Discuss

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

• 1.  CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 11, 2019 19:08
    I'm looking for recommendations for donor/grant CRMs that excel in the areas of grants management and donor engagement/prospecting. With the numerous CRM options out there, and a budget that can fit many of their basic versions, it has been a challenge to narrow down the best options. We need the standard features - managing donor info and gifts and mail-merging letters, for instance - but the most desired features are to track grants prospects and awards and capture the 'moves' of donor engagement.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be much appreciated!

------------------------------
    Michele Tondreau
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 11, 2019 19:12

Hi Michele -

I'd recommend Salesforce's Nonprofit pack. They have a Grants module that can be super effective when used correctly. From a donor prospecting - there's tons of things Salesforce can do to help that process as well. Eligible 501c3s can get 10 donated licenses as well.

Happy Friday!

Best,
    Kevin

Kevin LaManna
    Principal | Monday Loves You
    Chicago, IL

www.mondaylovesyou.com

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 11, 2019 19:47
    Thanks, Kevin! I hadn't considered their Nonprofit Success Pack, mostly because it looks like it isn't ready "right out of the box" and requires a bit of user set up and technical skill, but I may be wrong! I'll look into it.

Best,
    Michele

Michele Tondreau

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 11, 2019 19:50
    Hi Michele - if you'd like, please feel free to reach out to my colleague, Cassie Dennis. She's really great and could share any pros/ cons about Salesforce. It's definitey not for everyone, but she could perhaps provide some clarity and help provide some guidance during your assessment. She can be reached at cassie@mondaylovesyou.com if you'd like!

Have a super fab weekend!

Kevin

Kevin LaManna
    Principal | Monday Loves You
    Chicago, IL

www.mondaylovesyou.com

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 14, 2019 18:11
    Thanks, Kevin. I may take you up on that. Happy Monday :)

Best,
    Michele

Michele Tondreau

Tech Accelerate

• 6.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 14, 2019 09:58
    Plus one for SalesForce non-profit success pack. There is a learning curve associated with living with Salesforce, but you're first 10 licenses are free so you can spend your money on developing those expertise instead of on software.  If your organization has even a little bit of DIY spirit, this is definitely an option worth considering. :-)

Rob Foley
    IT Director - The Scholarship Foundation of St. Louis

Tech Accelerate

• 7.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 14, 2019 18:16
    Thanks for your input, Rob. We definitely have a DIY spirit and get pretty excited about new tools. :)

Michele Tondreau

Tech Accelerate

• 8.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 28, 2019 13:56
    Honestly, this is accurate. There would be some learning involved, but truthfully if your org is willing to send you to Salesforce Administrator training, I believe you would be set up for success and would be able to set it up yourself. They only charge $2,500 for nonprofits for the week course (in person), but we certainly have gotten our monies worth. I now recommend this as someone with a background in both Tech and Development. It can feel really daunting because of how much Salesforce can do. But if you know what you are doing and understand how Salesforce is setup, it can be really beneficial. Also, I wish our organization had gone to this training before they set up our Salesforce CRM. The data would be so much cleaner than it is now.

Rebecca Korduner

Tech Accelerate

• 9.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 13, 2019 13:54
    Michele, there really are quite a lot of options. Can you tell us more about your organization? Your overall size, the software you're already using and your budget will have a lot of impact on what we might recommend.

I help nonprofits pick CRMs and similar software for a living. If you'd like to speak offline, I'd be happy to have a no-obligations chat with you. You can schedule with me at https://calendly.com/sage70/30min

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

Tech Accelerate

• 10.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 14, 2019 18:27
    Thanks for reaching out, Isaac. My organization operates under a $1 million budget and currently uses a well-known CRM. I'm looking into options like Bloomerang, eTapestry, Fundy, NEON, Salsa, and now Salesforce Nonprofit pack. Do you recommend any of these over one another, specifically when it comes to using tools to keep donors engaged (ie tracking our contact with them/their contact with us), and managing grant rewards/asks?

Thanks,
    Michele

Michele Tondreau

Tech Accelerate

• 11.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 31, 2019 21:17
    Michele, sorry for my late reply.

