Discuss

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources.
Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

New to the group? Introduce yourself!
Reminder: Job posts are not allowed. Please visit the Nonprofit Tech Job Board to post a job or search for career opportunities.
Current organizers: Keith Berner and Ariel Jensen-Vargas
Short link: http://community.nten.org/ntendiscuss
Anyone can join and contribute to this group! Just create an account to get started.

Topic: What events are you putting on or attending during February?

1.  What events are you putting on or attending during February?

Posted Jan 25, 2017 12:18

Hi all,

While we ultimately want the NTEN community platform to focus on discussion and therefore typically we discourage event promo posts (see the Community Guidelines), we recognize the importance of learning about nonprofit tech-related opportunities. Let’s experiment with a monthly thread for sharing upcoming events.

What events are you putting on or attending during February? Let’s try to keep it chatty: Instead of just pasting the event description, why are you excited about this event? (If the event is in-person, how can someone participate or take advantage of the content from afar?)

------------------------------
Bethany Lister
Community Engagement Manager
Nonprofit Technology Network
bethany@nten.org

2.  RE: What events are you putting on or attending during February?

Posted 30 days ago
Thanks for starting this thread, Bethany! I'm happy to kick things off and will do my best to stay chatty! (Great advice, that.)

I'm thrilled to be teaching NTEN's upcoming online course on "Anatomy of a Website Redesign." The main presentation is on February 15 with readings before and homework after. I am so excited to share the hard-won lessons I've learned myself in helping people redesign their websites. I'm even more excited that the (short!) homework will focus on helping people start planning immediately.

I'm doing everything I can to make the course not just informative but applicable. I'm also trying to skip over the boring stuff and infuse the presentation with useful tips and tricks—the stuff you wouldn't know until someone tells you. If anyone has lessons they've learned and think should be mentioned during the course, feel free to reach out to me via email or through the NTEN messaging system.

I hope to see some of you online on Feb 15!

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
Seattle, WA

3.  RE: What events are you putting on or attending during February?

Posted 29 days ago

Online Courses (Story Telling)
Description: An opportunity for the community to share practices, wisdom and experiences that encourage others to take risks in order to pursue their own passions and interests.
· Short Outline: We share the components of storytelling and metaphors that create the strongest online courses

Anthony Caufield
Organizer
Tech4Good-LV
North Las Vegas

4.  RE: What events are you putting on or attending during February?

Posted 29 days ago
Thanks for sharing, Tony! 

Why are you excited about this event? When and where does it take place? How can someone learn more?

--
Bethany Lister
Community Engagement Manager
NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network
http://nten.org | @NTENorg
503-272-8733

The Nonprofit Technology Conference has more than 100 sessions, all handpicked by nonprofit professionals. Please join us in DC in March!

5.  RE: What events are you putting on or attending during February?

Posted 26 days ago
Tuesday Feb 7th from 6 to 8pm at Asher College in Las Vegas.

https://www.meetup.com/tech4goodLV/events/234738826/

Tony

Anthony Caufield
Organizer
Tech4Good-LV
North Las Vegas

6.  RE: What events are you putting on or attending during February?

Posted 24 days ago
Hi everybody, 

Happy Wednesday! I wanted to share that my organization 501Partners is starting a free 30 min educational webinar series this month. 

The first webinar will take place Feb. 23 (12-12:30 pm) and will Cover Attendance Tracking in Salesforce. Everybody is welcome to attend and we welcome suggestions for future webinar topics. 

Any tips/insights on hosting effective webinars? I'm so excited for our first one! 

P.s. Thank you Bethany for starting this thread! 

William LePage
501Partners

7.  RE: What events are you putting on or attending during February?

Posted 24 days ago
I'll be attending and speaking at the Association of Advancement Services Professionals' Northern California symposium on Feb. 9 at UC Davis. It's designed for people who manage or support fundraising and membership operations. The sessions include:
  • Integrating Agile Scrum Methodology into Advancement Services Teams
  • Data Standards vs. Business Rules
  • Roundtable discussions of system conversions, gift processing, and business intelligence
  • Centralizing Paperless Gift Processing
  • Strategic Information Management
  • Supporting the Donor Relations Function
  • Management Problems disguised as Advancement Services Problems

Information and registration are at http://www.advserv.org/event/NC2017

I hope to see some NTEN folks there!

