Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: 7 days ago 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters.
This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

Short link: http://community.nten.org/digital-communications

1.  How Do You Capture Social Media Advertisting ROI & Editorial Calendar

Posted Jan 06, 2017 13:20

Does anyone have a good tool (spreadsheet you’ve developed or app) for capturing the success of social media advertising campaigns across Google AdWords, Facebook Advertising, etc. all in one place that you would be willing to share? I’m looking for something that will make it easy for the C-suite to see the ROI over time.

Also, what do you find useful to use for an editorial calendar besides Excel? We’re looking for something that our team can access and that will show recurring events that happen every year that we need to plan for and also one-off events.

Thanks.

------------------------------
Gretchen Godwin
Director of Marketing
YMCA Of Montclair
Montclair, NJ

2.  RE: How Do You Capture Social Media Advertisting ROI & Editorial Calendar

Posted Jan 06, 2017 15:51
For editorial calendar, I use Asana projects/tasks with an editorial calendar tag (which can also be imported to/viewed in Google cal if you have people outside your team that wouldn't be in Asana but might want to look at the calendar) for planning and keeping tabs on recurring events and one-offs as well. I find it useful! I'm a team of one, but want to work on getting other folks in my org to actively use Asana for project management, which would make it that much more useful. 

Still use spreadsheet for content planning of newsletter, though, as it's easier to get full look at content of issues across span of time.

Thanks, 
Jess

Sprout.jpg

Jessica L. Atcheson

Marketing and Communications Manager

Pronouns: she, her, hers*

Boston Area Rape Crisis Center

617-649-1288 | jatcheson@barcc.org

www.barcc.org | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

BARCC: Dedicated to healing. Advocating for change.

*Unsure what this means? Feel free to ask me!

Statement of Confidentiality: Privacy is very important to the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center, and we will make every effort to ensure that confidential information is secure. Unfortunately, electronic communications can never be fully protected. Whenever possible, please refrain from including confidential information in your e-mail correspondence with us.  

If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, be advised that this message is intended only for the person(s) named above and may contain confidential or privileged information. Any disclosure, copying, dissemination, or taking of any action in reliance upon the information in this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and destroy this message and any attachments.

3.  RE: How Do You Capture Social Media Advertisting ROI & Editorial Calendar

Posted Jan 06, 2017 20:36

Hi, Gretchen! 

I can offer three dashboard tools that you can take a quick look at --

Kissmetrics (enterprise level solution starting at $200 / mo), Cyfe (starts at $19 / mo), and Google Analytics (free). Google Analytics is super comprehensive, but it does takes some skill to be able to configure the reporting.

I took a look at your website, and it appears that you're using WordPress for your CMS. There are a few great editorial calendar plugins that WordPress users like:

Editorial Calendar -- A free plugin intended mostly to allow you to see your posts and their status in calendar view. This plugin hasn't been updated in several months, but it is compatible with the must current version of WordPress. 

Nelio Content -- A freemium plugin that allows you to see your posts and their status in calendar view. Nelio Content also allows you to plan the promotion of your blog posts via social media; additionally, it has a content analysis function that's pretty useful, and it includes some post analytics. Plans start at $19 a month ($9 a month if paid annually). 

Coschedule -- A premium plugin that allows you to see your posts and their status in calendar view. Coschedule also allows you to plan the promotion of your blog posts via social media; additionally, Coschedule has post analytics, custom workflows and more. Plans start at $30 a month. 

Hope that helps! 

Good luck, 

Sandee 

Sandee Jackson
NTEN, Digital Communications CoP Co-Organizer
29:11 Creative, Web Designer / Digital Strategist
Charleston, SC

4.  RE: How Do You Capture Social Media Advertisting ROI & Editorial Calendar

Posted Jan 09, 2017 08:20

Thanks so much to both of you. I can't wait to explore these options.

Gretchen

gretchen godwin
Director of Marketing
YMCA Of Montclair
Montclair, NJ

5.  RE: How Do You Capture Social Media Advertisting ROI & Editorial Calendar

Posted Jan 10, 2017 09:32

Sandee,

I didn't know about Nellio Content as a WP plug-in and am really interested in looking into it. Thanks!

Gretchen,

I second the suggestion of looking into co-schedule. It's a great tool for all those reasons, plus a robust dashboard and easily allows multiple-team use.

As a person who loves her spreadsheets, especially metrics ones, I haven't developed any that really capture or overlay promoted content with organic, nor integrated paid advertising with visits/actions. I'd love to see something like that if others have an all-in-one dashboard. I usually keep these things in separate dashboards, which can become very unwieldy. I have a client that has an ad agency run all advertising for them and they find a lot of use of one overall report of all paid ads for the month and then compare paid ads with paid ads but not organic with paid. That seems to make a lot of sense to me.

Best,

Debra

Debra Askanase
Founder & Digital Engagement Strategist
Community Organizer 2.0
Waltham MA
(617) 682-2977

6.  RE: How Do You Capture Social Media Advertisting ROI & Editorial Calendar

Posted Jan 11, 2017 11:41
I use Microsoft Access for our editorial calendar. I used Google Calendars at a previous organization and loved it, particularly the color coding of the various calendars, but we are tracking too many variables and Access allows for that. The benefits of Access over Excel are the ability to create dropdown options for people to choose to keep input consistent. People often forget about Access. Excel is meant more for numbers.

I second the suggestion of Asana. I use Asana for my To Do List and project management. I even have a personal account. It's great! I wish I could use the more robust features for team project management and templates for editorial calendars and other things, but coworkers would not be interested in this type of new tool. They are a bit old school. I was able to use it at my previous organization to coordinate projects for my intern. I would suggest looking into it.

--Diane

Diane Greenhalgh

Senior Communications Analyst

National Resident Matching Program®

2121 K Street NW, Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20037

Phone: 202-499-5987 Email: media@nrmp.or

'