WordPress

last person joined: one month ago 

A place for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels.
The WordPress group is an engaged network of WordPress developers and content managers, for all skill levels, by WordPress users for WordPress users, to encourage the usage of and advocate for WordPress.

Our goal: to support nonprofit organizations using (or interested in using) WordPress. Additionally, this is a safe and friendly place for beginning WordPress developers and users to ask questions and connect to like-minded people.

Short link: http://community.nten.org/wordpress

1.  WordPress Question of the Month - November 2016

Posted Nov 02, 2016 14:49

Hello everyone!  This month's WP Question comes from a Salesforce implementer who was asking me some WordPress questions earlier today.

"What is the best way to set up a testing site if you are working with a site that is already live?"

I look forward to your answers!

Cindy

------------------------------
Cindy Leonard
Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management
Pittsburgh, PA

2.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - November 2016

Posted Nov 02, 2016 15:33

I like to keep it simple.

Choose hosting that comes with a staging server. For example Siteground or WP Engine. Then you can copy the site to the staging server, make and test your changes, and publish it when ready. See https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/staging/ - it's easy enough.

If I was coding with others in a team, would probably need a more complex routine with a Bit of a bucket and an old git.

Jason King
WordPress Web Developer
Freelance
Laure-Minervois
www.kingjason.co.uk

Twitter: @jasoncsking

3.  RE: WordPress Question of the Month - November 2016

Posted Nov 02, 2016 15:40
Like Jason said, many WP hosts provide staging area (WPEngine, Siteground, Pantheon etc.).

When the client is on a host that does not offer staging area - we use our AWS to clone sites using ManageWP and create staging sites.

Amar