#19NTC

last person joined: 24 minutes ago 

This is the community forum for 2019 Nonprofit Technology Conference (#19NTC) registrants. Use this group ask and answer questions, talk about the sessions that you're presenting or that you're excited to attend, and find other attendees to connect with before or during the conference.

Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

• 1.  Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 19 days ago

Hi everyone,

My organization is embarking on what will likely be a multiyear initiative to transform our technical infrastructure by investing in CRM to connect the entire enterprise. We're going to need to ask many, many people to change how they do things in order to serve our broader organizational goals, and while I'm confident in our approach and believe in our vision, it's going to require buckets of change management and training (also therapy and wine.)

I'm looking to meet folks who can share stories from the trenches about how your CRM transformation has progressed. What really worked? If you could go back and do it again, what would you change? I'm less worried about the technology, and much more about how to help the people who need to use it.

If you're open to it, I'd love to set up time to speak 1:1 with you at NTC. This is my introvert-attending-a-conference solo technique for not feeling totally lost in a crowd for days!

Looking forward to spending next week with you in one of my favorite cities!

------------------------------
    Lauren Bracey Scheidt
    Director of Product, Platforms
    NPR | Washington, DC

• 2.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 19 days ago
    Good luck Lauren!

Haha, our organization is about to embark on the same adventure, so I can empathize. If you figure out the secret, let me know! I don't know about you, but I would consider our CRM integration a huge success if we could just cut our collection of google spreadsheets in half. I love google sheets as much as anyone else, but when you're feeding form responses into a spreadsheet with thousands of google contacts, I really miss the Salesforce Lightening interface... or anything else...

We did just make it (mostly, fingers crossed) through a big transformation in operations technology. One of our teams just switched from paper & pen record-keeping to a fully digitized and automated donation/inventory management system.

Every part of the process took at least twice as long as I expected, and actually a big factor to our success was probably our ability to push back against and flex some of the deadlines we had along the way. With everything else going on, our team had a really tough time putting aside other work to make training & implementation a priority. We had to raise the base level of technical training for the whole team, and I had to raise the level of my spanish-speaking abilities, before we were able to really take off.

Another big help was making sure that our staff knew that they had: 1) our leadership's full and vocal support for the entire transition process and 2) constant access to tech training and support (in our case, this was just my cell number *sigh*).

Joe Bobman
    (pronouns: he/him/his)
    Technology & Engagement Manager
    Food Forward
    Los Angeles, CA

• 3.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 18 days ago
    Hi Lauren!

We are in the same boat here!  About to embark on a major project to merge our Salesforce and Blackbaud databases into a fully-developed version of one or the other.    I'm hoping to meet orgs that have gone through the process before and meet deployment partners that know this type of work and want to connect and bid on an RFP.    I'd be happy to share our learnings with you.

Thanks,
    Steven

Steven Best
    CRM Systems Manager
    David Suzuki Foundation
    sbest@davidsuzuki.org

• 4.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 18 days ago
    ​Hey Lauren,

I think I met you at NTC last year and you talked then about finally getting approval to switch to a new system/vendor (Salesforce?).  I'm in the midst of the same process right now (though not with Salesforce), so would be happy to chat.  Let me know when you can connect in Portland.

Thanks!
    Michelle

Michelle Hodalj
    Chicago, IL

• 5.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 18 days ago
    Lauren,
    I'd be willing to chat about our CRM upgrade projects and process. We integrated two different orgs using separate CRMs into one CRM (Salesforce NPSP) after a merger a few years ago and we learned a lot. Some of that knowledge was definitely of the "bitter wisdom" variety, so I'd be happy to share some of our mistakes with you, in addition to the things we did well.  Not to mention that as a fellow introvert this will be a good opportunity for me to not feel intimidated in a sea of strange faces. Feel free to reach out to me at sean@wecprotects.org to set up a time to chat. Or if you have specific questions or things you want to know about, I can prep my thoughts and notes.  I'll be in Portland starting Tuesday night--I'm taking the train down from Seattle so I might use that time to write up some thoughts for you.

