Digital Inclusion

last person joined: 5 days ago 

Help close the digital divide! Join us in supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs.
This Digital Inclusion group is focused on supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. It is designed to build community around digital inclusion and connect actors committed to helping close the digital divide.

New to the Group? Introduce yourself
Established: June 2016
Short link: http://community.nten.org/digital-inclusion

1.  Looking for Resources on Dialogic Communications for Inclusion

Posted May 16, 2017 17:13
Hello all,
I'm hoping that I can connect with this network to find best practices and resources on how nonprofit organizations can use social media as a dialogic communications tool. I'm in the Master of Nonprofit Leadership program at Seattle University, and working on my capstone project. My research question is:
How can nonprofit organizations use social media as a dialogic communications platform for inclusion, access and engagement of their emerging bilingual constituents?

While I have found great academic sources on dialogic communications, social media, and ESL respectively, I have found it difficult to find practices on how nonprofit organizations are using social media specifically with their emerging bilingual constituents. Ultimately, I would like to add to the conversation that nonprofit organizations, specifically community-based organizations, should do an evaluation of how they are using social media for inclusion and engagement of their bilingual communities (taking it beyond self promotion, and harnessing it for true dialogue and relationship building).

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you,
Kaily

------------------------------
Kaily Serralta

2.  RE: Looking for Resources on Dialogic Communications for Inclusion

Posted May 17, 2017 19:35
Welcome Kaily!

I've not heard the term dialogic communications before. Can you explain that more?

3.  RE: Looking for Resources on Dialogic Communications for Inclusion

Posted May 18, 2017 13:59
Great question, Bethany.

Michael L. Kent and Maureen Taylor (1998) define dialogic communication in "Building dialogic relationships through the world wide web" in the Public Relations Review. The authors note that a dialogic communication "refers to a particular type of relational interaction --one in which a relationship exists" and negotiated exchange of ideas and opinions (1998, p. 323). This differentiation is key as a "dialogue involves a cooperative, communicative relationship" between the organization and its stakeholders (p. 324).

For my capstone, I'm looking at how social media can use this framework for nonprofit organizations to really think about how are they engaging people who speak and in this case, write in a different language. My capstone is directed towards community-based organizations,who do serve bilingual constituents.

Does this help?

Thank you,
Kaily 

Kaily Serralta
Seattle, WA

4.  RE: Looking for Resources on Dialogic Communications for Inclusion

Posted May 18, 2017 17:19
Hi Kaily,

It sounds like you're looking for examples of non-profits using social media to engage people who speak languages besides English in an "exchange of ideas and opinions". Is that right? Do you have any examples of what kinds of exchanges would be relevant? I know some adult literacy programs and English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) programs have a social media presence that they use to engage learners. Have you looked at some of those types of accounts for relevant content?

Drew

Drew Pizzolato
Digital Inclusion Campaign Manager
Nonprofit Technology Network
Portland, OR
calendly.com/ntendrew

5.  RE: Looking for Resources on Dialogic Communications for Inclusion

Posted May 18, 2017 19:07
Yes, that's it, Drew! Dialogic communication is a solid framework for the evolution of social media usage by nonprofit organizations to really engage with their constituents. In this case, the added layer of language plays a role.

I'm actually working on criteria for what constitutes as a positive, authentic dialogic engagement, based on strategies and research. I've looked locally in Washington, and have reached out to other nonprofit leaders as to who they think does this engagement well. Casa Latina in Seattle is an example, with their bilingual posts on Facebook and Twitter.

Are there national examples that come to mind?

Thank you,
Kaily

Kaily Serralta
Seattle, WA

6.  RE: Looking for Resources on Dialogic Communications for Inclusion

Posted May 18, 2017 19:10
I should add that the reason I'm also looking into dialogic communication for bilingual constituents is that it further drives inclusion on digital media. By observation, it seems that it can be easy to exclude entire communities when there isn't a practice or training of how to engage people who speak/write in various languages online. While there is the translation ability, does it truly create a dialogue?

If you have any other thoughts, I would love to read them.

Kaily Serralta
Seattle, WA

7.  RE: Looking for Resources on Dialogic Communications for Inclusion

Posted May 19, 2017 14:05
Hi, Kaily! This may not be what you're looking for since it's a governmental organization, but Multnomah County Elections in Portland, Oregon has been tweeting in multiple languages. This year they created virtual "I voted" stickers in 10 languages as well. I don't work with them, but wanted to share in case it was helpful. Your capstone topic sounds fascinating!

Liza J Dyer, CVA
Program Coordinator, Volunteer Services
Multnomah County Library
Portland OR

8.  RE: Looking for Resources on Dialogic Communications for Inclusion

Posted May 20, 2017 20:29
Liza,
Thank you for the example. It's fantastic! In fact, it is very useful to see that nonprofit organization, who work with bilingual communities, may not be as further along with the adaptation of dialogic communications for this specific audience. It is a valid conclusion that I see emerging in my research.

Further down the road, I see the opportunity for nonprofit organizations to collaborate with higher education institutions in providing digital literacy tools and possibility, programs, to further the skills of bilingual constituents in communicating with these organizations.

If you have any other ideas, always welcome.

Thank you and best,
Kaily

Kaily Serralta
Seattle, WA

9.  RE: Looking for Resources on Dialogic Communications for Inclusion

Posted May 22, 2017 17:37
I found a national org example for you! The National Hispanic Council of Aging has posts on Twitter and Facebook in both Spanish and English.

Emily Weinberg
Organizer of Digital Inclusion Online Community