
WordPress and Office 365 for Nonprofits
JavierQuilez.es

2.  RE: State of the Word 2016 and Nonprofits

Posted Dec 05, 2016 07:58

Hi Javier, 

I was not on in Philadelphia, and after Post Status articles and also after the article on WPTavern, I decided I needed to listen to Matt's State of the Word via LiveStream myself. Although I found it very enlightening in many aspects, I was not able to learn more details on the nonprofit support via the Foundation. In the Q & A, someone asked about the education initiative in underdeveloped countries, and he said that the training team would start developing curriculums to be taught be volunteers in the various communities, with 'support' from the foundation. He did not say anything else.

I had the feeling that he doesn't have much more than the cornerstones of a plan. I read in WordPress Slack community-team channel, and I have not seen anything either. 

I am though very excited about the outlook as this is one area, I have been working in the last six years in my local community. 

Maybe RL attendees have more insight from the hallway tracks of from the Contributor Day.

Happy Monday, ladies, and gents! 

Birgit 

Birgit Pauli-Haack
Co-organizer Tech4Good SWFL
NTEN Nonprofit TechClub in Naples FL
text/call 239-595-3882
Twitter: @bph

3.  RE: State of the Word 2016 and Nonprofits

Posted Dec 07, 2016 03:13

Hi,

I talked yesterday with a Community Wrangler at Automattic via Slack.
She told me that by the end of January they will have more details of collaborations with nonprofits.
I will remember this in January and I will share this information with this community.

Regards,

Javier.

Javier Quilez Cabello
JavierQuilez.es

4.  RE: State of the Word 2016 and Nonprofits

Posted Dec 07, 2016 03:50

Cheers Javier, would be great if you could follow up on that.

Jason King
Freelance WordPress development and Google Ad Grant management
Carcassonne, France

www.kingjason.co.uk

Twitter: @jasoncsking

5.  RE: State of the Word 2016 and Nonprofits

Posted Feb 02, 2017 17:34
Hi everyone,

Today I talked with a member of the WordPress.org Community Team.
She told me that this year 2017 the iniciatives of the WordPress Foundation for nonprofits will be destinated to three projects, one of them is internetdefenseleague.org.

In the same conversation she explained to me about the doaction.org project.

From the site: "do_action hackathons are community-organised events that are focussed on using WordPress to give deserving charitable organisations their own online presence. Each do_action event includes participants from the local WordPress community coming together to plan and build brand new websites for a number of local organisations in one day."

I don't have more details about the project but I will start the conversations to organize this event in Barcelona.
As far as I understand the Community Team supports this project as well.

When I have more details I will share with this community.

Cheers,

Javier.

Javier Quilez Cabello
JavierQuilez.es

6.  RE: State of the Word 2016 and Nonprofits

Posted Feb 03, 2017 09:52
Gracias, Javier!  Please keep us in the loop!

Cindy

Cindy Leonard, Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management at Robert Morris University, 
339 Sixth Ave, Ste 750, Pgh, PA 15222
p 412-397-6007 | f 412-397-6016 | leonard@rmu.edu | www.bcnm-rmu.org

7.  RE: State of the Word 2016 and Nonprofits

Posted Feb 06, 2017 13:16

Javier, thanks so much for sharing the do_action link. I've been wanting to organize this kind of a hackathon for a few months. Extremely happy to see that I don't have to do all the work as far as structuring the event. And please do continue to keep us posted!

Sasha Endoh
Owner
Sasha Endoh Code & Design
Montreal, Canada