WordPress

last person joined: one month ago 

A place for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels.
The WordPress group is an engaged network of WordPress developers and content managers, for all skill levels, by WordPress users for WordPress users, to encourage the usage of and advocate for WordPress.

Our goal: to support nonprofit organizations using (or interested in using) WordPress. Additionally, this is a safe and friendly place for beginning WordPress developers and users to ask questions and connect to like-minded people.

Short link: http://community.nten.org/wordpress

Topic: New members - please introduce yourself here!

1.  New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jun 23, 2014 20:55
So we can get to know each other, please post a little bit about yourself and your experience with WordPress as a reply to this post.

I'll start...

I've been developing websites for nonprofits (and a few companies) since ~1999.  When I got started, we coded from scratch (yeah, I feel old saying that ;), then the WYSIWYG editors were invented and that made life a little easier.

I got started with WP quite by accident.  My employer, The Bayer Center for Nonprofit Mgmt., is a department of Robert Morris University in Pittsburgh.  A year after I started working there (~2006 or so), I wanted to build a stand-alone website for our TechNow conference rather than having just a page on our department's website.  I asked the marketing department if I could have a website and they said no.  I asked them if I could have a blog and they said yes.  So I investigated free blogging platforms, hoping I could find one that I could tweak enough to act like a website.  Lo and behold, I found WordPress.  

Not long after, it occurred to me that WP was probably powerful enough to use for full-blown websites, not knowing that other developers around the world were having the same thought.  I've been using only WP since about 2007 and have found it to be friendly and easy to train and handover websites for clients.  

In addition to developing sites for nonprofits, I also teach a regular class at the Bayer Center called "DIY Websites with WordPress" and give one-on-one troubleshooting clinics.

I consider myself neither a beginner or advanced user - probably somewhere in the middle.  I build custom sites on the Genesis framework and code just fine in HTML and CSS.  I could get a whole lot better about PHP coding.  I find that I am learning new things about WP all the time!

Cindy

-------------------------------------------
Cindy Leonard
Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management
Pittsburgh PA

2.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jun 24, 2014 06:07
Trained as a librarian. Worked in medical libraries for a few years.

Got my first non-profit job in disability information.

Then ran a community ICT project, helping small non-profits use technology.

Built my first website in 1999 using static html and taught clients to use Adobe Contribute to edit content.

Lived in Australia for a few years where I ran a similar project for Infoxchange, and looked after Baptcare's Intranet (not WordPress, we used the horridly complicated IBM WebSphere).

These days I build all my clients' websites using WordPress. So much easier. Most of my clients are non-profits.

Recently I've been using Zurb Foundation as the framework because it takes care of responsiveness with ease, makes building a site twice as fast, and its code, especially the CSS, is so easy to modify. Specifically I've found Reverie to be a good Foundation-based WordPress theme.

I'm planning to do less web development and more training, and am currently working on a couple of training courses I can deliver - one on WordPress, one on planning and commissioning a new website.

I'm an organiser for NetSquared London.

Jason King
WordPress Web Developer
Freelancer
UK
www.kingjason.co.uk

3.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jun 24, 2014 09:54
I've been involved with various aspects of the Internet since the late 1980s. In 1991, I cofounded what was probably the first Internet-based company, FringeWare, Inc. We were community-based, with an active email list, and we published a magazine called FringeWare Review for several years.  In 1992, when web technology was released, we built a website for the company - so I had an early start with web development. A few years later I was hired by Whole Foods Market to evangelize internally for the Internet, redevelop their intranet and store kiosks leveraging latest Internet technology, and became part of a team that built an ecommerce website for the company. They ended the ecommerce effort in 2000 as an effect of the dotcom bust, and laid the Internet team off. I worked for a consultancy for a year or so, then cofounded a web development company in Austin, Texas, where I currently live.

That company, a partnership called Polycot Consulting, continued to work for Whole Foods Market, but focused more on nonprofit and political websites. We had our own open-source framework, but started using Wordpress in its earliest versions, and corresponded and visited with its creator, who at the time was based in Houston, not far away. We eventually settled on Rails as our primary platform, but continued to use Wordpress as well as Drupal for some projects.

My partners eventually left the company, and I continued using and consulting on Wordpress as I built a couple of new companies, Social Web Strategies and Polycot Associates.  The latter company is now a worker-owned cooperative.

In December 2011 I joined Consumers Union, hired to manage a set of advocacy websites that were migrating from Movable Type to Wordpress. 

Jon Lebkowsky
Web Developer and Manager
Consumers Union of the U.S.
Austin TX

4.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jun 24, 2014 10:57
Hi WordPress peeps!

My name is Yesenia and I was over the moon when Cindy contacted me with the news that she was starting this CoP. :)

I work with nonprofits to build websites, often in WordPress. I've been working in nonprofit tech since 2001.

**And**
I have an Open Q&A call coming up on Monday all about nonprofit websites!

If you're interested, check out the information and submit your question: http://smartcausedigital.com/open-qa-call

I look forward to sharing with y'all,
Yesenia

Yesenia Sotelo
I build smart nonprofit websites.
SmartCause Digital
@silverbell

5.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jun 24, 2014 12:01
I was introduced to the internet and unix/linux in a college computer class where I was given my first unix shell account. That led me to gopher and FTP, which led me to the "On-Line Guitar Archive" (OLGA), which led me to being asked to stop printing guitar tabs in the computer lab. 

I started in tech support at the local ISP in DC and learned html in my spare time.  I built a linux box and hosted some websites on it so I could learn to run the system too. Pretty much by total accident, I got into semi-professional web design/developent after making a site about a band I liked. They saw it and liked it better than the site they had at the time.  We met in DC and it became their official website and I became their "web guy" for a few years.  

