Discuss

last person joined: 6 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources.
Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

New to the group? Introduce yourself!
Reminder: Job posts are not allowed. Please visit the Nonprofit Tech Job Board to post a job or search for career opportunities.
Short link: http://community.nten.org/ntendiscuss

Subject: digital privacy curricula

1.  digital privacy curricula

Posted Dec 27, 2016 00:45

I am super excited to be helping the awesome Sara Rasmussen at Free Geek develop curricula for an upcoming series of classes on personal digital privacy.

if any of y'all super hive mind types, would be willing to share slides that lean in the individual privacy direction or other resources, it would be much appreciated.  

digital privacy is THE new flavor of the month, in case you haven't noticed, as we approach inauguration day  

I will do my best to post resources I receive off-line back here.

thanks so much

big hugs to anybody i haven't seen in far too long, feel free to give me a shout offline

------------------------------
Marty
@neoluddit

2.  RE: digital privacy curricula

Posted Dec 27, 2016 11:05

Hi Marty!

I have compiled a nice list of end-user security tools. Would you be interested in that? I'd also love to see what others have to share.

--Keith

Keith Berner

Director, Information Technology

Freedom House

Phone/mobile: +1 202.747.7003

berner@freedomhouse.org

1850 M Street, NW, Fl 11, Washington, DC 20036 USA

3.  RE: digital privacy curricula

Posted Dec 27, 2016 11:41
Keith,

I would love to see your list.  

Thanks!

Beth Camero
California Association of Health Facilities

4.  RE: digital privacy curricula

Posted Dec 27, 2016 12:23
  |   view attached

Hi everyone!

I'm attaching my curated list of end-user security tools. Please consider this a living document and note the proviso on top: this is not a peer reviewed, definitive guide, but rather a best effort by an individual. Please provide feedback, including more info about the tools listed and suggestions of additions to this list.

--Keith

Keith Berner

Freedom House

berner@freedomhouse.org

Attachment(s)

5.  RE: digital privacy curricula

Posted Dec 28, 2016 23:02

Saying "hi" back at you, Marty. Sounds like a great course you're putting together and one that does fill an informational void.

Ken - thanks for sharing your beautifully compiled and curated list of privacy options.

One I love that I'd add is Cloak, which is a VPN for unsecured networks. One sign-in for your phone and computer, and checking just now on the website, I notice that Cloak has rolled out a team solution, too. This is the Macworld review from 2014, and it's even better now. (No affiliate anything, just a fan!)

Wishing everyone a happy new year and only great things for your cause in the year to come,
Debra

Debra Askanase
Founder & Digital Engagement Strategist
Community Organizer 2.0
Waltham MA
(617) 682-2977

6.  RE: digital privacy curricula

Posted Dec 29, 2016 12:12

Debra--

Did I miss a list of options that Ken posted? I can't find it.

--Keith

PS. I will be taking a look at Cloak for adding to my list.

Keith Berner
Freedom House
Washington DC
berner@freedomhouse.org

7.  RE: digital privacy curricula

Posted Dec 29, 2016 12:54

Since Debra mentioned Cloak as a recommended VPN, I want to point to two additional resources relevant to selecting a VPN (I have now added these to the resources list in my document):

https://www.privacytools.io/

and

https://www.privacytools.io/

I note that neither site seems to "like" Cloak.

Keith Berner

Freedom House

berner@freedomhouse.org

8.  RE: digital privacy curricula

Posted Dec 29, 2016 09:19

Ken, thanks so much for sharing your incredible list of resources and tools for digital security and privacy. It's a terrific list. 

-Joshua

Joshua Peskay
RoundTable Technology
joshua@roundtabletechnology.com
www.rtt.nyc

9.  RE: digital privacy curricula

Posted Dec 29, 2016 12:10

Hi Joshua!

Do you mean to thank Ken or me for list or resources/tools? (I'm mostly curious, because I don't want to miss anything that Ken posted.