First off, at under $1 million I would counsel you to avoid Salesforce. In 10 years I haven't seen any nonprofit at that size succeed with Salesforce. As I covered in a presentation at NTC last year, Salesforce themselves articulate that successful implementation calls for
    1. Focus on the project, clarity about the desired build, and urgency to complete the build
    2. Strong executive sponsorship
    3. Internal SF aptitude (including a certified SF admin on staff)
    4. Commitment to continued learning
    5. Sufficient implementation resources (read: money)
    6. Integrity of existing data and a plan for data migration
    I think this is a great list to assess your readiness - and it's a list that doesn't seem aimed at $1million orgs.

The products you mentioned or all good options, and I can only recommend one over the other in the context of a deeper assessment. Of these, eTapestry is probably the most robust as a fundraising tool specifically, but also least user-friendly and not a good digital fundraising platform. Salsa is not something I'd recommend at your size, or for grant management more generally. NEON is a strong all-arounder that can offer you functionality in many other categories as well. I haven't done a Fundly implementation since their merger, but I'm intrigued by their capabilities. Bloomerang is a great choice for a 1-2 person development shop, though grant management is treated as simply another opportunity, and wont' support robust proposal management.

Isaac Shalev
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

Tech Accelerate

• 12.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Feb 08, 2019 16:54
    Edited by Michele Tondreau Feb 08, 2019 16:54
    Isaac, thanks you very much for your input re Salesforce and the other platforms. Very helpful in helping us make a decision.

Have a great weekend.

Best,
    Michele

Michele Tondreau
    Operations Manager
    San Diego Children's Choir

Tech Accelerate

• 13.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Apr 15, 2019 16:08

I've worked in three organizations now, one quite large with a very small development office, and two others with budgets less than 250K, and in all three I've used Salesforce quite successfully. A few years ago we did hire a consultant to help us with set up and implementation, but that was prior to the release of NPSP. At my current organization, I did all of the roll out myself. I'm adept but I'm no guru. The NPSP makes it possible for organizations of any size to use it effectively.

While there are so many options available, and Salesforce isn't for every organization, writing it off because of the organization size isn't necessary. And any CRM will be a waste of time and money if there isn't user buy-in, which can be a problem regardless of the chosen CRM.

Salesforce has several things to recommend it, being free to nonprofits is obviously an important one, but its pervasive use in so many places also makes it easy to find help when you need. The other CRMs will have more limited support, mostly because you have to go through JUST that company to get help. 

Angie Albright
    Director
    Clinton House Museum
    Fayetteville, AR

Tech Accelerate

• 14.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 14, 2019 10:20
    Hi Michelle,
    We have an ebook called 7 Indicators of Salesforce Success that might help you determine if Salesforce is a good fit. You can find it on our Resources page: https://501partners.com/resources/. There's also a short webinar of development basics that come with the NPSP. (The webinar hasn't been updated to be in Salesforce Lightning view, but it will still give you a sense of what comes with the NPSP). While it does take some understanding and training, the NPSP offers a lot of good functionality "out-of-the-box" or with minimal customizations (i.e. not actual coding), especially on the development/fundraising side.

Lindsey Peterson
    501Partners
    Boston, MA

Tech Accelerate

• 15.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 14, 2019 18:30
    Thanks for the resources and info, Lindsey!

Michele Tondreau

Tech Accelerate

• 16.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 14, 2019 11:32
    Edited by Medha Nanal Jan 14, 2019 11:44
    Hi Michele,

Many great ideas already shared here. I want to address your mention of prospecting. Without knowing further details such as your organization's budget, prospecting generally involves combing through a lot of donor's past and current data to identify patterns and understand which of the prospects are more likely to donate to your organization. Is this what you desire as one of the main features? Moves management is typically the next step, and is used to cultivate/grow a donor (often someone who has already donated once) -- to donate larger amounts, to hopefully get them to donate significantly to your organization.  In terms of CRM features, both prospecting and moves management are different feature sets.

Coming back, there are systems that have very good moves management built in -- Salsa, Blackbaud, Salesforce for example. In fact, most mature nonprofit oriented donor information systems do have moves management built in already.