Sean Pender
    Administrative Director
    Washington Environmental Council
    Seattle, WA

• 6.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 18 days ago
    Full disclosure: I'm a consultant who helps nonprofits embark on CRM transformations of the kind you're describing. I'd be glad to spend time talking about the experience, and what we see as pitfalls and ingredients for success, and I promise not to waste your time with a sales pitch. I also encourage you to attend my sessions, including https://www.nten.org/ntc/program/sessions/the-right-fit-vendor-client-relationships-from-marketing-to-sales-to-success/ and https://www.nten.org/ntc/program/sessions/solving-the-crm-email-website-equation/ both of which are especially relevant to someone at the stage you're at.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 7.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 18 days ago
    Also full disclosure, I'm a consultant...

While I'm not presenting this year, I did help author a toolkit that could be useful for getting your ducks in a row if your staff is on the leaner side. Making Wise Decisions - A decision-making tool to help you choose the right CRM solution. While it appears to have a client tracking bent, I've been working with grantees from several foundations and they are finding it a great agnostic tool for knowing process for this work.  The toolkit, and all the Google Docs templates that go with it, are a public good/free to use.

I'm happy to meet you 1:1 and talk through it if that is helpful!

My best,
    Betsy

Betsy Block
    B3 Consults
    Oakland, CA

• 8.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 17 days ago
    Lauren,

I'd love to chat if it can help! I'm coming from a fundraising perspective, but I was a database manager previously, and in my current role oversaw the first leg of our database transition and worked with a small team on logistics for the rest.

I learned a LOT, so I'm always happy to chat; just let me know!

Karianna

Karianna Barr
    Senior Development Manager
    Prosperity Now
    Washington, DC

• 9.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 17 days ago
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall for these discussions! Please keep me in the loop.

Janis Post
    Business Manager
    Great Lakes Protection Fund
    Evanston, IL

• 10.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 17 days ago
    Hi Lauren.

This is a common and important topic that all organizations go through at some point. I am currently in the middle of implementing a CRM for our organization and the process has been a tough start. I was hired 3 years ago, and my first job was to implement a CRM...and I'm now just doing it...enough said! I'd be happy to talk and share my failures so far. And I noticed that there are quite a bit of sessions about CRMs as well.

Randall Coleman
    Non-GMO Project
    Bellingham, WA

• 11.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 17 days ago
    Hi Lauren -  fellow introvert here, but would to meet up and talk with your (or anyone else that's in a similar situation). I am in the end stages of a similar journey of migration & integration. We're on Salesforce NPSP as a CRM now, with all the various integrations & connectors to make things work for us. I learned a lot (and actually became a Certified Admin in the process), and definitely hit some road bumps asking people to change how they've always done things (but they're starting to come around now!). Anyway, let me know if you want to grab coffee and chat :)

Kelly Kopish
    Database & Digital Marketing, Epilepsy Foundation of MN
    Epilepsy Foundation of MN
    St. Paul, MN

• 12.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 17 days ago
    Hi Lauren -

I endured this transformation at my former job (just left a month ago), and am gearing up to endeavor it at my new job (am only two weeks on the job). I would be happy to discuss with you - and anyone else who's interested. I feel I may find myself in your shoes 'round this time next year! I'll send you a connect invite in app.

Best -
    Allison Albert Guercio
    Marketing Manager
    Oyster Recovery Partnership

Allison Albert Guercio
    Oyster Recovery Partnership
    Annapolis, MD

• 13.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 16 days ago

Hi Lauren,

I've gone through this process several times both as a nonprofit staff member and as a consultant. My old association was fortunate enough to have someone on our CRM transition team that was a change management expert – I still believe it was her decision frameworks and strategies that made all of the difference (we came in on time, on budget, with little drama). I'd be happy to sit down and share some of the lessons learned and strategies we employed in that process.

Best,

Gordon

Gordon Withers
    Director, Digital Services
    Fionta
    Washington, DC

• 14.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 15 days ago
    Hi Everyone,

I am the sole person on the CRM team for my rapidly scaling nonprofit. I've led and contributed to multiple conversions, so I would love to nerd out over data culture, decision frameworks, and best practices!

