WordPress

last person joined: 28 days ago 

A place for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels.
The WordPress group is an engaged network of WordPress developers and content managers, for all skill levels, by WordPress users for WordPress users, to encourage the usage of and advocate for WordPress.

Our goal: to support nonprofit organizations using (or interested in using) WordPress. Additionally, this is a safe and friendly place for beginning WordPress developers and users to ask questions and connect to like-minded people.

Short link: http://community.nten.org/wordpress

1.  Experiences with WordPress.com and Small Nonprofits

Posted Sep 30, 2016 03:42

All of us we know that WordPress.org give us more possibilites to implement a lot of features in the website.

But I think that WordPress.com are the valid solution for many small nonprofits.

In this community for nonprofits, which experiences you have had with WordPress.com?

For me a small nonprofits don't have possibility to invest a lot money, their invest must be very justified and don't have any person for mantain the website.

For me the minimun website is with a custom domain, $18/year.

I think the free plan with a custom domain it's a good point to start.

Thanks ;)

------------------------------
Javier Quilez Cabello
WordPress & Office 365 for Nonprofits
JavierQuilez.es

2.  RE: Experiences with WordPress.com and Small Nonprofits

Posted Sep 30, 2016 04:07

I've put several small non-profits on WordPress.com. 

Often that was because they didn't have enough the capacity to run a hosted site: they didn't have enough funding; or their staff weren't techie enough; or their needs were so simple that WordPress.com was ideal; or it was their first website and they didn't know whether they really wanted to choose WordPress long-term.

I always recommend they buy the full plan, so at least CSS is editable and they have a greater choice of themes etc, so they have a hope of reflecting any branding they might have. There are very few non-profits that can't afford at least that.

On the WordPress.org support forums, one of the most common mistakes people make is confusing .org for .com and going to the wrong place for advice, or wondering why they can't install plugins on .com. So if you do set up an organisation on one or the other, explain the difference.

But WordPress.com is like riding a child's bike with stabilisers on. One day they will grow out of it and want a big red bicycle like Mummy's, with bells and whistles.

Jason King
WordPress Web Developer
Freelance
Laure-Minervois
www.kingjason.co.uk

Twitter: @jasoncsking

3.  RE: Experiences with WordPress.com and Small Nonprofits

Posted Sep 30, 2016 11:49

This is a great question and I hope a few other people can share their experiences—good or bad—with WordPress.com their own websites.

Just in case people are not familiar with the distinction of the two, I wanted to share two resources that explain the difference between WordPress.com and "self-hosted WordPress" (aka "WordPress.org"):

That second link also includes advice for moving from WordPress.com to a self-hosted WordPress site.

One other use I imagine WordPress.com is good for is setting up quick "microsites" for events, campaigns, special projects, etc. that you want with their own branded site and domain. The relative simplicity of microsites makes them a great candidate for WordPress.com.

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
Seattle, WA

4.  RE: Experiences with WordPress.com and Small Nonprofits

Posted Sep 30, 2016 11:55

Good point about using WordPress.com for micro-sites. I did that recently with an association of woodturners. Their main website is WordPress.org, hosted with WP Engine.

They wanted an additional website to promote an event. Since they were using Eventbrite to manage sign-ups, it was easier to use WordPress.com's Eventbrite theme than go through the rigmarole of installing and maintaining a separate WordPress install.

Jason King
WordPress Web Developer
Freelance
Laure-Minervois
www.kingjason.co.uk

Twitter: @jasoncsking

5.  RE: Experiences with WordPress.com and Small Nonprofits

Posted Oct 06, 2016 02:43

@Mark and @Jason Thank you for your replies.

It's a good point to use WordPress.com for microsites and event sites.

Javier Quilez Cabello
WordPress & Office 365 for Nonprofits
JavierQuilez.es

6.  RE: Experiences with WordPress.com and Small Nonprofits

Posted Oct 07, 2016 14:35

I recently launched a WordPress.com microsite for a time-limited discussion with an all-volunteer group.

Not only did it save them the effort of integrating that discussion into their main site (a custom legacy system), but it got them understanding WordPress concepts at a deeper level so they'll be able to intelligently discuss "WordPress? and if so .com or .org?" when we look at migrating the legacy system to a different platform in 2017.

These days I have a bias to WordPress.com since I mostly work with *very* small organizations. If it works, it works. Decisions on how much money (and *time*) to invest can be deferred until they find a specific limitation that they need to lift.

Nancy Shoemaker
Raleigh, NC