WordPress

last person joined: 2 days ago 

A place for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels.
The WordPress group is an engaged network of WordPress developers and content managers, for all skill levels, by WordPress users for WordPress users, to encourage the usage of and advocate for WordPress.

Our goal: to support nonprofit organizations using (or interested in using) WordPress. Additionally, this is a safe and friendly place for beginning WordPress developers and users to ask questions and connect to like-minded people.

Current organizers: Cindy Leonard, Jason King, and Mark Root-Wiley
Short link: http://community.nten.org/wordpress
Anyone can join and contribute to this group! Just create an account to get started.

1.  WP Question of the Month - August 2016

Posted Aug 01, 2016 17:11

Happy Monday everyone!

I found really great question in my compiled list for this month:

How do you manage your Media Library when it starts growing out of control?

I look forward to hearing your answers!

Cindy

------------------------------
Cindy Leonard
Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management
Pittsburgh, PA

2.  RE: WP Question of the Month - August 2016

Posted Aug 02, 2016 09:31

Before uploading files to the Media Library, name them in short, descriptive plain English. With spaces between words. For example:

Debonair goat reading newspaper.jpg

Then when you upload the files, they will automatically be given tidy titles.

If you expect to upload a lot of images, and if many of those images have something in common, name them in a standard fashion. For example I recently uploaded 100 icons to represent health issues. They had names like:

Dentist round green icon.png

Hospital square blue icon.png

Doctor square red icon.png

That will make it so easy to search for all red or all round icons, or all icons for dentists. The ability to search for media is key, because Wordpress out-of-the-box provides no way to categorise media.

Every image should be given an ALT (alternative text) tag. Whereas the title is mainly for your benefit within WordPress, the ALT tags should be meaningful to the visitor.

But what if you are going to have hundreds of images? Use a plugin such as WP Media Category Management (can't vouch for it, not used it, there are others) to enable categorisation of media.

Or, if you are comfortable adding a little code to your site, read Creating Categories and Tags for Your WordPress Media.

Jason King
WordPress Web Developer
London
www.kingjason.co.uk

Twitter: @jasoncsking

3.  RE: WP Question of the Month - August 2016

Posted Aug 02, 2016 13:21

I'd 2nd Jason's suggestions. The #1 thing to do is preemptively title media in the library immediately upon uploading it. Any other way risks neglect and lost knowledge. (I also like to store information about the date and photo credit in the Description field when doing this.)

People often are unsure about how the Title and Description fields in the Media Library are used:

• Both fields are mostly for administrative use.
  • Depending on your theme, the Title and Description may be visible on "Attachment Pages" for media library items. However, these pages are rarely linked to from any public place, so most people won't see it.

A few times, I've used the Enhanced Media Library plugin. This adds Categories and Tags to media items along with useful filters to quickly browse the media library.

But even then, it's hard to beat the Search used in conjunction with good titles!

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
Seattle, WA

4.  RE: WP Question of the Month - August 2016

Posted Aug 02, 2016 20:00
I've used the Enhanced Media Library with one of my clients who had an usually large number of media files.  They are a sizable local library, so they used the categories to mark things like "Children" "Adults" "Teens" "Computer Lab" "Board of Directors" "Events" etc.

The only bummer we ever found with that plugin was when we rebult the site this past year to have responsive design.  When we exported the media library and imported it into the new hosting space, the categories didn't come along - had to go through and tag them all again manually (which took three of us several hours to complete).

Cindy

Cindy Leonard, Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management at Robert Morris University, 
339 Sixth Ave, Ste 750, Pgh, PA 15222
p 412-397-6007 | f 412-397-6016 | leonard@rmu.edu | www.bcnm-rmu.org

5.  RE: WP Question of the Month - August 2016

Posted Aug 03, 2016 11:29

My company is actively developing a plugin to help manage the Media Library, which inevitably gets messy as a site gets older:

Media DeDuper Plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/media-deduper/

This plugin, the first of it’s kind, helps you find and eliminate duplicate images and attachments in your WordPress library. Not only does it clean up your library, but it prevents future duplicates from being created.

Take a look and let us know if you have feedback!

Thanks,

Lesley

Lesley Molecke
Chief Relationship Officer
Cornershop Creative
cornershopcreative.com

6.  RE: WP Question of the Month - August 2016

Posted Aug 03, 2016 11:37
Ooooo!

Quick question - does it also make a determination about whether a media file is in use (and does it let you know that) before giving you an option to remove the duplicate?

Cindy

Cindy Leonard, Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management at Robert Morris University, 
339 Sixth Ave, Ste 750, Pgh, PA 15222
p 412-397-6007 | f 412-397-6016 | leonard@rmu.edu | www.bcnm-rmu.org

7.  RE: WP Question of the Month - August 2016

Posted Aug 03, 2016 11:38

Hi Lesley,

I tell users to only upload an image once, insert it however many times you need. Do they ever listen? I tried a similar plugin once and it failed to spot if images were being used as a Featured Image, so couldn't rely on it.

But I notice that your Media Deduper plugin does has that feature, so will give it a try and eave a review.

May I make a suggestion? If you don't already, display a message recommending the website owner makes a full backup before using it. Not everyone understands how their own website might use images in galleries, shortcodes etc.

Jason King
WordPress Web Developer
London
www.kingjason.co.uk

Twitter: @jasoncsking