Prospecting is still largely a function of a skilled human - we look at the data from various sources and identify the best prospects to cultivate, etc. It helps to have a CRM that can present various facets of a donor's data, however, there's no CRM system that fully automates this process. (EDIT: There are various visualization tools, etc that make the task easier - but ultimately a  human is involved. Regarding automation, AI is available in Salesforce, but it is quite an expensive option, and few within nonprofit world have utilized it.).

Ultimately, which is truly a fit for your organization, depends on various other factors like budget, readiness, organization's own strategy and various fundraising processes etc.

Hope this answers your question.

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

Tech Accelerate

• 17.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 14, 2019 18:36
    Thanks so much for your thoughtful and informative response, Medha. Your answer does help! For the main features, we really do desire something like moves management to engage/grow a donor. I appreciate your input about which CRMs do that well. (Thanks for describing the difference between moves mgmt and prospecting.)

Best,
    Michele

Michele Tondreau

Tech Accelerate

• 18.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 28, 2019 11:41
    For those who recommend or use Salesforce, what were your experience with the implementation and its costs?

It seems that Saleforce does suggest that there is a process involved in which we'll have to work with a Saleforce partner to build out and customize our solution.  How necessary is this? Is it feasible to set it up on your own?

Laurel Milliken

Tech Accelerate

• 19.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 28, 2019 12:20
    Hi Laurel,

I work with non profits to help them assess their operations and implement solutions. To clarify, my post is not a recommendation for Salesforce per se (because I believe that I could not recommend a CRM without having a clearer idea about your mission, operations and needs) -- however, since I have helped non profits with Salesforce implementations, I can offer a cent or two:

Regarding costs, costs vary, depending on which source system you are trying to transition from. Often, the cost is not only related to the number of records in source database, but also depends on how many different aspects of data (e.g. basic donor information/affiliations/relationships etc.) are being migrated, because that aspect adds to overall complexity. Many times, during migration to CRM, it becomes clear that existing silos of data need to be broken down, and therefore, data migration is not always between existing donor system to new CRM. For example, related data such as event data, data regarding programs etc. can also be migrated in addition to donor data. All these impact implementation/migration costs.

Regarding Salesforce's suggestion of working with a consultant: this comes from the fact that Salesforce itself provides no implementation services and therefore the organization can either take up the migration+implementation by themselves (if they have a sufficiently knowledgeable staff member), or work with a consultant. While organizations have done the former, I should warn that this is not something that one would do without relevant experience and knowledge.

If you wish to discuss specifics of your project, then please feel free to contact me using my information (at no cost, and no obligation) -- for initial conversation.

Take care,

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com

Tech Accelerate

• 20.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 29, 2019 08:46
    Hi -

Depending on your existing data and processes, there can be a lot to consider when setting up your Salesforce instance and migrating data so it can be money well spent to hire a consultant. This list is by no means complete but some issues to consider:

Would Salesforce be your CRM for staff, constituents/clients and donors? Which account / contact model would be best considering these different types of contacts?
    Is NPSP appropriate for the way your organization operates?
    How clean is your existing data?

Even if you get consultants, you will want to learn as much as possible - along with classes, I've found that Saleforce's learning site Trailhead to be very helpful.

When thinking about Salesforce pricing, also consider if you'll need to purchase additional storage from Salesforce (pricey) and if you're interested in any of their add-on features that have additional costs.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Munsey
    Director, Enterprise Applications
    Hillel International
    Washington, DC

Tech Accelerate

• 21.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Jan 28, 2019 13:25
    Hi Laurel,
    You can get started on Salesforce with the NPSP (Nonprofit Success Pack) with 10 licenses and there really is NO fee associated with it from Salesforce. Your costs will be the investment of time to get up to speed on the system.  It is a lot to learn, but the payoff is well worth the investment. I would strongly recommend partnering with someone with experience on the platform. It's can pretty much do whatever you need it to do, but in the words of the late great Stan Lee, "with great power comes great responsibility".  I found it helpful on our first project to have someone who could help us determine the best way to achieve our goals. That help won't be free of course, but then your investment is in learning and developing in-house expertise with a tool that you will be using for many years to come. Personally I like that model a LOT better than plunking down a chunk of cash for "maintenance" every year and not really getting much for it.

