WordPress

last person joined: 3 days ago 

A place for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels.
The WordPress group is an engaged network of WordPress developers and content managers, for all skill levels, by WordPress users for WordPress users, to encourage the usage of and advocate for WordPress.

Our goal: to support nonprofit organizations using (or interested in using) WordPress. Additionally, this is a safe and friendly place for beginning WordPress developers and users to ask questions and connect to like-minded people.

Short link: http://community.nten.org/wordpress

1.  WordPress Question of the Month - February 2017

Posted Feb 01, 2017 12:46
Dear WP community,

It's time for the WordPress Question of the Month. However, I am officially "out of" questions to ask, having crowd-sourced a list of Q's a while back. (Yes, I could make up my own questions, but would much rather let the community drive this feature so it's more useful to you all.)

So my question for this month is: what are your burning WordPress questions? 

Please send me your questions either via PM on here or via email at leonard@rmu.edu. I will compile, eliminate duplicates, and use the master list to continue this monthly feature. Let's set a "deadline" of Feb. 28 for this campaign, just in time for the March Question post.

For the record, here is the original crowd-sourced list of questions that have been posted in the past 2 years:

• What theme should I use?
  • What are your favorite plugins? (asked the other admins to post this)
  • What website host should I use?
  • What is a child theme and how do I use one?
  • How do I install WordPress manually?
  • How do I install a plugin manually?
  • What were your biggest misconceptions about WordPress before you started using it?
  • How do I backup my WordPress site?
  • How do I secure WordPress against hackers?
  • What would you do if your WordPress site is hacked? 
  • What were your best and/or worst experiences with WordPress consultants?
  • What's your favorite "unknown" plugin?
  • How do I make my site mobile responsive?
  • How do I integrate social media into my site?
  • I'm new to WordPress and I’d be interested in hearing what training most developers went through to attain proficiency?
  • How do I integrate rich media into my site (podcasts, videos, etc.)
  • What should I use for e-commerce? (online donations, event 
  • What are good ways to train WordPress users?
  • Which non-profit's WordPress website would you show to an organization to convince them to use it too?
  • Have you integrated a CRM product with WordPress? If so, which one and what was your experience? tickets, sales, etc.)
  • For those who are WordPress power users but want to take a deeper dive and get their feet wet with a small bit of coding, what are some great, free resources to get started?
  • How do you manage your Media Library when it starts growing out of control?
  • Forms are a huge part of a lot of WP sites. What do you use, and what have you found as far as best practices?
  • Do you build custom content types? If so, do you do it manually or with a plugin? What do you use custom content types for?

------------------------------
Cindy Leonard
Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management
Pittsburgh, PA

2.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - February 2017

Posted Feb 02, 2017 05:22
My burning question, but it's rhetorical:

Why hasn't the page order box been replaced with something less clunky? Users don't even realise what it's for. And yes, I know there's a plugin for that. It's just annoying me today.

Jason King
Freelance WordPress development and Google Ad Grant management
Carcassonne, France

www.kingjason.co.uk

Twitter: @jasoncsking

3.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - February 2017

Posted Feb 06, 2017 14:10
Oh boy, Jason, do I hear you! Whenever I show that little box to team who are completely new to WordPress (think product managers in non-WP agencies) they just give me blank stares and we install a drag-and-drop-to-order pluging. 

Sasha Endoh
Owner
Sasha Endoh Code & Design
Montreal, Canada

4.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - February 2017

Posted Feb 10, 2017 06:15
Hi,

I don't know if will be the question of the month but I am interest to hear experiencies about how WordPress facilitated the empowerment of communications and web publishing in the nonprofit.

Javier Quilez Cabello
WordPress and Office 365 for Nonprofits
JavierQuilez.es

5.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - February 2017

Posted Feb 16, 2017 14:18

Today This post is the last day request for our annual pledge drive question of the month call for questions.

Put on your thinking face!

Sherlock Holmes Thinking GIF
We want any and all suggestions for what you want us asking the group to kick off each month in our awesome WordPress forum! No question is too basic. These questions help get us all talking and sharing our experiences and best practices!

If you have ideas, it's easy to submit. Do any of the following:

If you need a bit of inspiration, check out last week's summary of our group survey results.
And here are a bunch of WordPress and nonprofit website related words!

Theme, Plugin, Widget, Page, Post, Categories, Tags, Taxonomies, Custom Post Types, Events, JavaScript, RSVPs, Donations, Board Members, Staff, Blogging, Editing, Permissions & Roles, Commenting, Social Media, Jetpack, Page Builders, Templates, Importing / Exporting

And here's the dashboard.

WordPress Dashboard
Let us know what's on your mind!

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
Seattle, WA

6.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - February 2017

Posted Feb 16, 2017 14:52
I'd still be interested in knowing how, or if, people manage volunteers on their websites using WP. Whether they just do intake there, or somehow manage the whole process I'd be delighted to hear of some tech magic that would make the whole thing less painful.  :-)

7.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - February 2017

Posted Feb 16, 2017 14:58
Great suggestion, Gordon! Thank you!

I'll be interested to hear peoples' answers when Cindy asks about that too :)

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
Seattle, WA

8.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - February 2017

Posted Feb 17, 2017 08:43
Great question!  I've added this to my queue for the Question of the Month feature.  Thank you, Gordon!

I now have exactly three months worth of questions, so please do continue to noodle, everyone!

Cindy

Cindy Leonard, Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management at Robert Morris University, 
339 Sixth Ave, Ste 750, Pgh, PA 15222
p 412-397-6007 | f 412-397-6016 | leonard@rmu.edu | www.bcnm-rmu.org

9.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - February 2017

Posted Feb 17, 2017 12:20
Is there some trick to searching for specific pages on the back end? We have lots and lots and lots of pages here at NTEN and sometimes it's hard to find the page I'm trying to edit, especially if it's a subpage. 

I'm accustomed to using quotation marks around a term in other systems, but that doesn't seem to work here. And I know that if I'm logged in and on a page on the front end, I could click edit in the top bar but we sometimes have oddities where WP thinks I'm not logged in and the only way I can access the back end is to log out, log in again, and go to the dashboard. 

Any tips or tricks?

Erin Doherty
Digital Engagement Manager
Nonprofit Technology Network
Portland, OR

10.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - February 2017

Posted Feb 17, 2017 12:25
I used a plugin called PageMash for a project with more than 8,000 pages. Not sure if the plugin is still maintained. 

--
Amar Trivedi | AmDee LLC | Phone: (240) 342-6271 ext. 700
Twitter: @AmDeeLLC | LinkedInlinked.in/amartrivedi/