Discuss

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Online Learning

• 1.  Online Learning

Posted 10 days ago
    We are working to introduce an online learning academy and I'm looking for a few specific referrals:

1) LMS vendors you've worked with successfully
    2) Adult / online education expert resources - input into how you've assured your online content meets best practices for adult and online learners, and any resource referrals

Thanks very much for any input! Ann

Ann Gergen (She/Her/Hers)
    Executive Director
    Association of Governmental Risk Pools (AGRiP)
    9 Cornell Road | Latham, NY 12110
    Phone: 518.220.0336

• 2.  RE: Online Learning

Posted 8 days ago
    Hi Ann, have you checked out Talented Learning's resource center. It's filled with excellent free resources on various products, excellent blog articles, and expert advice from various authorities in the LMS market. You may find value in exploring the site here. Wish you much success in your software search!

------------------------------
    Chad Stewart
    SmartThoughts
    www.smartthoughts.net
    chad@smartthoughts.net

• 3.  RE: Online Learning

Posted 8 days ago
    Hi Ann,

Make sure part of your research includes reading LMS recommendations at ReviewMyLMS.com. There are 134 reviews on 40+ LMS platforms.

Ben

Ben Martin
    Chief Engagement Officer
    Online Community Results
    Nashville, TN

• 4.  RE: Online Learning

Posted 7 days ago
    Hi Ann,
    I am a big fan of LinkedIn Learning, especially for anything Microsoft. We are a Microsoft shop so we use it to educate our employees on all of the tools that we have at our fingertips through Office 365. We also use Relias as a clinical training LMS. Depending on your subscription level, I believe that both of those let you add your own content if you want to distribute your own how-tos.

Bruce

Bruce Tyler
    CFO
    Turning Point of Central California, Inc.
    Visalia, CA

• 5.  RE: Online Learning

Posted 6 days ago
    Also check out Cornerstone LMS.  They run nonprofitready.org

Beth Kanter
    Master Trainer, Speaker, Author, and Blogger
    The Happy Healthy Nonprofit
    Los Altos, CA

• 6.  RE: Online Learning

Posted 5 days ago
    Hi Ann,
    Cornerstone (CSOD) is a leadered in enterprise class LMS.  Our organization is one of the early Cornerstone Foundation Impact grantees.  Cornerstone has been an amazing partner for us the past 5 years. If you would like to speak more about our experience in expanding our programs and reach using their LMS platform let me know.  I can also provide some introductions to the Foundation to learn more about how to apply for a grant and the possible solutions they could offer.
    Sue

Sue Ben
    Vice President, Information Technology
    Ounce of Prevention Fund
    Chicago, IL

• 7.  RE: Online Learning

Posted 4 days ago
    Thank you Sue and Beth for the shoutouts.

I direct NonprofitReady.org and happy to talk with you directly about your org needs. We have a  variety of programs to support nonprofits.  Also, our NonprofitReady.org portal is free -and anyone can register to take advantage of our free resources.
    Best,
    Rebecca Petersen

Director, Nonprofitready.org
    Twitter: @rpetersmauri ​

Rebecca Petersen
    Cornerstone OnDemand Foundation
    Medford, MA

• 8.  RE: Online Learning

Posted 5 days ago
    Hi Ann,

I've found Tagoras to be a useful resource in this area.

Best wishes in your search!

Emilio Arocho
    Director, Technology and Digital Strategy
    Food and Drug Law Institute

Community Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group.

• 9.  RE: Online Learning

Posted 4 days ago
    We launched Bridge LMS by Instructure. We selected this LMS in large part for its ease of use for learners, their pricing model, and its ability to integrate with other platforms.  On average we deliver online courses to 800 learners a month.

Our courses are designed by Allen Interactive who are experts in course design.

I would recommend both be included in your search and am happy to further the discussion if you would like a deeper understanding of how we deliver and manage programs on Bridge.

James Stewart
    CIO
    NAMI
    Arlington, VA

• 10.  RE: Online Learning

Posted 2 days ago
    Ann,

Your interesting post caught my eye. Ultimately it prompted this brand new, very informative blog post on the subject, just for you!

Here's the background:  We have a team member here at Engaging Networks, Simon, who is a true online learning expert. Simon had built a great online learning platform for his former employer -- EventBrite -- and so we hired him two years ago to work this same magic for us, and he did! He built our "Engaging Networks Academy," which is now used by our hundreds of nonprofit clients as a way to get fast, on-demand, user-friendly training -- mainly in bite-sized videos and screencasts, with assessments (aka "quizzes") built in to ensure that they're grasping the content well. This is an especially handy resource whenever our clients hire new staffers who need to get trained up fast on using Engaging Networks. It's also the tool by which we've professionalized the way we certify our many agency partners, who now must get "accredited" in using our software (there are four categories for this) if they want us to endorse their services to our clients. And this accredited status requires all partners to get "re-accredited" via our Academy at least once a year.

Simon was happy to send me some ideas that I could pass along to you and other NTEN members. But he's so Very Passionate about this topic that his reply was a hopelessly long email. So that's why we ended up turning his ideas into a blog post instead. I hope it's helpful to you!

Clint

Clinton O'Brien

Chief Operating Officer
    Engaging Networks

1146 19th Street NW, Suite 800
    Washington DC 20036

office: 202.753.1859
    email: clint@engagingnetworks.net 

Nonprofits use the flexible Engaging Networks online platform to raise money, win advocacy campaigns and engage with supporters in smart, highly targeted ways. Find out more at: www.engagingnetworks.net

If you are an Engaging Networks client and need technical assistance, please contact Client Support at:   support@engagingnetworks.community