Rob Foley
    IT Director - The Scholarship Foundation of St. Louis

Tech Accelerate

• 22.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Feb 08, 2019 17:30
    Hi,

I work for Arreva and we have a program called Exceed Beyond that includes Donor Management and a specific module for grant tracking Grant Management  that is fully integrated. It my be quite affordable because  pricing is based on your database size.  It can be used for incoming or outgoing grants. If you have questions feel free to reach out to me- ann@arreva.com.
    Ann

Ann Troussieux
    VP of National Sales
    Arreva
    Palo Alto, CA

Tech Accelerate

• 23.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Feb 10, 2019 02:04
    Apologies for joining the discussion late...

I work with many of the applications you mentioned Michele, and I surely don't recommend Salesforce for everyone...but for the requirements you mentioned, I would agree that Salesforce NPSP is a good fit.  I've seen it work successfully for many of my clients under a $1 million annual budget.  Key things are to have realistic expectations, a willingness to learn how to administer Salesforce, and most importantly...not to be enticed by the 10 donated licenses :)  It's a generous offer, but the cost savings should by no means be the deciding factor to go with Salesforce.  A few add-ons from the appexchange (like for donor prospecting) and some consulting guidance will put it right there around the same costs as other paid apps.  I share more of my thoughts on this in a blog post -> Feature Spotlight: Grant Management in Salesforce's Nonprofit Success Pack and I also recently led a webinar on this exact topic, which includes some tips on how Grants Management in Salesforce worked for my clients.  It is available on demand -> [Webinar Recording] Grant Management In Salesforce.

Happy to discuss further if you'd like!
    Thanks,
    Rubin

Rubin Singh
    Founder & CEO, OneTenth Consulting
    www.onetenth.consulting
    rubin.singh@onetenth.consulting

Tech Accelerate

• 24.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Feb 11, 2019 08:53
    I just wanted to weigh in here, assuming that you haven't already chosen your new CRM. I thought the comments about just how complicated data migration INTO your new system can get were very important -- except they came as if they referred to Salesforce alone. Any data migration is complicated by those factors.

I'm also intrigued by Isaac's comment that if you bring in less than $1M a year, you should avoid Salesforce. I can think of several reasons why someone would say they've never seen Salesforce succeed in a small nonprofit-- maybe he doesn't work with small nonprofits? Small nonprofits are my clients base-- and I work with them all over the world. I've seen many succeed-- as long as their reach didn't exceed their grasp. Salesforce is tantalizingly flexible. It has more bells and whistles than you'll ever need and it takes a strong mind to resist the urge to have and do what the more well-heeled orgs can do. The list that Isaac produced does indeed come from Salesforce, which has, some of us think regrettably, moved into the more upscale market of nonprofits because...no surprise...there is more to sell there. It is a business, after all.

You do need executive buy-in and support. If your ED thinks you can manage a database, do all the marketing, run events and the volunteers, answer the phone and sign in all the visiter, and no, there's no time to learn to use the thing...then your implementation of Salesforce will be less than fully successful. But if you are committed and ready to learn, Salesforce CAN be self-taught. I taught myself to use it when I was 65 and working for an immigrant advocacy organization. And you can, too (and without waiting until you get to retirement age to do i!) Those ten free licenses and the free online training program can be all you need. There's also so much free help in the Salesforce community. There is your local User Group. The online forums for nonprofit are populated by people who want to help other Salesforce users who taught themselves how to use the Nonprofit Success Pack and want to share what they know. There is an office hours where you can ask your questions out loud, no question too small.

I do supplement my social security helping nonprofits get up to speed with their Salesforce and I'm grateful my clients want my help. Much of what I do is to teach them how to teach themselves. Nasty, tricky data migrations, though...yeah. No matter where you go, I'd get some help with that.