--Keith

Keith Berner
Freedom House
Washington DC
berner@freedomhouse.org

10.  RE: digital privacy curricula

Posted Dec 30, 2016 08:04

Ooops. I meant to thank you, KEITH. Ken is also awesome, but I was attempting to thank you, Keith, for your terrific list of tools and resources

Joshua Peskay
RoundTable Technology
www.rtt.nyc

11.  RE: digital privacy curricula

Posted Dec 28, 2016 10:08

Idealware gave a great webinar last week about data security. A lot of what they discussed applies to personal digital privacy as well. There's a recording here: http://seminars.idealware.org/Security%20Panel%20Recording/lib/playback.html

Judy Freed
Marketing Strategist, Alliance for the Great Lakes
Co-Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data Community
Chicago, Illinois

12.  RE: digital privacy curricula

Posted Dec 28, 2016 14:16
That's wonderful! Everyone is hot hot hot for security right now...seems they forget that dragnet surveillance has been the landscape for almost a decade.

In Los Angeles, we use a curriculum I developed with EFF, NLG-LA, and the Stop LAPD Spying Coalition called "Power, Not Paranoia" which looks at the security challenge as one more about process than tools. Right now, list upon list is being generated without thinking about things such as statutory retention and production windows organizations might have.

Security doesn't scale well. Most security literature could potentially be good for the individual but bad for organizations.

Finally, there's often a missing conversation about building communities of practice and making sure the technology doesn't stand in the way of mission driven work. When the tech gets in the way of mission driven work, we are inviting "shadow IT" which is to say practices which aren't organizationally sanctioned but necessary for folks to get their work done.

Let me know if there's a way to plug in with larger efforts. Gunnar and the Aspiration crew have done a great job making some of these conversations happen. 
k
ps: At the end of January, I'm on a webinar as a panelist for an Immigration Advocates Network webinar on this topic.
Ken Montenegro, JD
Information Technology Director
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Los Angeles

1145 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90017
T: (213) 977-7500 (213) 241-0219
C: (323) 545-4904
F: (213) 977-7595
advancingjustice-la.org
AJLA Logo
Building upon the legacy of the
Asian Pacific American Legal Center

13.  RE: digital privacy curricula

Posted Dec 28, 2016 14:31

I'm grateful for this conversation, so far. FWIW, I follow these issues not only in my day job, but also as leader of a task force on digital privacy in my home town of Takoma Park, MD. Looking forward to hearing more!

Keith Berner
Freedom House
o) +1 202.747.7003
m) +1 301.588.5080

1850 M Street NW, Fl 11
Washington, DC 20036 USA

14.  RE: digital privacy curricula

Posted Dec 29, 2016 09:10

Hey, so glad to see this topic being raised. It's been foremost on my mind for a while and I'm involved in a number of different efforts.

Three things I have to share right now:

1) A growing list of digital security and privacy resources (comment access for all, so please add resources and/or comment on existing ones. . First resource is the EFF's Surveillance Self Defense, which in my opinion is as good a place to start as you will find. 

2) I am in the process of putting together a 10-part series of 30-minute free webinars that will run from late January through April (one session every other week). It will the "Digital Security Ninja Training" and will include a quiz and Ninja certification for those who ace the quiz. I would LOVE feedback on this for anyone who is interested in attending any or all sessions, being a panelist, or both. 

3) The podcast "Note to Self" is going to be doing a project called the "Privacy Paradox" starting in January 2017. The link includes a sign-up. 

I hope that's helpful. 

Joshua Peskay
RoundTable Technology
www.rtt.nyc

15.  RE: digital privacy curricula

Posted Dec 30, 2016 11:05

hey everybody

with warm shout-outs to keith, debra & ken

thanks for the great resources, keep em coming

while i am trepidatious about the coming few years, it's nice to see so many people starting to be more aware & building resources.  

PS yes, ken, doing something about surveillance should have been so five minutes ago but we didn't want to disappoint all you cynical leftists by springing into action too early ;-p

Marty
@neoluddit

16.  RE: digital privacy curricula

Posted Jan 03, 2017 10:50

+1 million to Ken's comments about security being about process more than tools and the difference between the individual and organizational context.

I'd like to add that another missing conversation is one that should be a preface to any adoption of new tool or practice--what are you trying to protect yourself against/what are your vulnerabilities/how much and what kinds of risk are you willing to assume? It's not like everyone needs to do an in-depth threat assessment before anything else, but thinking through some basic questions goes a long way. IMHO a lot of the resources being pushed out there right now skip right over that, so folks are signing up for Signal left and right without really considering why and what it does for them.

