CommBuild

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Focused on building and sustaining online and offline communities for nonprofits and other mission-driven organizations.
The CommBuild group is focused on building and sustaining online and offline communities for nonprofits and other mission-driven organizations. Anyone interested in community building, whether you are formally in a community management job or not, is welcome to join the group.

Short link: http://community.nten.org/commbuild

Topic: Are polls useful to engage a community?

• feedback needed

1.  Are polls useful to engage a community?

Posted Mar 30, 2017 12:27

We share a daily e-news digest that now also includes a monthly poll about a relevant topic to our stakeholders.

The nice things about the poll is that it provides us with another way to measure subscriber engagement, i.e. open/click rate, and now poll responses.

The interesting thing is that we are now also receiving emailed feedback: questions about the topic, sharing of related information, etc., and this quantitative and qualitative data could be used as food for thought for the entire community. 

Other than simply posting content, has anyone used poll data to engage a larger group in discussions outside of their poll?

Cheers~

Talya

------------------------------
Talya Rotem
Digital Community Manager
SmartSAVER
Toronto, ON

2.  RE: Are polls useful to engage a community?

Posted 3 days ago
I think polls are of limited functionality. Though they are nice in that they provide real, actionable information and data, they don't really provide much in the way of engagement. Polls serve well as an initial/introductory step, but real engagement happens through thoughtful questions and answers, and helping to make people feel like they are being heard, and that they matter.

That being said. Polls are quick and easy, and provide a low barrier for community engagement. So, maybe start with polls with a strategy to move on to deeper engagement from there.

Larry Glickman
Director Network Engagement and Collaboration
Union for Reform Judaism
New York, NY

3.  RE: Are polls useful to engage a community?

Posted 3 days ago
And if you share the poll results back to the community, you are going to set them up to be annoyed with you. Only poll if you plan to use the information in a concrete way and if you plan to share back with the community. As Larry said, should be a first step toward engagement/larger plans vs. a one-off.

--
Christina Lizaso, M.N.O.
I build Communities of Purpose
Specializing in healthcare digital community building & communications.

Find me on Twitter @btrfly12
Also find me on LinkedIn
or even by phone (214) 733-0832

co-founder & co-moderator, #gyncsm community for GYN cancers
believer in the patient voice
Get empowered in your health -> ePatient101.com online classes

4.  RE: Are polls useful to engage a community?

Posted 2 days ago

Thank you Larry!

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear!

"Polls are quick and easy, and provide a low barrier for community engagement. So, maybe start with polls with a strategy to move on to deeper engagement from there."

A simple tactic that could be used to move an email respondent towards the community.

Much appreciated~

Talya

Talya Rotem
Digital Community Manager
SmartSAVER
Toronto, ON

5.  RE: Are polls useful to engage a community?

Posted 23 hours ago
Good luck!

Larry Glickman
Director Network Engagement and Collaboration
Union for Reform Judaism
New York, NY