WordPress

last person joined: 3 days ago 

A place for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels.
The WordPress group is an engaged network of WordPress developers and content managers, for all skill levels, by WordPress users for WordPress users, to encourage the usage of and advocate for WordPress.

Our goal: to support nonprofit organizations using (or interested in using) WordPress. Additionally, this is a safe and friendly place for beginning WordPress developers and users to ask questions and connect to like-minded people.

Short link: http://community.nten.org/wordpress

1.  Event ticketing plugin?

Posted Sep 29, 2016 17:03

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good event ticketing plugin? We were using GravityForms previously but something very bizarre happened a few months ago and we're looking for an alternative.

------------------------------
Suzanne Ito
Communications Officer
International Women's Health Coalition
New York, NY

2.  RE: Event ticketing plugin?

Posted Sep 29, 2016 17:54
As I use Gravity Forms a LOT, I'd be interested in the bizarre thing that has you looking for an alternative. As well as the alternatives that are available of course. 

3.  RE: Event ticketing plugin?

Posted Sep 29, 2016 23:03
I'd like to hear about the bizarre thing too.  I've used a number of form builders in WP over the years and Gravity Forms is one that usually doesn't give much trouble.  (I used to love Visual Form Builder, but on some sites the notification and confirmation emails are a crapshoot.)

I'm a big fan of Eventbrite for ticketing.  It has WP integration via plugins available:  https://www.eventbrite.com/blog/wordpress-and-eventbrite-better-together-ds0c/.

Cindy

Cindy Leonard, Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management at Robert Morris University, 
339 Sixth Ave, Ste 750, Pgh, PA 15222
p 412-397-6007 | f 412-397-6016 | leonard@rmu.edu | www.bcnm-rmu.org

It's time for TechNow! Register today to receive Early Bird rates! www.technowconference.org

4.  RE: Event ticketing plugin?

Posted Sep 29, 2016 23:05
+1 for EventBrite. Works really well for small or large events!

Amar

5.  RE: Event ticketing plugin?

Posted Sep 30, 2016 04:05

EventBrite is a superb, feature-rich events management system. But it has high fees and is a third-party product that, while plugins exist, doesn't really integrate well with WordPress - you're still mostly using a third-party system.

We've used the Events Manager (and Events Manager Pro) plugin for this kind of work. It's a little clunky and needs some styling and templating to make it work nicely, but is one of those tools that just gives you so much functionality out of the box.  Might be worth a look.

Ross Wintle

6.  RE: Event ticketing plugin?

Posted Sep 30, 2016 12:09
Edited by Mark Root-Wiley Sep 30, 2016 12:16

Count me in as interested in what happened with Gravity Forms!

I'm a big proponent of hosted 3rd-party solutions and have had good experiences with Eventbrite as many people have suggested.

One alternative I'd throw out is the newly-updated event ticketing plugins for The Events Calendar. That's been my event calendar plugin of choice for years and their new event ticketing plugins seem pretty great (I've just started using them on two sites). The free Event Tickets supports a free RSVP system for any type of content (not just Events!) and Event Tickets Plus supports paid ticketing. One thing I like about Event Tickets Plus is that it doesn't come with its own payment gateways but instead requires you use one of WooCommerce, Easy Digital Downloads, WP eCommerce, or Shopp. (I'd recommend using one of the first two.)

Like I said, I haven't used either a ton yet, but my experiences with both have been good so far and I love the base calendar plugin they offer. 

(Bonus note: They offer a free license for the PRO version of their plugin to some 501(c)(3)s.)

----------------------------

Oops: One more thing! The Events Calendar also offers an Eventbrite integration plugin. It's awfully nice, as it lets you sync events between the two, so you only have to create the event in WordPress. It also makes it easy to embed the Eventbrite ticketing widget before visitors complete their purchase on the Eventbrite site.

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
Seattle, WA

7.  RE: Event ticketing plugin?

Posted Oct 03, 2016 06:05

I've worked with a few clients who are using CiviCRM to manage event registration. Civi's a full CRM solution with an Events module, so it might be overkill or more than you want to take on, but if you're outgrowing Eventbrite, it might also be a good time to look at how you're managing your donors, too. CiviCRM is available as a Wordpress plugin.

CiviCRM can handle

• Simple, free events
  • Events with a fee, accepting payment via Authorize.net, iATS, or PayPal (both Pro and Standard) or "I'll send you a check"
  • Easy early bird pricing and discount codes
  • Complex registration with capacity management (pre-conference workshop is extra, chicken dinner at the gala, this workshop is in a room with only 25 seats)

On the downside

• There's a bit more setup overhead and steeper learning curve than some purely event-focused tools
  • More sophisticated registration logic (You can't choose X unless they choose Y, or if you choose A, then offer B, C and D) requires some coding using jQuery
  • Mobile support is nascent

I've got a presentation I did with a client that ran a 1,000-person event with CiviCRM. I can send you the presentation, if you're interested.

Dan O'Brien
Director of Product Development & Solutions Architect
Ginkgo Street Labs
Washington, DC

8.  RE: Event ticketing plugin?

Posted Nov 17, 2016 10:40

Hi everyone, sorry for the delayed response. Have been having an insane fall!

I had set up an event ticketing form with Gravity Forms connected to Authorize, and for a few transactions, the credit card didn't get charged. Upon further investigation, it turns out it was an Authorize problem, not a GF problem. It was just bizarre to me because we'd never had that problem before. We're now looking into replacing Authorize with Stripe, which will be a longer-term project, unfortunately.

EventBrite isn't really an option for us because the transaction fees are pretty high, even with the nonprofit discount.

Our WP consultant said that Events Calendar Pro might be overkill for us since we only do 2-3 ticketed events a year...will keep digging around. Thanks everyone for suggestions!

Suzanne

Suzanne Ito
Communications Officer
International Women's Health Coalition
New York, NY

9.  RE: Event ticketing plugin?

Posted Nov 18, 2016 13:02

Just wanted to quickly clarify that Event Tickets Plus is the plugin required to add paid ticketing to the The Events Calendar plugin. Events Calendar PRO is a different plugin (though same price) that adds features to The Events Calendar, but that does not include paid ticketing. When using Event Tickets Plus, you can use it with WooCommerce in order to use Stripe if that's a route you choose to go.

I just wanted to be sure to clarify so you purchased the right plugin if you choose to go that route. Best of luck no matter what!

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
Seattle, WA