Also a lot of tools are talked about as "safe" or "secure"--but against what? Google is very secure against unauthorized access by a non-accountholder, especially if 2FA is on and as long as password practices are good (a big if I realize!). It is not secure against law enforcement subpoena or other unknown types of gov't access, and it is not secure against commercialization of your data. Jitsi's security is entirely dependent on the technical skills and config choices of its host--but most folks getting the recommendation that Jitsi is "safe" don't get the details behind the recommendation or even know that there are more details.

Ok, I'm going to stop ranting now and just name some more resources that I don't think have been mentioned yet that are more on the organizational tip:

* Tactical Tech's Holistic Security Manual: https://holistic-security.tacticaltech.org/

* Idealware report: http://www.idealware.org/reports/nonprofits-need-know-security-practical-guide-managing-risk/

* Set of checklists (assessment of readiness for security initiatives + 3 topics) that my firm produced in collaboration with the capacity building network RoadMap: https://ecl.gy/sec-check. They are meant for organizations meeting the specific criteria laid out in the introduction (U.S.-based, control their physical office and network [though may have remote workers], not trying to protect against nation states, law enforcement, or major corporations, a few others but those are the biggies).

* Good blog posts on the issues at hand:
http://seamustuohy.com/blog/2016/12/07/Choosing-Strategy-Over-Tactics
http://seamustuohy.com/blog/2016/11/11/Rescue-Bots-Oraganizational-Change

I also think the RoundTable 1-hour free security training is super valuable, as are Community IT's webinars on security.

And here is one more thing that is more individual-oriented: https://hackblossom.org/cybersecurity/

Ken, I'd love to see the "Power Not Paranoia" curriculum--is it available anywhere?

Josh, I think the 10-part series is such a good idea--breaking complex topics down into digestible pieces FTW!

-LJ

--  Lisa Jervis Principal Information Ecology: Strategic technology for progressive organizations https://iecology.org/  My preferred pronouns are she/her.
On 12/30/16 8:05 AM, Martin Dooley via NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network wrote:
hey everybody with warm shout-outs to keith, debra & ken thanks for the great resources, keep em coming while i am trepidatious about the...

NTEN Discuss

Re: digital privacy curricula
Reply to Group Reply to Sender
Martin Dooley
Dec 30, 2016 11:05 AM
Martin Dooley

hey everybody

with warm shout-outs to keith, debra & ken

thanks for the great resources, keep em coming

while i am trepidatious about the coming few years, it's nice to see so many people starting to be more aware & building resources.  

PS yes, ken, doing something about surveillance should have been so five minutes ago but we didn't want to disappoint all you cynical leftists by springing into action too early ;-p

Marty
@neoluddit

Reply to Group Online   View Thread   Recommend   Forward   Flag as Inappropriate  

You are subscribed to the NTEN Discuss community as lisa@iecology.org. To change your notifications, go to Community Notifications. To unsubscribe this community, go to Unsubscribe.

NOTE: Links in this message are connected to your account. Clicking links in this message will log you into your account automatically. Be careful when sharing.
17NTC                                   Register

17.  RE: digital privacy curricula

Posted Jan 04, 2017 10:29

Slam dunk! Thanks Lisa for taking the time to post these helpful resources!

basketball dunk

Ariel Jensen-Vargas
Masters of Public Administration candidate, specializing in Nonprofit Administration
Marxe School of Public and International Affairs (until recently the Baruch School of Public Affairs)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/webmamma
Queens, NY

18.  RE: digital privacy curricula

Posted Jan 03, 2017 16:35
The reason why I feel folks need context about the landscape is that some trainings operate on the presumption that surveillance kicks in once Trump is inaugurated. I worry that organizations might be served discovery requests around things like their electoral work for proof of bias. All that would be potentially archived in the superstructure that President Obama has built.

So, it's really analogous to telling folks to put on seatbelts when they aren't aware they've driving on bald tires.

Also, folks rushing into the tools-first approach should take a moment to read thsi first: https://medium.com/@seamustuohy/transformers-rescue-bots-9658018320f9#.shthyz1ju --. It's really the best write up of how to look at this holistically.

k
ps: Marty!!! Sending you a huge embrace dear friend.
Ken Montenegro
Information Technology Director
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Los Angeles

1145 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90017
T: (213) 977-7500 (213) 241-0219
C: (323) 545-4904
F: (213) 977-7595
advancingjustice-la.org
AJLA Logo
Building upon the legacy of the
Asian Pacific American Legal Center