Best,

LJ

Lila Mabe
    New York, NY

• 15.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 14 days ago
    Hi all,

I'm a data/CRM consultant and teach a class related to Data Driven Fundraising for NTEN. I am interested in all conversations related to digital transformation, CRM and data culture!!

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

• 16.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 16 days ago

Thank you so much everyone! I'll be in touch individually to set up times to chat.

Lauren Bracey Scheidt
    Director of Product
    NPR | Washington, DC

• 17.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 16 days ago
    Hi Lauren, and everyone else who has posted here. Our organization is also right in the middle of a CRM implementation and we would love to spend time with anyone would would be willing to talk about the subject. Looking forward to it. Thanks!

Jesse Teasley
    Corona, CA

• 18.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 15 days ago
    Hi Lauren,

My organization has recently completed the kind of journey you're describing. It's hard for me to actually say "it's completed," because so much of the value we've gotten from our journey has been from a data culture perspective, and we're still reaping rewards from this journey in surprising and really gratifying ways. I definitely learned a lot that I'd be happy to share.

Please just find me on the NTC app and hopefully we can chat!

Emilio Arocho
    Director, Technology and Digital Strategy
    Food and Drug Law Institute

Community Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group.

• 19.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 14 days ago

Hi all,

I will *also* reach out to you individually - forthcoming! - but since there are so many people with interest in this topic, I'd like to also suggest a dinner meet up. There's no scheduled dinner on Wednesday evening, so anyone who's interested, let's meet at 6:30 pm at Pine Street Market for group therapy/CRM transformation discussion! Please let me know on the thread if you are planning to come.

Pine Street Market is a food hall style marketplace that is easily accessible to the Convention Center and downtown hotels via the MAX with lots of different food vendors.

CRM Transformation Survival Dinner Meet-Up
    Wednedsay, March 13, 6:30 pm
    Pine Street Market
    126 SW 2nd Ave

Lauren Bracey Scheidt
    Director of Product
    NPR | Washington, DC

• 20.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 14 days ago
    I will be there on Wednesday.  Thanks, Lauren!

Best,
    Michelle

Michelle Hodalj
    Chicago, IL

• 21.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 13 days ago
    Hi Lauren,

I would love to join the discussion, too. I am positioning our organization to begin this journey and would really appreciate tapping into this collective wisdom and experience.

Michele Belisle
    Director of IT
    The Saint Paul & Minnesota Foundations
    St. Paul, MN

• 22.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 12 days ago
    Hi All,

I'm a former end user, and now consultant, who has worked on dozens of technology transformation projects with nonprofits of all sizes and types in the past ten years. My area of expertise is Salesforce implementation and core applications to support fundraising, communications and programs - and most of the organizations I work with are coming from enterprise platforms like Raisers Edge, Luminate, PIDI, and ROI.

Always happy to talk CRM and love to hear the questions and challenges folks have in their technology transformation journeys. Feel free to reach out if you want to chat! 

(Disclaimer: I work for Appirio, a Salesforce implementation partner. No sales pitch though, I'm here solo just to stay in touch with the community and absorb the latest NP Tech trends!)

• 23.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 13 days ago
    I'll be there Wednesday as well. Looking forward to it! Safe travels, everyone!
    L'avventura è laggiù!

• 24.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 13 days ago
    I'd like to meet on this topic Wednesday, dinner would be nice. I have been working with CRM systems business, in one way or another, for over ten years, and for over two years at my current nonprofit.

Tim Shores
    Platform Analyst
    VentureWell
    Hadley, MA

• 25.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 13 days ago
    Lauren,
    I very likely won't be there Wednesday for the dinner as I'm meeting a friend who lives in Portland for beers that night. I can still meet individually and share some thoughts about our CRM upgrade process, just let me know a few times that work for you and we can figure something out.

Sean Pender
    Administrative Director
    Seattle, WA

• 26.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 13 days ago
    Hi All,

I'd love to join the conversation.  Having one system for the whole organization doesn't seem like a possibility for us right now but we're currently trying to figure out how to get our different databases to talk to each other.   If you don't mind me listening in to the discussion, I'll join the dinner on Wednesday.

