Discuss

last person joined: 4 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources.
Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

New to the group? Introduce yourself!
Reminder: Job posts are not allowed. Please visit the Nonprofit Tech Job Board to post a job or search for career opportunities.
Short link: http://community.nten.org/ntendiscuss

1.  Please share your examples of nonprofit appeal letters (fundraising direct mail)

Posted Jan 25, 2017 10:14

Please consider helping a humble researcher out! I need examples of nonprofit appeal letters (fundraising direct mail). Would you be willing to email me copies of any and all appeal letters created by your nonprofit?

If you are interested in sharing your letters with me, please email them to estherjames@gmail.com, or let me know how I can reach you.

Why I need them: I'm doing a master's thesis in Community Development at South Dakota State University. In order to study the differences between appeal letters created by larger development shops and appeal letters created by smaller development shops, I need to collect a body of appeal letters to analyze. I promise to not share or use the letters beyond the scope of the research project. Let me know if you have any questions or thoughts on this! 

Here's some interesting information I've uncovered so far in my research -- "How Social Scientists Can Help You Write Better Fundraising Letters" -- How social scientists can help you write better fundraising letters: Top 10 tips from peer-reviewed academic research 

------------------------------
Esther James

2.  RE: Please share your examples of nonprofit appeal letters (fundraising direct mail)

Posted Jan 25, 2017 11:10
Hi Esther,

Have you checked out the collection on the Donor Relations Guru site?
http://www.donorrelationsguru.com/solicitation-swap

R
obert

Robert L. Weiner Consulting
San Francisco, CA
415/643-8955
robert@rlweiner.com
www.rlweiner.com
Twitter: @robert_weiner

Strategic Technology Advisors to Nonprofit and Educational Institutions

3.  RE: Please share your examples of nonprofit appeal letters (fundraising direct mail)

Posted Jan 26, 2017 09:52
Hi Robert -- Many thanks for pointing me to the Donor Relations Guru site!. I didn't know about this resource and it's helpful for what I need! But I'd also be very grateful for any letters from nonprofits with annual revenue of less than $5 million that those nonprofits would care to email me directly. The more letters I have to analyze, the better the results will be. Thanks again for your tip! 

Esther James
estherjames@gmail.com

4.  RE: Please share your examples of nonprofit appeal letters (fundraising direct mail)

Posted Jan 25, 2017 12:53
Hi Esther,

Have you checked out the Showcase of Fundraising Innovation and Inspiration? I used this a lot when I had a fundraising internship a few years ago.

5.  RE: Please share your examples of nonprofit appeal letters (fundraising direct mail)

Posted Jan 26, 2017 09:53
Yes, I love SOFII too! Such a great resource, particularly for examples from fundraising around the world. 

Esther James
estherjames@gmail.com

6.  RE: Please share your examples of nonprofit appeal letters (fundraising direct mail)

Posted Jan 27, 2017 12:49
There is also a huge archive at Who's Mailing What This is a paid resource but for just the fundraising content, I recall that it was not expensive. 

- Beth

Beth Brodovsky
President
Iris Creative
Fort Washington, PA