Discuss

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Intranet

Taida HorozovicFeb 13, 2018 13:24

Taida HorozovicFeb 13, 2018 13:20

• 1.  Intranet

Posted Feb 06, 2018 12:35
    Hi, I have been assigned a project to build out our Intranet. We use Sharepoint and Office365. We would want something dynamic, with news and updates, document/resource library, articles/RSS, our social media feed, scheduling, pulling some of our key data from Tableu... We are a team of around 20 with different levels of computer literacy. Our aim is to have people use the Intranet and rely on it for relevant information, and to make it fun as well. Does anyone have recommendations how to go about it? I've looked at the templates and they are customizable but it seems to me that what Office 365 offers alone may not respond to all of our needs in making a robust intranet. Any tips are appreciated! Thank you!!

------------------------------
    Taida

• 2.  RE: Intranet

Posted Feb 06, 2018 17:33
    Do you already have a list of the items to include in the intranet? When our office created an intranet a few year ago everyone agreed it sounded like a good idea, but very few people were interested in contributing to the creation. Ensure you know the correct content to include.

Stephanie Henyard
    Information Technology
    Society for College and University Planning
    www.scup.org

• 3.  RE: Intranet

Posted Feb 07, 2018 10:01
    Have to agree with Stephanie - getting partner buy-in and help during creation will be key BUT and this is a big BUT, you also need commitments to maintain content and continue to drive staff to use the service.

I've seen way too many of these projects get overwhelmed with tools and not with process or acceptance.  Moving into an Intranet environment means a culture change for many in an organization.  Shared drives, shared files could be the easiest solution.

All the best,
    Michael

Michael Sola
    Executive Vice President
    Fight Colorectal Cancer
    Springfield, MO

• 4.  RE: Intranet

Posted Feb 13, 2018 13:24
    Edited by Taida Horozovic Feb 13, 2018 13:31

• 5.  RE: Intranet

Posted Feb 13, 2018 13:20
    Edited by Taida Horozovic Feb 13, 2018 13:31

• 6.  RE: Intranet

Posted Feb 07, 2018 07:22
    I ran across this blog post about creating an optimal digital workspace, and thought it might be relevant for you. Looks like there is also a free webinar coming up next week.

