Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)

• 1.  California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)

Posted 9 days ago
    Hello all

Wondering if folks are implementing any changes to their digital operations to accommodate the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)?

We use Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, Google Adwords, Wordpress, and Mailchimp.

This link from Google (https://privacy.google.com/businesses/rdp/) says their products are already compliant.

Wondering if folks who use Wordpress, Mailchimp are doing anything?

Thanks

------------------------------
    Redante Asuncion-Reed
    Washington DC
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)

Posted 9 days ago
    That's a really good question, Redante. I'll be following!

Tricia Maddrey BakerSocial Media/Communications ManagerBethesdaMD
    pronouns she/her
    Always Moving Forward

• 3.  RE: California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)

Posted 9 days ago
    Redante, I had this same question about a week ago and so did a little research.

CCPA generally does not apply to nonprofits.

It can under certain circumstances (e.g. see this article).

Steve

Steve Fleckenstein
    futurefactory.org
    Arlington, VA
    pronouns: he/his
    I help people at social-sector organizations communicate, collaborate, and manage information.

• 4.  RE: California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)

Posted 8 days ago
    Many thanks for the info Steve! I appreciate it! This is a big load off of my mind

Redante Asuncion-Reed
    Washington DC

• 5.  RE: California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)

Posted 8 days ago
    CCPA doesn't typically apply to nonprofits, but the NY SHIELD Act does, and its compliance regulations go into effect in just a couple of months. I'm working with clients to help get them ready. Most of the folks in the data privacy and security community are projecting that we will see more regulations in more states that are similar to GDPR, CCPA and SHIELD. Our advice is for organizations to get ahead of the compliance curve. There are organizational policy and culture change issues that take time to address, and it appears there is no avoiding this future. Nor should we avoid it! Privacy is something we should be at the forefront of protecting in the nonprofit industry.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 6.  RE: California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)

Posted 6 days ago
    Isaac, thanks for the heads up on NY SHIELD.  The patchwork of laws is starting to get crazy, and with no expectations for action at the Federal level we're unlikely to see relief any time soon.

The Cybersecurity Essentials for Philanthropy paper recently published by NTEN, TAG & Tech Impact is a call to action for funders, but this issue is not on the radar of most funders, at least from a grant-making perspective. And nonprofits need resources to tackle these issues. My guess is that many nonprofits don't or can't, and the potential exposure across the field is a bit scary.

Much has been written about GDPR, CCPA & SHIELD, but I haven't found concise and comprehensive "decision tree" resources that help nonprofits with small IT/compliance staffs understand what they have to do.  Lots of info on what we might have to do, but the legal nature of these issues makes the info hard to parse sometimes.

Thanks again,
    Steve

Steve Fleckenstein
    futurefactory.org
    Arlington, VA
    pronouns: he/his
    I help people at social-sector organizations communicate, collaborate, and manage information.

• 7.  RE: California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)

Posted 6 days ago
    Steve,

I had this very conversation with our COFO this morning. It is definitely a source of concern as in trying to prepare for the GDPR, there were very few clear directions and many recommendations to seek legal direction for how to handle EU contacts and data.

As you have describe, concise and comprehensive "decision tree" resources would be beyond helpful.

Debra Van Zegeren
    Administrative & Communications Manager
    Birmingham, MI

• 8.  RE: California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)

Posted 2 days ago
    The regulations and enforcement mechanisms are themselves still incomplete or in a state of flux. It makes decision trees impossible to produce. Instead, we take a risk management approach to balance compliance considerations against resources. This is still very messy.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com