Discuss

last person joined: 14 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Introductions!

• 1.  Introductions!

Posted 11 days ago

Welcome to the NTEN General Discussion online community. This is the place where nonprofit technology professionals meet. While you're here, please check out our other communities.

Let's get to know each other! Please introduce yourself in this thread. Here are some prompts to get us started:

• Organization and your role there (or what role you'd like to have)
    • Something you can offer, something you need, or something you're working on
    Here's mine:
    My name is Lyndal Cairns and I'm NTEN's Membership & Engagement Director. That means my team probably wrote the email you read this morning, designed the button you're wearing and moderated the post you wrote yesterday. We couldn't do this without our members, so thank you for supporting our work.
    I live in Portland, OR, where the weather is sometimes iffy but the coffee is always spot on. My recent win was completing my Nonprofit Technology Professional Certificate! As someone without a lot of formal education, I was really excited to frame a certification that demonstrates the of skills I have learned and employed in my work at nonprofits. Something I can offer is connections. Here at NTEN, we meet talented people all the time. Hit me up if you're looking for new staff, consultants, or someone who has "been there" on a challenge your nonprofit is facing right now. We got you!

------------------------------
    Lyndal Cairns (pronouns: she/her)
    Membership & Engagement Director, NTEN
    503-272-8751
    lyndal@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg

• 2.  RE: Introductions!

Posted 8 days ago
    Hi Everyone! 

My name is Michael Hoffman and I am the founder of See3, a digital marketing agency that works with nonprofits. I am also the founder and CEO of Gather Voices, a technology company that enables organizations to easily collect, edit and publish videos from staff, donors, advocates, etc. Our product coaches users to make the video that you want from them on their own device. It then delivers the video back to you, with a release signed, into a content management system where you can brand, add a call to action, edit, caption and publish the video in a couple clicks. 

I live in Chicagoland and I've been a member of the NTEN community for more than a decade. I love working with clients on engagement strategies and particularly helping organizations get a lot more video content. Love to learn more about remote organizations, which is something we're building with Gather Voices.  I am also the founder of the DoGooder Video Awards, an annual event to honor the best nonprofit video that we do with NTEN and that culminates at the NTC each year - so if you have videos you love or you've made you'll get a chance to enter them soon.

Michael Hoffman

• 3.  RE: Introductions!

Posted 7 days ago
    Hey Michael, glad you're on here. I know the community will really benefit from your thoughtfulness and positivity.

Benjamin Childers
    Director of Account Services
    Engaging Networks
    Washington, DC

• 4.  RE: Introductions!

Posted 7 days ago
    Hi Fellow Chicagoan!

Welcome! Your work sounds fascinating. We are also a digital agency who works with both businesses and nonprofits - though it sounds like our focus is a little different.

Hope to run into you in our beautiful city!

All the best,

Cassie

Cassie Dennis
    Director, Monday Loves You
    cassie@mondaylovesyou.com
    Chicago IL

• 5.  RE: Introductions!

Posted 7 days ago
    Hello NTEN,

I'm a bit overdue for providing my introduction, and as I've posted today for the first time, I guess it's time to get this done. My name is Chris Casey. I'm a Virginian by birth, Californian by upbringing (Navy Dad), and a DC/Virginian by profession. My career in digital politics and advocacy began in the early 90's, when I was working for Sen. Edward Kennedy, and thanks to help from MIT's Artificial Intelligence Lab, I helped make him the first Member of Congress to have a website. Since then my career has included government, campaign, and non-profit experience in a variety of roles.

My current position is with a DC-based software startup called To|Someone. We build advocacy tools for Democratic candidates and progressive non-profits that use machine learning insights and integrations with third-party tools to optimize, simplify, and automate many tasks around supporter acquisition, fundraising, and reporting. If you've got 1:16 to spare, take a look at this explainer video about our tool Good Action.

My recent wins have been related to what is a new sort of role for me, working to reach others in our community to learn about how you're doing acquisition and fundraising, and explore where our tools might help (really, watch that video to help me win!).

Happy to connect with you all, and looking forward to coming to Portland in March!

Chris

Chris Casey - chris@tosomeone.com
    Vice President for Client Success, ToSomeone Inc.
    Washington, DC
    https://tosomeone.com/