Acasia Flores
    Development Program Manager, Data Research & Analysis
    National Immigration Law Center
    Los Angeles, CA

• 27.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 13 days ago
    I'm in for dinner. We are working through this as well (beginning stages) and I'd love some therapy! :)

Bridgette

Bridgette O'Connor
    East Lansing, MI

• 28.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 13 days ago
    I'm in for the dinner discussion. Thanks for suggesting (and for bringing up one of my favorite topics (love/hate really :)
    We completed a complicated platform switch from Blackbaud (multiple channels) to Salesforce (muliple apps) a couple of years ago and are gearing up for another. Looking forward to meeting with this group!
    See you all soon,
    Emilie

Emilie Valentine
    Director of Technology and Internet Strategy
    Temple Emanu-El, San Francisco

• 29.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 11 days ago
    If I can find you all, I'll be there!
    Thanks for putting this together, Lauren.

Z Rose Ibanez
    Institute for Educational Advancement
    Pasadena, CA

• 30.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 13 days ago
    Lauren,

We recently launched Salesforce using NPSP as our CRM.  We are using Partner Community for our federated chapters to manage their local orgs as well as a member community for our public facing engagements.  The process took well over 2 years from assessment to launch (can't say we are finished) but certainly would be willing to share what our process was, what worked well in that process and what didn't.  Our Salesforce Administrator will also be attending 19NTC this year and could also provide valuable information on our transition.

A little about us, we are NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness and are the largest grassroots organizations focused on those impacted by mental health conditions.  We have over 600 federated chapters in our alliance some at the State level and most in local communities.

If you are interested in connecting, please send me a private message and I can provide you with my mobile number so we can connect.

James Stewart
    CIO
    NAMI
    Arlington, VA

• 31.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 11 days ago
    I'm also interested. We are about to embark on a project to replace both our CRM and website. I expect I can learn a bunch from hearing about your experiences.

Stacey Monty
    Earthwatch Institute
    smonty@earthwatch.org

• 32.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 13 days ago
    Hi Lauren,
    I'm late to this discussion but would love to chat if we can find a time to do so.  I am in the middle of doing exactly what you're talking about  - in our case from Blackbaud to Salesforce.  It is a challenging undertaking to be sure.  Would love to discucss it with you!

Rob Foley
    IT Director - The Scholarship Foundation of St. Louis

• 33.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 13 days ago
    Wednesday night is a really busy night at the show: there are at least three happy hours and a few community events following. Is anyone is interested in meeting for lunch on Thursday?

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 34.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 13 days ago
    Wednesday night is a little crazy for me, as well, so I'd love to get together for Thursday lunch or over any breakfasts if there's interest!

Karianna

Karianna Barr
    Senior Development Manager
    Prosperity Now
    Washington, DC

• 35.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 12 days ago
    Lunch on Thursday would be GREAT. We can always continue the conversation Thursday night for those who want more!! Lauren? What do you think?
    Emilie

Emilie Valentine
    Director of Technology and Internet Strategy
    Temple Emanu-El, San Francisco

• 36.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 12 days ago
    A lot of stuff is happening Wednesday night.  If anyone would like to meet up Thursday evening to talk about CRM transformations let me know!

Steven Best
    CRM Systems Manager
    (604) 732-4228 x.1212
    219-2211 W 4th Ave.,
    Vancouver, B.C., V6K 4S2
    Please note: I am in the office Mon. – Thur.

• 37.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 13 days ago
    Correction (now that I'm caught up on this whole thread)... I'll plan to attend the dinner on Wed.  Sounds great and look forward to discussing with all of you!

Rob Foley
    IT Director - The Scholarship Foundation of St. Louis

• 38.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 13 days ago
    Hi Lauren (& everyone else in the thread!)
    My organization is in the middle of this transition - we're transitioning our CRM, donations processor, and email marketing platform - so would love to share any learnings and hear more about tools others are using!  I won't be able to attend Wednesday dinner, but would love to set up some conversations.

Jaimie An
    Pronouns: she, her, hers
    Echoing Green
    New York, NY
    jaimie@echoinggreen.org

• 39.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 12 days ago
    My plans for Wednesday changed (to Tuesday) so I'll plan to be at the dinner on Wednesday night. Is it weird to say I'm excited to talk about CRM transitions and related topics like user adoption and data analysis? So be it. Thanks for organizing this Lauren.

