WordPress

last person joined: 3 days ago 

A place for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels.
The WordPress group is an engaged network of WordPress developers and content managers, for all skill levels, by WordPress users for WordPress users, to encourage the usage of and advocate for WordPress.

Our goal: to support nonprofit organizations using (or interested in using) WordPress. Additionally, this is a safe and friendly place for beginning WordPress developers and users to ask questions and connect to like-minded people.

Short link: http://community.nten.org/wordpress

1.  Any interest in Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) around here?

Posted Jan 03, 2017 10:31
Edited by Emilio Arocho Jan 03, 2017 10:31

Just curious about the NTEN community's collective awareness/interest in Accelerate Mobile Pages (AMP), an effort spearheaded by Google to increase page load times on mobile devices by using strict HTML/CSS/Javascript rules on alternate pages specifically made for Google. 

There are WordPress tools to make implementation easy, although I'm still somewhat hesitant and want to see the tools become more robust and let the technology shake out a little bit more. Most nonprofits would do better to focus on using a CDN and serving their website over HTTPS before even considering AMP, I think. 

That said, it's an exciting technology and the results speak for themselves.

------------------------------
Emilio Arocho
Technology and Web Operations Officer
Food and Drug Law Institute

2.  RE: Any interest in Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) around here?

Posted Jan 03, 2017 11:10

Me!

There were a couple of talks that mentioned it at WordCamp US last month, including this one on SEO: https://wordpress.tv/2016/12/11/joost-de-valk-wordpress-and-seo-in-2016/

If your nonprofit is a serious content creator, I think AMP would be worth adding to the 2017 watch list.

(Also on the watchlist: Facebook Instant Articles.)

Yesenia Sotelo
Double your audience with a SmartCause Method website.
SmartCause Digital
@silverbell

3.  RE: Any interest in Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) around here?

Posted Jan 03, 2017 17:58

Cool, I'll have to check out that talk. Thanks for weighing in!

Emilio Arocho
Technology and Web Operations Officer
Food and Drug Law Institute

4.  RE: Any interest in Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) around here?

Posted Jan 04, 2017 11:11

I have interest in it as well. I think for folks who want to give it a try, it's easy enough to implement using the plugin by Automattic. At least you know they are a reputable provider!

Though I would definitely prioritize the use of a CDN and SSL before trying out AMP.

Andy

Andy Stitt
Founder and WordPress Consultant
Deliberate Media Solutions
http://deliberatemediasolutions.com
Host of the WordPress for Nonprofits podcast
http://wpfornonprofits.org/

5.  RE: Any interest in Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) around here?

Posted Jan 04, 2017 12:11

This is such a good question. Thanks for posing it, Emelio!

I agree with everyone's sentiment that speeding up your primary site should take precedence. All the techniques used for AMP pages can be implemented on a normal website too! Google not only shows AMP pages in search but considers the main website's speed for search rankings, so AMP isn't the only Google-SEO related speed technique.

Yesenia also makes a great point about Facebook Instant Articles.

If I were to implement AMP, I'd join Andy in using that plugin by Automattic, but everyone should be aware that it's only for Posts by default. My sense right now is that AMP is best for sites that post a lot of blog content and aim to get into the Google News results (separate from normal search results).

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
Seattle, WA

6.  RE: Any interest in Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) around here?

Posted Jan 05, 2017 08:16

This is great. Thanks for sharing! We are a np media site so I think working on AMP would be a priority in 2017, maybe even 2018. Any and all resources are welcome! 

Samantha Canuel
Digital Projects Coordinator
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Atlanta, Ga

7.  RE: Any interest in Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) around here?

Posted Jan 09, 2017 03:41

Mike Hale gave a presentation at WordCamp Ann Arbor about AMP. Here's the link:

http://wordpress.tv/2017/01/06/mike-hale-amp-it-up-using-google-accelerated-mobile-pages-with-wordpress/

Jason King
Freelance WordPress development and Google Ad Grant management
Carcassonne, France

www.kingjason.co.uk

Twitter: @jasoncsking

8.  RE: Any interest in Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) around here?

Posted Jan 19, 2017 08:20
We have been pushing AMP for about a year now to our clients.....not so much our nonprofit clients - but definitely our blogger clients. We implemented it on our own website as well. I highly recommend it - we have seen a growth in organic traffic coming to our AMP pages (our own and clients for which we have set it up for) - as well as people clicking on links in our AMP pages to go to our main website. 

There is a lot of people saying it is a waste if you have a well optimized site, but I disagree. Even when websites are mobile friendly - they are still usually loading a ton of code, elements and scripts which still impedes the experience in my opinion. 

I had done a case study (which I will be updating one more time this week) --- for a blogger who implemented AMP - the results were fast and positive! Yes, there are some not so great attributes about this functionality, but for us the higher CTR and increased organic traffic are sure worth it. I do plan on rolling this out to our nonprofit clients that actively update blogs and news areas. I am not convinced yet that I want pages to be AMP --- but am definitely in favor of the news and blog areas.

AMP Pages A Case Study Of Results After 1 Week

Jill Caren
2 Dogs Media, LLC
jill@2dogsdesign.com
https://www.2dogsdesign.com