WordPress

last person joined: one month ago 

A place for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels.
The WordPress group is an engaged network of WordPress developers and content managers, for all skill levels, by WordPress users for WordPress users, to encourage the usage of and advocate for WordPress.

Our goal: to support nonprofit organizations using (or interested in using) WordPress. Additionally, this is a safe and friendly place for beginning WordPress developers and users to ask questions and connect to like-minded people.

Short link: http://community.nten.org/wordpress

1.  Member Profile: Laura Sharkey

Posted Oct 10, 2016 12:31

Happy Monday!

We're continually trying to strengthen this community, and one way we want to do that is by helping us all get to know each other better. We of course have our Introductions thread (post if you haven't before!), but once a month I'm going to post a Q&A with a member of our WordPress online community. Each post will include at least one question for further discussion, so please read on and chime in!

It's clear from our survey that nearly everyone is here to learn from and share real-world experiences of using WordPress with nonprofits. Please share your experiences when you feel comfortable and can relate to the stories.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month's featured member is Laura Sharkey!

rOuYRaHSdK04cuRzzHN1_ImageDisplay.aspxWhat's your job title and who do you work for?
I am the Information Technology Director at Off the Mat, Into the World (OTM), but that title is highly inflated. I am really more of a low-level manager/techie. I am the first IT-specific employee ever hired at OTM and this is my first time ever working without an IT-centric manager guiding my work, so it's a learning curve for both me and the directors I report to.

Our primary mission is to bridge yoga and activism, and we do this primarily through online and in-person leadership trainings. Our mission (as presented on our website): "We help yogis utilize the tools of yoga, meditation, and self-inquiry to create conscious, sustainable change in themselves, their communities, and the world through leadership trainings, online courses, service and action projects, and much more."

When and how did you get started with WordPress?
I first started using WordPress for my personal website (not currently active) mostly because I was curious about it, and wanted to ensure that the website I built for myself was interactive. I know enough javascript, HTML, CSS and PHP to be dangerous, but I didn't want to rely on my level of knowledge at the time to build a highly interactive site without a framework as guidance. I chose WordPress both because it is so popular that I knew there would be plenty of online technical support/discussion, and because ideologically, I prefer to use open source products when possible.

One thing I really like about WordPress is the effort and intent over the past few years that has gone into making it more universally accessible. It still has a long way to go, but I appreciate that there are so many people working on both the core product and on themes and plugins to make it much easier than with other products to ensure that the website is accessible. I still have a lot to learn about internet accessibility; WordPress is an ideal platform for experimenting, learning and then using in production the kinds of changes that I am making to our public-facing sites.

How do you use WordPress these days? What type of WordPress user are you?
At OTM, we use SquareSpace for our public website. I am not a fan of SquareSpace and have had numerous challenges with customizations that we need to support our online store (we use it for registration/payment for our courses, and for purchase of our course recordings), and automating interactive and customized auto-replies related to our course offerings.

We've also had some challenges with any kind of back-end automation we want to set up (e.g., subscribing customers to our mailing list if they choose to sign up when they register or donate on our site). Because of many of these challenges, I have begun to use WordPress sites for the functionality that I can't easily integrate into SquareSpace.

What's your dream feature for a future version of WordPress?
Universal accessibility as a requirement for all themes and plugins.

What's your biggest WordPress pet peeve?
That I can't easily redirect logins somewhere other than the console without coding or using a plugin. This should be built-in. Also, that I can't disable logins without taking the site completely offline without a plugin. This, also, should be built-in.

Do you have a recent WordPress/website win you could share with us?
http://oneheartyogaforeveryone.org It's very simple, but it does exactly what we want it to. I created a child theme from the Tiny Framework theme. The plugins in use are Contact Form 7, Contact Form 7 Datepicker, Contact Form 7: Accessible Defaults, Easy Media Download and WP Accessibility Helper.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A huge thanks to Laura for being my guinea pig for these questions and giving such great answers!

