WordPress

last person joined: 3 days ago 

A place for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels.
The WordPress group is an engaged network of WordPress developers and content managers, for all skill levels, by WordPress users for WordPress users, to encourage the usage of and advocate for WordPress.

Our goal: to support nonprofit organizations using (or interested in using) WordPress. Additionally, this is a safe and friendly place for beginning WordPress developers and users to ask questions and connect to like-minded people.

Short link: http://community.nten.org/wordpress

1.  Documentation Plugins

Posted Jul 11, 2016 21:43

Howdy all!

I'm thinking I might like to move a handbook (for our fabulous Nonprofit Tech Club organizers!) from a Google doc to WP. I have been told a documentation plugin is a good tool for it. What are your favorites?

Many thanks in advance!

------------------------------
Bethany Lister
Community Program Manager
Nonprofit Technology Network
bethany@nten.org

2.  RE: Documentation Plugins

Posted Jul 12, 2016 10:18
I'm curious to hear others' answer on this myself.  I'm still a wikispaces.com gal.

Cindy

Cindy Leonard, Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management at Robert Morris University, 
339 Sixth Ave, Ste 750, Pgh, PA 15222
p 412-397-6007 | f 412-397-6016 | leonard@rmu.edu | www.bcnm-rmu.org

3.  RE: Documentation Plugins

Posted Jul 12, 2016 10:43

Hey there! 

I love this idea for the Handbook. While I think it will be difficult to find a solution while the doc is in the editing / input phase (without custom coding), there are a couple of plugins I would recommend when you're ready to publish / share the handbook. 

There's a plugin I've used called Documentor -- comes in both a lite and premium version. It would allow you to set the handbook up using a Table of Contents like a navigation menu. It's easy enough to set up, but much easier if you know the that you plan to use it in advance (so you can put the doc in sections appropriately). 

Documentor - Create Product Documentation link to screenshots for lite version

WordPress.org remove preview
Documentor - Create Product Documentation
Great Products need Great Documentation!! Easily create Online Product Guide or Help Document.
View this on WordPress.org >

There's also another fairly popular premium plugin that does this called Docs Online Product Documentation WordPress Plugin that you can buy from Code Canyon.

Docs Online Product Documentation WordPress Plugin

CodeCanyon remove preview
Docs Online Product Documentation WordPress Plugin
Document WordPress plugin helps you to build and maintain online documentation for products or services in minutes. Our customers use document plugin as product or service manual docs, extensive FAQs, internal company documentations and much more. Create Multiple Documentation Pages Voting Public or Member Only Voting Easily set who can post a vote on your site from the plugin´s settings page.
View this on CodeCanyon >

Most WordPress folks will caution you against plugins you see there as their support policies are generally not customer friendly. 

Good luck!

Sandee

Sandee Jackson
NTEN, Digital Communications CoP Co-Organizer
29:11 Creative, Web Designer / Digital Strategist
Charleston, SC

4.  RE: Documentation Plugins

Posted Jul 12, 2016 15:03

I really like the Twenty Fifteen Theme (what I use on NonprofitWP.org) because of the left-hand navigation that feels very much like chapters or an outline. Table of Contents Plus (TOC+) is a good free plugin for generating those in-page tables of contents that follow the heading structure of each page.

Beyond that, it's hard to make more recommendations without knowing more details. If you need collaborative editing, better revisioning, or other things, those would also require plugins, but I think a simple documentation site can be almost entirely just plain WordPress with a simple theme.

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
Seattle, WA

5.  RE: Documentation Plugins

Posted Jul 13, 2016 11:55
Cindy, Sandee, Mark, THANK YOU, thank you, thank you for all these great comments. I have a lot to follow-up on. You all are ultimately helping me make NTEN's community programs better. Thank you!

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 12:03 PM, Mark Root-Wiley via NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network

--
Bethany Lister
Community Program Manager
NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network
http://nten.org | @NTENorg
503-272-8733

Take the 2016 Technology Staffing and Investments Survey for a chance to win a $500 VISA gift card! Your insights will help us provide benchmarks and qualitative data about technology decisions for the nonprofit sector.

6.  RE: Documentation Plugins

Posted Oct 10, 2016 16:23

Just wanted to follow-up and say THANK YOU all again! Our fabulous developer just set up Documentor in our sandbox. It's pretty neat so far.

Bethany Lister
Community Engagement Manager
bethany@nten.org

7.  RE: Documentation Plugins

Posted Oct 20, 2016 13:26

I wanted to circle back again and show off the fruits of this awesome thread:

I used the Documentor plugin to create this: http://www.nten.org/membership/member-center/help/. We're using it for several guides for NTC and our fabulous volunteer organizers as well. Woot!

jNCWHYEzSPGl4bCL6kbh_giphy (4).gif

Bethany Lister
Community Engagement Manager
bethany@nten.org

8.  RE: Documentation Plugins

Posted Oct 20, 2016 13:32
Nice work! Thanks for sharing with the group!

Cindy

Cindy Leonard, Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management at Robert Morris University, 
339 Sixth Ave, Ste 750, Pgh, PA 15222
p 412-397-6007 | f 412-397-6016 | leonard@rmu.edu | www.bcnm-rmu.org

It's time for TechNow! Register today to receive Early Bird rates! www.technowconference.org

9.  RE: Documentation Plugins

Posted Oct 20, 2016 14:00
Well I'm going to have to try that. I'm realizing my staff's understanding of our technology is "what I already know" and the second part is "Gord will do that for me". So I'm quite motivated to provide some helpful, simple, always available instructions for a number of tasks.