WordPress

last person joined: 28 days ago 

A place for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels.
The WordPress group is an engaged network of WordPress developers and content managers, for all skill levels, by WordPress users for WordPress users, to encourage the usage of and advocate for WordPress.

Our goal: to support nonprofit organizations using (or interested in using) WordPress. Additionally, this is a safe and friendly place for beginning WordPress developers and users to ask questions and connect to like-minded people.

Short link: http://community.nten.org/wordpress

1.  What Method are you using for Image Optimization?

Posted Sep 13, 2016 09:35

WP NTEN Friends,

I am still new to WordPress. I wonder what method are you using for image optimization. You can share links/info and suggestions on the topic. 

Thanks in advance!

Ben

------------------------------
Ben Carp
Embrace NGO

2.  RE: What Method are you using for Image Optimization?

Posted Sep 13, 2016 09:43

Hi Ben,

Personally I optimise images before uploading, using whatever image editing program is to hand.

I've tried training clients to optimise images before uploading - I find the training wears off within weeks.

Smush plugin is keeps file sizes down, but often only shaves off a little.

Offloading media to a CDN works well.

Jason King
WordPress Web Developer
Laure-Minervois
www.kingjason.co.uk

Twitter: @jasoncsking

3.  RE: What Method are you using for Image Optimization?

Posted Sep 13, 2016 11:06
I'm attending WordCamp Pittsburgh this weekend and one of the sessions on my list to attend is about optimizing images for responsive design.  I'll try to take notes and report back if there's anything helpful in that one.

Cindy

Cindy Leonard, Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management at Robert Morris University, 
339 Sixth Ave, Ste 750, Pgh, PA 15222
p 412-397-6007 | f 412-397-6016 | leonard@rmu.edu | www.bcnm-rmu.org

It's time for TechNow! Register today to receive Early Bird rates! www.technowconference.org

4.  RE: What Method are you using for Image Optimization?

Posted Sep 13, 2016 14:38

For our own sites we optimize the images using Photoshop before uploading them to WordPress. 

When that isn't possible we use the EWWW Image Optimizer plug-in

Mark Hallman, Google Partner
Evergreen Digital Marketing
www.evergreendm.com
Twitter: @mark_hallman

5.  RE: What Method are you using for Image Optimization?

Posted Sep 14, 2016 09:10

We do it the same here - image optimization is done prior to upload and then we typically install EWWW Image Optimizer to help with clients who do the cropping incorrrectly.

Jill Caren
2 Dogs Media, LLC
jill@2dogsdesign.com

6.  RE: What Method are you using for Image Optimization?

Posted Sep 14, 2016 12:13

I'm another one doing my optimization before hand and struggling to help clients do the same.

One service I haven't seen mentioned yet is TinyPNG.com which I love. They have a WordPress plugin though it requires using their paid service.

I find that the Photoshop Save for Web dialog is pretty good for JPGs but terrible for PNGs. Running PNGs through TinyPNG.com can sometimes reduce file size by 70%+ with no loss in quality except in rare cases. Highly recommended.

Also, some people probably don't realize that WordPress automatically reduces file sizes for cropped images (i.e., the sizes you set in Settings > Media). In WordPress 4.5 they actually increased the amount of compression for photos after a lot of testing showed no perceivable decrease in quality. There's now talk of trying to compress the full size images as well by default.

The developers in the house will be interested to know that the wp_editor_set_quality filter allows you to change the amount of photo compression on upload!

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
Seattle, WA

7.  RE: What Method are you using for Image Optimization?

Posted Sep 15, 2016 06:33

Thanks everyone ! 

Cindy, I assume the info in this discussion is quite exhaustive, but do let us know if there are any insights from your coming Word Camp. 

Ben 

Ben Carp
Embrace NGO