Discuss

last person joined: 6 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources.
Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

New to the group? Introduce yourself!
Reminder: Job posts are not allowed. Please visit the Nonprofit Tech Job Board to post a job or search for career opportunities.
Short link: http://community.nten.org/ntendiscuss

1.  Alternatives to Western Union?

Posted Feb 16, 2017 09:25
Hi!
The civil legal services organization I work for serves immigrant populations and migrant workers. When we settle a case for a client or group of clients who live across the US border, we use Western Union to send these payments securely and often to very rural areas in Mexico and throughout countries in South America. It's been a huge pain dealing with Western Union in many ways. I've started looking at alternative secure money transfer companies and really have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for. I can get some advice from our CPA firm, but figured I'd float it out to you smarties and see if anyone has any advice or experience with this kind of thing. This one looked worth investigating -  https://www.sharemoney.com/mexico/ - but I'm obviously concerned about company credibility when transferring client court case settlement awards internationally. Simply googling and picking something seems risky.

Thanks in advance for your good ideas or referrals to people who may have them.
-Lea

------------------------------
Lea Remigio
Director of Operations
Florida Legal Services
Orlando, FL

2.  RE: Alternatives to Western Union?

Posted Feb 17, 2017 14:12
Hi Lea,

I'm afraid I can't comment from an organizational standpoint, but I can suggest two options just from personal experience.  I've used both AFEX and Xoom, and both had better rates and were easier to use.

Best of luck finding some better tools!
Leana

Leana Mayzlina
Senior Digital Inclusion Manager
Nonprofit Technology Network
Portland, OR