Robert L. Weiner Consulting
San Francisco, CA
415/643-8955
robert@rlweiner.com
www.rlweiner.com
Twitter: @robert_weiner

Strategic Technology Advisors to Nonprofit and Educational Institutions

8.  RE: What events are you putting on or attending during February?

Posted 10 days ago
I am attending the DC Nonprofit Tech Club event next week - 5 Must-Dos for Actionable Insights from Your Digital Data.  It's on Wednesday, February 22nd at 6:00 pm. 

Emily Weinberg
Organizer of Digital Inclusion Online Community
Washington, DC

9.  RE: What events are you putting on or attending during February?

Posted 10 days ago
Hi everyone!

Here's an event I'm excited about putting on tomorrow.

Community IT Innovators is trying out a different format for our monthly free webinar this February and it's also a topic that I hope will be of interest to many of you - how to tame the volume of information and data that your organization produces so that you can know what you know and manage it coherently! 

Tomorrow Feb 16th from 4-4:30pm EST our colleagues at Build Consulting (who, it must be said, specialize in answering information management questions) will join us for a 30 minute webinar. So if you have trouble committing to an hour, don't let that stop you this month.

Build is planning to present their framework on information management basics - a "big picture" view of what you need to tackle in order to get your data under control. Future short webinars are going to delve into practical aspects of taming the data beast.

As many of our organizations are forced to respond faster and faster to rapidly developing events it is more important than ever to have the data you need at your fingertips when you need it. I'm excited to help present this discussion on how to do that. Our webinars are appropriate for a varied audience and aim to be technology accessible - if we do use jargon we'll define it first.

Just a note about our webinars if you haven't attended one yet - Community IT Innovators provides webinars to help inform our community, and we don't use them for sales, so don't worry about being hounded to death once we get your email - it's not like that! I've been on the receiving end of that - and we just don't do it. You'll be signed up for our monthly newsletter and can unsubscribe any time - and that's the extent of our hounding you.  Sorry if you enjoy a good hounding!

If you want to see what you'd be getting into, you can check out all our past webinars - for free - on our website here:Webinars - Community IT Innovators

Hope you can make it tomorrow!  Carolyn

Carolyn Woodard
Independent Consultant
Community IT Innovators
Washington, DC

10.  RE: What events are you putting on or attending during February?

Posted 10 days ago

Hi Bethany,

We've noticed that a lot of organizations are using popular social media, and in particular Facebook and Twitter, to promote their work and build their communities. Some nonprofits are also looking to use social media tools as a way of improving internal communications within their organizations as well. Facebook has begun to address this need by creating Workplace by Facebook. Good news: it's free for Non-Profits and educational institutions (staff).

On Thursday, February 23rd from 11AM to 12PM ET, NetHope, NPOKI, and InsideNGO are co-sponsoring a free webinar with panelists from both Facebook and CARE International, one of their clients. You can find out more information and register here: https://goo.gl/I3CiHP

Hope this information helps.

Bill Lester

William (Bill) Lester

Executive Director - NPOKI

wlester@npoki.org | +1-917-720-2240 | www.npoki.org

Better Performance Better NonProfits

11.  RE: What events are you putting on or attending during February?

Posted 9 days ago
Hello Everyone!

My name is Allen Chu and I am the organizer for NetSquared White Plains and we are hosting an event on February 27th on the topic of Virtualization and Why Non Profits Should Care.

I encourage everyone in the NYC area to attend this event to meet with your nonprofit peers, others in the tech field and share some refreshments & learn more about this hot topic!

Here is the link to register:  NetSquared White Plains

Meetup remove preview
NetSquared White Plains
NetSquared gathers together nonprofits and activists, tech leaders and funders, and everyone who's interested in using technology for social change. NONPROFIT STAFF will find a friendly, welcoming atm
View this on Meetup >

Thanks!

allen chu
Owner & Director of Business Development
TeamLogic IT of White Plains
White Plains, NY