Sean Pender
    Administrative Director
    Seattle, WA

• 40.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 12 days ago
    I've built, implemented and managed adoption of fundraising CRM systems.  I'd love to connect and meet up for dinner.  It's one of my favorite topics!

Wes Moon
    Toronto, ON

• 41.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 12 days ago

Hi everyone,

Wow, this escalated quickly. In the good way! ;)

Here is the plan:

• I am reaching out to several people to have 1:1 discussions. I plan to use the NTC app to do so, now that I have my agenda together, so look for messages there. I so appreciate that so many people responded to initial post, and there's *no way* that I'll get to do 30 minutes with every person on the thread. If I don't reach out to you to schedule, please forgive me! I'm focusing on organizations that appear to have a similar level of complexity to my own. (More ways to screw up ;)
    • I am organizing dinner on Wednesday at Pine Street Market. It's great if you can drop by! It's ok if you can't!
      CRM Transformation Survival Dinner Meet-Up

Wednedsay, March 13, 6:30 pm
      Pine Street Market
      126 SW 2nd Ave
    • I can't take on organizing breakfast or lunch other days, but others here should feel empowered to organize things! Please feel free to continue to use this thread. Obviously there are a lot of us in this boat and it can feel lonely at times. (I just fielded a nastygram about our CRM from a colleague I would normally view as a friend and I'm fuming.)
    • Please feel free to say hello to me anytime this week, and thanks again for the outpouring of support.
    Looking forward to meeting you all.

Lauren Bracey Scheidt
    Director of Product
    NPR | Washington, DC

• 42.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 12 days ago
    Hi folks,

Great to see members of our community come together to support each other around CRM transformation.

I just wanted to second Isaac's note above and recommend our session on the Vendor-Client relationship when undertaking a technology transformation project like the ones some of you are exploring: The Right Fit: Vendor-Client Relationships from Marketing to Sales to Success The session is Wednesday at 3:15 in room 256.

Also, if any of you would like to mingle with fellow nonprofit techies on your way to the meetup at Pine Street Market, we'd love to have you join us at Spirit of 77 (right across the street from the Convention Center) on Wednesday at 5:30. Feel free to RSVP here or just show up! Party in PDX with EveryAction

Thanks,

Matt

Matt Thompson
    Vice President
    EveryAction
    Washington, DC

• 43.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 11 days ago
    I think I'm a little late but I'd love to join the dinner!

Alex Wu
    Technology Director
    Tutoring Chicago
    Chicago, IL

• 44.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 11 days ago
    Planning to join, but will be late. I’ll look for a group! Emilie

Sent from mobile device

• 45.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 11 days ago
    How do I find out group at pine Street market?

Tim Shores
    Platform Analyst
    VentureWell
    Hadley, MA

• 46.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 10 days ago
    It was great getting together last night. Thank you to Lauren for putting this all together. I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any interest in also getting together tonight as well. I was thinking same time and same place to make it simple but open to other ideas. If anyone has any interest let me know.

Jesse Teasley
    Sr. Director of IT/IS
    Open Doors USA
    Santa Ana, CA

• 47.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 10 days ago
    Hi,
    It is a great idea to meet tonight as well and take the discussion forward. How about The Melting Pot on 6th Avenue near Pioneer Square   Station? 

Medha
    --
    Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Techonology Adviser for Non Profits
    650-600-9374

• 48.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 10 days ago
    The Melting Pot sounds good to me. See you and anyone else that wants to meet at 6PM.

Jesse Teasley
    Sr. Director of IT/IS
    Open Doors USA
    Santa Ana, CA

• 49.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews

Posted 10 days ago

Thanks to everyone who came to Pine Street Market last night! It was so great to hear your stories and share mine. There were so many more people than I expected and I think that speaks to the challenge and opportunity in our space.

Please do feel free to reach out either here or via LinkedIn!

Best,

~LBS

Lauren Bracey Scheidt
    Director of Product
    NPR | Washington, DC

• 50.  RE: Meet at NTC: CRM transformation interviews