Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 6 days ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Outgrown MS Access - seeking alternatives

• 1.  Outgrown MS Access - seeking alternatives

Posted 10 days ago
    Are any of you(r organizations) using an event management software for conference planning? For clarification - I'm not referring to speakers and content, I mean the backstage stuff (rooms, BEOs, AV, F&B, vendors pieces).

Our team worked for years with an MS Access database but wanted something cloud-based where multiple users can be working in the system rather than a relay-style hand-off of the data file. So, we switched to something like that but it wasn't really a great fit. Now this product we've used for the most recent meeting announced end-of-life in the next 18 months.

We're considering moving the MS Access database into Zoho. Has anyone here done that with an Access database?

The team is also looking at products like eSHOW and Attendee Interactive, but in a lot of ways it feels like overkill and they'd be happy with a cloud-based Access if such a thing existed.

Note: I'm cross-posting this in the Data, IT Decision Makers and the General Community forums.

Thanks, All!

------------------------------
    Jessica Daniels
    American Epilepsy Society
    Chicago, IL

• 2.  RE: Outgrown MS Access - seeking alternatives

Posted 7 days ago
    Hi Jessica,

You mention that you are considering moving your application to Zoho from MS Access, therefore this is a response to that aspect of your post.

Zoho has a few tools/scripts to help move MS Access data files into Zoho CRM. This move will allow you to create users with roles and visibilities tailored as per their role into your data. However, a large portion of your work will still remain very manual.

Moving to a tool (provided you select the right kind of tool), will allow you to achieve efficiencies because a lot of workflows involved in this type of event management will be already implemented/captured and therefore much of your work has a potential to be automated.

Overall, you get what you pay for, and along with sophistication, comes a learning curve.

Hope this helps.

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

• 3.  RE: Outgrown MS Access - seeking alternatives

Posted 4 days ago
    Thanks & I'll share your comments with my colleagues.  I'm moving to another organization, so I'm sure they'll be looking back at comments on this thread.
    Regards -

Jessica Daniels
    American Epilepsy Society
    Chicago, IL