WordPress

last person joined: 2 days ago 

A place for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels.
The WordPress group is an engaged network of WordPress developers and content managers, for all skill levels, by WordPress users for WordPress users, to encourage the usage of and advocate for WordPress.

Our goal: to support nonprofit organizations using (or interested in using) WordPress. Additionally, this is a safe and friendly place for beginning WordPress developers and users to ask questions and connect to like-minded people.

Current organizers: Cindy Leonard, Jason King, and Mark Root-Wiley
Short link: http://community.nten.org/wordpress
Anyone can join and contribute to this group! Just create an account to get started.

1.  Website speed tests - Varying results

Posted Oct 25, 2016 10:45

NTEN Friends,

I’m looking for a reliable way to test the speed of websites. I was recommended different tools by different sources. The problem is those tools (Google Page speed Insight, GTMetrix, Pingdom etc.) are showing very  different results. To some extent it is expected since they are testing from different locations, using different infrastructure and different browsers. Yet it still leaves us with a dillema - How to test (Perhaps including A/B test) the speed of the website? Which speed test tools are trustworthy and relevant? 

Any suggestions or thoughts on the matter?

Best wishes, 

------------------------------
Ben Carp
Embrace NGO

2.  RE: Website speed tests - Varying results

Posted Oct 25, 2016 11:41

I've had this same problem, when I've tested a client's website using one tool, but then they test it with another and query why the results are different.

I think the simple answer is to pick one tool that you like and stick with it, and don't use other tools. Personally I prefer Pingdom.

Also, one test is never reliable. One test might load much slower than usual. That's why I test five times and take an average.

Jason King
WordPress Web Developer
Freelance
Laure-Minervois
www.kingjason.co.uk

Twitter: @jasoncsking