Digital Advertising

last person joined: 12 days ago 

This is the brand new group for all things digital advertising. Post here to discuss the wide range of pay-per-click platforms, determining key performance indicators, developing audience, choosing the best cost model (CPM, CPC, CPA, etc.), and more! (Head over to the Digital Communications group to discuss written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits.)

Is there a relationship between CTR and Google's Quality score?

• 1.  Is there a relationship between CTR and Google's Quality score?

Posted 7 days ago
    Hi everyone,
    I'm sure this is a question that everyone here has already figured out, so I'm sure you can help me.
    I am confused about the relationship between Google's Quality Score in Adwords and CTR.
    If you look at the screen snip below, you will see that the Q score is high, but there have been zero click-throughs.
    I don't get it.
    And on some ads, where the CTR is well over 10%, the Q score is 2 or lower!
    I just don't understand. Can anyone help?
    (Below, the number of clicks is 2, the CTR is 0%, and the Q Score is 9/10.)
    Thank you for your help!

------------------------------
    Tricia Maddrey Baker
    Social Media/Communications Manager
    Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation
    Bethesda, MD

• 2.  RE: Is there a relationship between CTR and Google's Quality score?

Posted 7 days ago
    Quality Score is based on Google's assessment of several factors including: landing page experience, relevance of keyword, and expected CTR. It's Google's best guess for how successful your keywords will be, and it affects how many impressions you're likely to get.

When you're looking at keywords' scores in Adwords and wondering how it's calculated, it's worth adding the columns for Quality Score, expected CTR, Ad Relevance, and Landing Page Experience. These provide useful clues.

See Check your Quality Score - Previous - AdWords Help for more info on that.

Sometimes CTR is high but QS is low and they appear to be in contradiction. That could be because it's only one factor. Or it could be that sometimes Adwords just gets things wrong.

My main issue with Quality Score is that it doesn't seem to update automatically when you improve your ads or landing pages.

Jason King
    Freelance WordPress development and Google Ad Grant management
    Mirepoix, France

www.kingjason.co.uk

Twitter: @jasoncsking

• 3.  RE: Is there a relationship between CTR and Google's Quality score?

Posted 2 days ago
    Thank you, Jason!

Tricia Maddrey Baker
    Social Media/Communications Manager
    Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation
    Bethesda, MD