WordPress

last person joined: 2 days ago 

A place for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels.
The WordPress group is an engaged network of WordPress developers and content managers, for all skill levels, by WordPress users for WordPress users, to encourage the usage of and advocate for WordPress.

Our goal: to support nonprofit organizations using (or interested in using) WordPress. Additionally, this is a safe and friendly place for beginning WordPress developers and users to ask questions and connect to like-minded people.

Current organizers: Cindy Leonard, Jason King, and Mark Root-Wiley
Short link: http://community.nten.org/wordpress
Anyone can join and contribute to this group! Just create an account to get started.

1.  WordPress Question of the Month - December 2016

Posted Dec 02, 2016 10:45

Happy December!  Here's our WP Question of the Month:

What are some good resources for learning how to do a little coding (HTML, CSS, etc.)?

I'd like to submit an answer to get us started. I'm currently in love with codeacademy.com (free and gamified like Duolingo). Also, Sitepoint always seems to have a few of their books available as free downloads and sometimes runs specials like a few weeks ago where I got 11 of their books completely free. (Worth signing up for their email list to keep an eye on deals.)

There are a ton of learn-to-code resources online, so let's hear your favorites!

Cindy

I6HciS9ORPuDgd6R9VzO_510051-bigthumbnail.jpg

------------------------------
Cindy Leonard
Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management
Pittsburgh, PA

2.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - December 2016

Posted Dec 05, 2016 13:02

Over the years, I've asked my website designer to teach me Drips & Drabs of code. We created an internally-accessed WordPress SOP page with instructions to common things to be done, like photo sizing or proper code checks to ensure code isn't broken. I also look at code when I'm on our site, just to see how the language flows - it really is another language. In the long run, I gotta remember: I'm not the coding expert and it's worth it to me to hire someone to monitor the website through a maintenance contract or to use them when I don't have the time to content changes without possibly mucking it up (and then having to call them in anyway). That said, I know enough to be dangerous and mind my carrots when I can.

Tara Collins
Director of Communication & Resource De
RUPCO, Inc.

3.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - December 2016

Posted Dec 06, 2016 08:16

Forgot to mention: Our area has the Hudson Valley Tech Meet-up every month and the Dev O'Clock group which deals strictly with code and creation. If you're in upstate NY, both of these opportunities are great for techies to build their networks and their skill base.

PS - To save your time and mine, I'm limiting all my responses to five sentences or less.

Tara Collins

Director of Communications & Resource Development

RUPCO, Inc. | 289 Fair Street | Kingston, NY 12401

845 331-2140 ext. 276 office | 845 331-6217 fax | (607) 643-5148 cell

Stay Connected!  FB_FindUsOnFacebook-100   Twitter_logo_blue

NWW-email-signature

4.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - December 2016

Posted Dec 07, 2016 17:53

If you already know HTML and CSS, I found WordPress.StackExchange.com immensely helpful for learning for learning WordPress code. The archive of questions and answers is incredible.

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
Seattle, WA

5.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - December 2016

Posted Dec 17, 2016 16:37

For learning html and css, I usually google my question and often end up here:

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

I don't know why I don't start there.

My big to-do list includes learning php on code academy :-)

Melissa Amarello
Advocates for Snake Preservation
Tucson, Arizona
http://www.snakes.ngo/

6.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - December 2016

Posted Dec 18, 2016 09:09

The book "Designing with Web Standards" by Jeffrey Zeldman was probably the single most useful thing I ever read about coding HTML and CSS. 

Jason King
Freelance WordPress development and Google Ad Grant management
Carcassonne, France

www.kingjason.co.uk

Twitter: @jasoncsking

7.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - December 2016

Posted Dec 19, 2016 11:33

I've used countless resources over the last several years, and the one I'm using right now is Know the Code by Tonya Mork. They have a free plan and two paid plans. It's very WordPress-centric and teaches you WordPress coding and all the relevant technologies, including PHP and jQuery.

This resource is by far the best one I've used because Tonya does an excellent job of teaching the big picture and the "why" behind coding and computer science. It may be overkill for some, but I've loved how many lightbulb moments I've had and how much better it has made me at being a developer.

Otherwise, back in the day, I first learned PHP through Jeffrey Way's videos on Tutsplus.

Andy Stitt
Founder and WordPress Consultant
Deliberate Media Solutions
http://deliberatemediasolutions.com
Host of the WordPress for Nonprofits podcast
http://wpfornonprofits.org/