Trish Perkins, Certified Salesforce Administrator, Salesforce MVP
    Worldstouch
    High Point, NC
    worldstouch@gmail.com

Tech Accelerate

• 25.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Feb 11, 2019 12:51
    Hey Trish, I really liked your overview. There's no doubt that SF can work for a small org when the right person is there to figure it out and manage it. Even so, I caution nonprofits about this choice. What happens if that person wins the lottery? What if that person wants to move up within the organization? It can be challenging to hire for these skills within a small nonprofit wage scale. It's also really hard for solo admins to be great about documenting processes and building organizational knowledge and memory. Those are larger risks, at a different level of focus, that I think should be part of an organization's assessment of whether to use SF or no.

Isaac Shalev
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

Tech Accelerate

• 26.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Feb 11, 2019 16:14
    Hi Michele,

Here is a comparison chart that might help you with your decision: A Guide to the Top CRM and Donor Management Systems. The key considerations included in this chart are features, cost, cloud vs. on-prem, and integration. I hope this is helpful!

Techsoup remove preview
    A Guide to the Top CRM and Donor Management Systems
    When looking at a CRM or donor management system for your organization, there are a few things to bear in mind. First of all, your choice will depend on the functionality you need.
    View this on Techsoup >

Sima Thakkar

Tech Accelerate

• 27.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Feb 12, 2019 08:55
    Trish beat me to the punch; we work only with nonprofits and our clients reflect the sector; the great majority of nonprofits are under $1M and we have set up innumerable groups on Salesforce to great success. It is simply false to suggest that it is not an excellent solution for small groups. The free Nonprofit Success Pack, out of the box, can replace any fundraising system from Raiser's Edge to ,.. you name, all on top of a full-featured CRM. Salesforce's breadth of capability includes an easy way to configure it -- which is exactly how it is made as simple as simple can be for smaller, less technically savvy groups. Features that are not needed are simply hidden from view (still available). Having your internal Salesforce expert leave is also not a problem because the Salesforce ecosystem is gigantic. It is easy to get trained, and there are tons of people out there who already have experience and training. From grants management (give and get), fundraising, volunteer management, event management, marketing and communications and program management - Salesforce can be the last system you ever implement.

There is nothing I like more than talking to nonprofits about Salesforce. And with 10 free licenses, there is simply no other solution on the market that provides a comparable value. Anyone who wants a free overview and rough estimate to implement, please connect with me!

Lisa

Lisa Rau
    Founder and Chairman
    Fionta
    Washington, DC

Tech Accelerate

• 28.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Feb 12, 2019 09:05
    Lisa, would you please identify yourself as a vendor of a Salesforce-bases association management system in these contexts?  I hope we'll all adopt a stance of full disclosure when it comes to commenting on issues in which we have some business stake. (As for me, I'm an independent CRM expert, and I've never taken any inducement or money from any company. My advice is always and only given with my client's best interests in mind.)

Isaac Shalev
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

Tech Accelerate

• 29.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Feb 12, 2019 09:27
    Fionta has never taken any inducement or money from any company including Salesforce. We have three service areas (1) providing independent technology consulting to nonprofits, (2) implementing Salesforce for nonprofits (Salesforce does not resell to nonprofits, so we are not a "vendor", just an implementation partner and again, receive no inducement or money from them) and (3) web design and development for nonprofits. We used to implement scores of other CRMs, AMSs, and fundraising systems in our 18 years of business working with 1,000-some nonprofits - but after the NPSP came out, we did decide to specialize on Salesforce because, for so many of our clients, it was the best choice. Salesforce is not right for everyone by all means. No question. And I have advised many nonprofits in different directions over the years of doing this work. But the fact remains that it is an excellent option for smaller groups -- something we know from experience. I offer my opinion here because Fionta's business is to help nonprofits with their technology and they are not being helped with blanket statements that Salesforce isn't a good solution for under $1M nonprofits. Just ask the thousands of groups who are using it successfully and for free.

Lisa Rau
    Founder and Chairman
    Fionta
    Washington, DC

Tech Accelerate

• 30.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Apr 15, 2019 12:04
    Edited by Laurel Milliken Apr 15, 2019 13:34
    Hi everyone,

For those who use Salesforce, are mass-mailing campaigns and email tracking/logging included in the Non-profit Starter Pack?  Or are those modules that you have to purchase separately?

Are there any add-on modules that you find essential to your organization?

