Discuss

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources.
Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

New to the group? Introduce yourself!
Reminder: Job posts are not allowed. Please visit the Nonprofit Tech Job Board to post a job or search for career opportunities.
Short link: http://community.nten.org/ntendiscuss

1.  Email marketing/automation: Pardot, Campaign Monitor

Posted Feb 08, 2017 17:39
We're looking for a Salesforce-compatible email marketing & automation app. We've narrowed it down to Pardot or Campaign Monitor.

Is anyone use Pardot or Campaign Monitor? If so, what's been your experience? Feel free to reply directly if you don't want to post.

Thanks!

------------------------------
Judy Freed
Marketing Strategist, Alliance for the Great Lakes
Co-Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data Community
Chicago, Illinois

2.  RE: Email marketing/automation: Pardot, Campaign Monitor

Posted Feb 08, 2017 18:59
Judy,

I would share that Pardot can be challenging, even with the recent upgrades. We are working through some challenges with a publishing client who was ready to throw in the towel. I would suggest taking a look at Hubspot or Real Magnet if you havent already. Both easily integrate into SalesForce sharing data across platform reporting dashboards and contact files. 

Happy to answer any questions you have about either platform.

Cheers,
Kevin

Kevin Novak, MBA MSTM
CEO, Founder and Chief Digital Strategist at 2040 Digital
Adjunct Professor, University of Maryland
Board Member, Connectiv: The Business Information Association
Board Member, Specialized Information Publishers Association
Moderator, Collaborative Gain Marketing and Data Science Council
Subscription Insider's Technology Insider Guide

email: kevinnovak@2040digital.com
Phone: 202-207-6896
Web: 2040digital.com

3.  RE: Email marketing/automation: Pardot, Campaign Monitor

Posted Feb 09, 2017 07:33
Hi Judy,

I just wanted to chime in that Campaign Monitor's support is not the greatest... If you ask them simple questions they are pretty good at getting back to you quickly and with answers that are complete. When you ask them questions that are more difficult and involved their support seems to fall off. I have been using Campaign Monitor for two years and that minor complaint hasn't been enough for me to move elsewhere, but it is worth knowing!

Best of luck with whichever platform you choose.

Zach Shefska

Director, Fundraising Report Card

MarketSmart

College Park, MD

4.  RE: Email marketing/automation: Pardot, Campaign Monitor

Posted Feb 09, 2017 10:03
Thank you, Kevin and Zach! It's really helpful to know about the user experience with these platforms.

Judy Freed
Chicago, Illinois

5.  RE: Email marketing/automation: Pardot, Campaign Monitor

Posted Feb 10, 2017 11:27
Good morning! I think it depends on what you're planning to use marketing automation for. My nonprofit currently uses Campaign Monitor, actually, and it was great for the past three years. It's easy to build templates and to set up very basic drip marketing. But, we're actually moving ourselves over to Pardot in the next year, because we have three programs that have grown to need additional backend software to support them, and since Salesforce is our CRM Pardot can handle automating all of the different user flows we have with our websites, email, social media, etc., out of Salesforce, whereas Campaign Monitor isn't robust enough. Pardot will also replace some other marketing tools we use, too, like Sprout Social and FormStack.  

Patrick Duggan
Marketing Director
Pacific Community Ventures
San Francisco, CA

6.  RE: Email marketing/automation: Pardot, Campaign Monitor

Posted Feb 13, 2017 12:13
Thanks, Peter! It's helpful to hear about some of the trade-offs.

Judy Freed
Chicago, Illinois