To keep this discussion going, it sounds like Laura has been doing the hard work of migrating features and functions off of SquareSpace and onto WordPress. Who else has experience migrating a non-WordPress website into WordPress? What worked well and what do you wish you had known before you started?

------------------------------
Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
Seattle, WA

2.  RE: Member Profile: Laura Sharkey

Posted Oct 10, 2016 15:03
Thank you for sharing your story with the group, Laura!  I echo your wish for universal accessibility in WP core, themes and plugins.

Cindy

Cindy Leonard, Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management at Robert Morris University, 
339 Sixth Ave, Ste 750, Pgh, PA 15222
p 412-397-6007 | f 412-397-6016 | leonard@rmu.edu | www.bcnm-rmu.org

It's time for TechNow! Register today to receive Early Bird rates! www.technowconference.org

3.  RE: Member Profile: Laura Sharkey

Posted Oct 12, 2016 17:22

Hey, maybe one thing we can do on this forum is curate a list of themes and plugins that have been tested for accessibility.

Laura Sharkey
Information Technology Director
Off the Mat, Into the World
San Francisco, CA

4.  RE: Member Profile: Laura Sharkey

Posted Oct 12, 2016 21:35
I think that's a great idea! I'm thinking the best place to put something like that might be the Resources section, but unfortunately that is limited to file upload (not like wiki where we could all add to it).  So we'd have to collect the plugin names/urls, make a list, then upload. 

We could possibly just start a separate thread and devote it to accessible plugins.

Thoughts, anyone?  (Bethany Lister - have any other groups accomplished such a thing, and if so, how did they manage it?)

Cindy

Cindy Leonard, Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management at Robert Morris University, 
339 Sixth Ave, Ste 750, Pgh, PA 15222
p 412-397-6007 | f 412-397-6016 | leonard@rmu.edu | www.bcnm-rmu.org

It's time for TechNow! Register today to receive Early Bird rates! www.technowconference.org

5.  RE: Member Profile: Laura Sharkey

Posted Oct 13, 2016 04:00

The repository's theme review process has an optional stage for Accessibility that requires the theme to undergo an accessibility audit.

The themes that passed can be found by filtering for the Accessibility ready tag.

Of course, that only covers free themes, not premium ones.

Jason King
WordPress Web Developer
Freelance
Laure-Minervois
www.kingjason.co.uk

Twitter: @jasoncsking

6.  RE: Member Profile: Laura Sharkey

Posted Oct 11, 2016 13:33

Great initiative Mark, and thanks for sharing your story Laura!

Laura - How long do you think you're going to continue to use the Squarespace site and what's preventing you from moving OTM off Squarespace and on to WordPress? Is it just a matter of time? Resources? Or does Squarespace offer a particular feature or function that would be difficult to get through a WordPress solution?.. Just curious.

Thanks again!

Dennis Powers
Business Developer
Cheeky Monkey Media

7.  RE: Member Profile: Laura Sharkey

Posted Oct 12, 2016 17:17

Hi, Dennis, I hope to move off of SquareSpace as soon as we can; there are no features/functionality on SquareSpace that we can't easily get on WordPress.  I just haven't move the site yet because we want to hire a developer to migrate the site and help us set up the commerce portion, recommend plugins for that, etc.  We don't have the budget yet to do that, so that is the only reason we are waiting.

Laura Sharkey
Information Technology Director
Off the Mat, Into the World
San Francisco, CA

8.  RE: Member Profile: Laura Sharkey

Posted Oct 13, 2016 19:03

Thanks Laura,

Best of luck with it. I hope the migration to WordPress happens for you soon. And thanks again for sharing your story.

Dennis Powers
Business Developer
Cheeky Monkey Media

9.  RE: Member Profile: Laura Sharkey

Posted Oct 12, 2016 15:14

I love this new feature! 

Thanks for sharing, Laura!

9UEXTAhdS7GfdBKBT21l_giphy (3).gif

Bethany Lister
Community Engagement Manager