Laurel Milliken

Tech Accelerate

• 31.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Apr 15, 2019 12:34
    Hi Laurel,

What do you mean by "email tracking"? Do you wish to track your email conversations related to donations etc., within Salesforce?

Salesforce NPSP has a basic ability to mass-email campaigns, however, you can further enhance it by adding on third party products, or integrating Salesforce with external marketing automation products. Both cost additional dollars.

Regarding email tracking, (if my interpretation is correct, then) -- there is a rather awkward feature in Salesforce that allows to add your email messages within Salesforce. There are additional-cost, add on products that integrate email systems with Salesforce, for $$, but much more elegantly.

Regarding add-on modules "essential" to the organization: I have worked with organizations that have been happy with just NPSP without any mass-mailing add ons, as well as simpler communication features, like Apsona, as well as integration with another mass-mailing system. On the very high end, there's Pardot/Salesforce Marketing Cloud. Depending on your needs and budget, your definition of "essential" will vary.

Hope this helps.

Medha Nanal
    www.topcloudconsult.com

Tech Accelerate

• 32.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Apr 15, 2019 13:38
    Hi @Medha Nanal, by email tracking, I'm referring to the ability to log and record email messages in the customer's record.  It's usually done with the Salesforce Gmail extension. ​ Does any one know if the use and logging with the extension free or if it's an add-on?

Laurel Milliken

Tech Accelerate

• 33.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Apr 15, 2019 14:08
    Edited by Medha Nanal Apr 15, 2019 14:09
    Hi Laurel,

Thank you for clarification. It's an add-on to Salesforce NPSP.

Medha Nanal
    www.topcloudconsult.com

Tech Accelerate

• 34.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Apr 15, 2019 14:42
    Thanks Medha.  In case others are curious, the best free mail logging solution I've seen is with HubSpot.  But they don't do mass mailing campaigns on the free tier...

Laurel Milliken

Tech Accelerate

• 35.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Apr 17, 2019 11:19
    Edited by Jason Samuels Apr 17, 2019 11:21
      |   view attached
    Hi Laurel, we're on NPSP and here's how we handle that:

For direct mail appeals we stage all Contacts who'll receive the mailing as Campaign members. The mechanism used to get them there is Apsona multi-step reporting, since that allows me to write queries based on several different tables in the system, easily put them together into a deduplicated list, then select the option to add all Contacts to the Campaign. The mailing list is then exported from the Campaign, and narrowed down to households to avoid sending two mailings to one address. Donations that come in from the mailing are then associated with that same Campaign, which leverages the out-of-the-box data structure for tracking a number of different metrics such as number of contacts in the campaign vs. number who responded, total cost and expected revenue vs. actual revenue, etc.

For email marketing, we use Pardot which is owned by Salesforce and integrated with our CRM. One way to leverage that integration is by setting up dynamic lists in Pardot that generate a real time email list of contacts in a specific Campaign who haven't yet responded to the appeal. Another benefit is the out-of-the-box Engagement History widget that can be dropped into a Contact's page layout, displaying that specific contact's engagement with our email campaigns and website. Pardot is not a cheap platform, but compared to Constant Contact we're getting a lot more for our money and starting to leverage the capabilities to engage with our constituents in a more sophisticated way.

Jason Samuels
    IT Operations Manager
    American Craft Council
    Minneapolis, MN

Tech Accelerate

• 36.  RE: CRM recommendations for grants management and donor prospecting

Posted Apr 17, 2019 14:10
    Laurel -

For your specific question on the Salesforce Gmail extension- the extension itself is free and does things like log emails to contact records, allow you to view SF data from Gmail, & send using a Lightning email template stored in Salesforce. It does not allow you to track whether someone opened an email you sent with it logged to their record, use calendar scheduling, and some other features unless that Salesforce user also has an Inbox license for Salesforce. Salesforce Inbox costs about $13 per user, per month.

+1 on Jason's comments on Pardot- great product, yes there's a cost and a learning curve but we've found it well worth the money. It does a lot in terms of tracking where people are interacting with you and first touch.

Dar Veverka
    Director of Information Technology
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD

Tech Accelerate