How to Wrangle Your Digital Workplace--Making Sense of the Chaos
    Idealstate remove preview
    How to Wrangle Your Digital Workplace--Making Sense of the Chaos
    Question: Who is responsible for making sure that the selection of tools that make up the digital workplace at your organization makes sense? Who is responsible for making sure that it all adds up to a great employee experience? Chances are, there are many cooks in the kitchen, and things are getting a little out of hand.
    View this on Idealstate >

~~~
    Margaux O'Malley
    Senior Manager, Digital Communications, Web Operations
    Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
    pronouns: she/her/hers

• 7.  RE: Intranet

Posted Feb 07, 2018 09:12
    ​Will you be attending NTC 18? If so, please drop in on my breakout: Intranet? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Intranet! We Have a SHARED DRIVE!

While it covers more of the process than you are asking about, it might give you some ideas towards your end-goal, and also put you in touch with others in the same boat with whom to share ideas.

We started out thinking we'd use SharePoint, and wound up going in a completely different direction. So far, we're pleased with our decision.

Nten remove preview
    Intranet? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Intranet! We Have a SHARED DRIVE!
    For many people, an intranet is no more than a web portal to shared files and folders, and justifying the expense of creating, implementing, and adopting an intranet is a hard sell, especially to senior management focused on the bottom line. To those of us who know, an intranet is much more than that.
    View this on Nten >

Grace Barry
    Director of Information Technology
    Family Service League
    Huntington, NY

• 8.  RE: Intranet

Posted Feb 07, 2018 12:42

We used versions of SharePoint 2010 and 2013 before migrating to SP in Office 365.  I can attest that adoption is a significant but not insurmountable hurdle with this otherwise great platform.   We found that two factors made for increased use:

1. A clear and enthusiastic understanding of the benefits of Sharepoint by multiple leads in one department.  This is a scaled-down version of the adoption champions approach.  It lends itself well to increasing adoption department by department.
    2. A critical business function that Sharepoint precisely enables.  In our case, it was a contracts and agreements review process, which was easily automated in SP.  

In terms of the broad adoption, however, constant promotion is required and high-demand content is essential.  If there is a competing file share, make sure the critical content can only be accessed through the intranet.  On that note, make sure there are no barriers to access, whether on premise or remote, using a mobile device, etc.

A popular component, from my experience, is a shout-out wall, where users can easily contribute a continuous stream of accolades and acknowledgements.  Best case for this is enabling it for updates via instant messaging.

Finally, if you can get leadership to actively use - not just champion - the service, others will definitely follow! 

Matt Veltkamp
    Nimbus Nonprofit Solutions
    Washington, DC

• 9.  RE: Intranet

Posted Feb 07, 2018 12:59

Sharepoint can do just about anything you want, but it can't do it for free out of the box. If you are willing to invest some money and time you can create a really useful tool but don't expect to do it on the cheap.

Leland Foster, HM TE

• 10.  RE: Intranet

Posted Feb 08, 2018 10:07
    Hi Taida,
    We are also Sharepoint and O365 users with a similar size org and I created a staff portal on Sharepoint last summer with many if not all of the features you describe. Our Sharepoint is on-premise. It sounds like your talking about working with Sharepoint on-line, but either way I feel pretty confidence that you have the tools that you need and that you can do it without too much difficulty.  Happy to compare notes sometime if you'd like to contact me.

Rob Foley
    IT Director - The Scholarship Foundation of St. Louis

• 11.  RE: Intranet

Posted Feb 08, 2018 12:00
    SharePoint will do everything you want to do. But it will take a little more than templates primarily with your pulling data from other sources. That can also be done by adding the data source and doing the mapping. There are plenty of SharePoint Developers out there. You can also contact Tech Impact for some of the outsourcing, since they are a nonprofit that only serves nonprofits their fees are fare less than your standard out sourcing shop. In the past I have done everything you are talking about with SharePoint and that was with older versions. It just may require some programming to accomplish which honestly would be required with any product out there. You have the base product already which in the long run is the most expensive part.

Anthony Caufield
    Organizer
    Tech4Good-LV
    North Las Vegas, NV

• 12.  RE: Intranet

Posted Feb 11, 2018 14:48
    Are you stuck with Sharepoint? There are so many better tools for internal collaboration out there - Slack, Jostle....

Maddie Grant
    Digital Strategist and Editor
    WorkXO
    Washington, DC

• 13.  RE: Intranet

Posted Feb 12, 2018 08:39
    We are in the early stages of looking for tools. I'm very interested to hear responses.

Ilene Weismehl
    Knowledge Management, Database, and CRM Manager
    Community Catalyst
    Boston, MA

• 14.  RE: Intranet

Posted Feb 13, 2018 09:20
    Notion is pretty cool.

Notion - Docs, Wikis, Tasks. Seamlessly in one.
    Notion remove preview
    Notion - Docs, Wikis, Tasks. Seamlessly in one.
    A new tool that blends your everyday work apps into one. It's a unified and collaborative workspace for you and your team
    View this on Notion >

Fred Simmons
    Chicago, IL

• 15.  RE: Intranet

Posted Feb 12, 2018 10:31
    If you are using O365 the new team stuff actually works better than slack for the additional functionality when you are using it for internal purposes. I think slack is a much better tool for working with partners that you don't necessarily want to give access to your internal systems. So you are correct in that you can hit a limit with Sharepoint stand alone but since O365 is free is you utilize more of the system you will find less gaps and there are plug ins that you can get to cover those while still keeping your central hub for information.

Anthony Caufield
    Organizer
    Tech4Good-LV
    North Las Vegas, NV

• 16.  RE: Intranet

Posted Feb 26, 2018 16:23
    FWIW...

We recently deployed a hybrid environment with SharePoint 2016 on-prem and O365.  So far the adoption has been very good.  Our primary use is in providing on-prem team sites.  SharePoint does take a good amount of work to set up but so far the time spent has been worth it.  A couple of things to note:

• We use Qlikview and displaying dynamic graphics through either a page viewer or content editor web part is seamless. 
    • Amrein Engineering (http://www.amrein.com) has an excellent suite of Web Parts.  Their pricing is very reasonable and they have many useful web parts that will add functionality to your site to help drive adoption and their customer service is excellent.  I would say this is one of the best investments I made for our Intranet site. 
    • If you are looking to integrate with an SSO solution look to bring on a consulting firm.  We went the route of consultants with it and, while expensive, it saved us in the long run.
    • As many others have pointed out, you will need to have the content updated regularly.  To address this I recruited people that send out regular news items and such and created blogs for them with triggers that sends the blog post to their mailing lists.  This gets the content on the site updated, keeps a history of their posts and still distributes the items to the lists.

Feel free to reach out with questions and I'll do my best to find the answer.

Best,

Rob

Robert Faille
    Director - Technology and Analytics
    University of Pennsylvania
    Newtown, PA