In 2003, I went to broadcasting school and then taught TV and Radio technology and Audio/Video production there. While at the school I did A/V production on a local radio show and built their website as well as sites for a number of podcasts and internet radio shows. I had no loyalty to any CMS and used a lot of different ones mostly depending on what plugins/modules were available that fit my needs for that site.  

I've been with Pongos Interactive since 2011, when I really first started working with WordPress. I've been doing a lot of plugin and theme development as well as building communities in BuddyPress/bbPress. Currently, I do plugin and theme development, and some A/V production and graphics work. I also run all of Pongos internet systems and handle all WordPress site migrations, upgrades and maintenance. 

I'm still learning new stuff every day looking forward to learning/helping here. 

Dave Willis
Web Developer / Systems Administrator
Pongos Interactive
College Park MD

6.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jun 24, 2014 15:56
I did my first HTML site (hand coding) in 1995 while at graduate school. It was a very simple Student Association website (but it did teach me basics of HTML and tag based language). Since then I have worked as software developer/architect in various organizations - non-profit, e-commerce start-up, state and Federal government and eventually started my own company! Have been doing WordPress development since 2008. Have written several plugins for our clients (but have never published them). We did an interesting SalesForce-WP integration. You can read more about that here: http://bit.ly/141i13o

Amar Trivedi
President and Founder
AmDee LLC
North Bethesda MD

7.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jun 24, 2014 16:17
Hi,

My name is Venky Nalluri and I am a database developer. I came to know about WordPress when I co-founded KNS Technologies, http://www.knstek.com/ four years ago. We develop content management systems using WordPress for Nonprofits and SMB. I managed several WordPress projects in last four years. We did some interesting works using features like Multi-site, Responsive design, custom plugins etc.   I am a big fan of WordPress's simple architecture and its big ecosystem. There is still a big misconception that WordPress is for small blogs and I don't loose any opportunity to praise the benefits of using WordPress as content management system for enterprises and nonprofits :)

venky nalluri
KNS Technologies corporation
stone ridge VA

8.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jun 25, 2014 14:34
While I was interested in computers and technology from my early teens (I was on the Atari side of the great "Atari vs Commodore" wars of the '80s) my inclinations instead led me to an English degree and briefly into a career as a teacher. I'm still certified to teach, and keep my toes wet by sometimes teaching night courses at a local community college, but my primary role is in a senior management position for the student government at Western University in London, Ontario. For those thinking of their high school student council, it helps to know that Western University's Students' Council is among the largest and most comprehensive student government in Canada, with an annual operating budget of $4,500,000. There, I oversee all IT related resources for their retail outlets, media operations, administrative services, and other student focused services. Most recently, I led the reshaping of our communications portfolio (including the student newspaper, radio station, and social media) to be more responsive to student needs and increase engagement.

Among those changes is the ongoing transition of our diverse websites to the WordPress platform. I have a range of tech experience that has facilitated this adoption, from hand coding HTML "back in the day" to a good working knowledge of PHP, but it's still a bit of a slog and I'm always looking to learn more.

9.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jul 01, 2014 13:30
Thanks you so much for creating this CoP for WordPress.

Also a website creator from the early days 1996, using all kinds of tools over the years and started building my own content management system in ColdFusion. 

I am also the program manager of NFN4Good, a nonprofit technology support and training program. Here we used a proprietary CMS for seven years, the last 5 of them without any updates. When I took over the program in 2009, my first research was CMS system, that would be easy to deploy and easy to use for local small and not so small local nonprofits. We decided to use WordPress, and migrated about 40+ nonprofits. We hold monthly WordPress Walk-in Clinics and I just started up the Wordpress User Group for Southwest Florida. Over the last four years we probably helped with 20 or 30 sites more. 

At that time I put all my thoughts the led to the decision in a blog post: Why WordPress? - I did a brief Why WordPress presentation about a year ago at our local 501TechClub with updated numbers. 

Once I did the research I was hooked and also use WordPress as our preferred tools for our Social Media clients, should they need a more modern system. Here we also experimented with WordPress Muli-User and find it quite promising. 

Right now we are working on our first project CiviCRM on top of WordPress. It's a bit of learning curbe, not so much because of WordPress, but because I am total n00by in CiviCRM. 

Apart from above WordPress experience, I write code in Coldfusion for mobile and web, test social media integration and monitoring tools and follow the technology news sites. 
When I am not in front of a computer or reading on my mobile phone, I play a mean tennis game, watch almost every movie, enjoy traveling, and take photographs and post them on Instagram

I am very happy that this CoP has been initiated and I want to thank all who stepped up to the plate and said let's do this!

Hope to jump into a few conversations and answer questions

Birgit Pauli-Haack
NFN4Good Program mananger @nfn4good
Find me on twitter @bph 
Naples FL

10.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jul 03, 2014 16:41
I started doing websites because a couple of my university clubs needed one. After I started working with my current org, I started taking on website editing without a CMS. Now I am transitioning our website to Wordpress.

Marlina McKay
Manager of IT
Park Pride
Atlanta GA

11.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jul 21, 2014 15:24
Hi everyone,

I'm Chrissy Rey, owner and developer at Pongos Interactive. I learned how to make really awesome web pages, full of insanely large images, blinking text, and all of that other crazy stuff as a college student in the mid-90s. After I graduated with a degree in zoology, and found my first job in the field to be incredibly depressing, I decided to switch over to web development. Back then we were called WEB MASTERS! Yeah! I picked up Flash, before it was cool, and did quite a bit with it until Steve Jobs decided it really wasn't cool. I started using WordPress in 2008 to fill in the gaps, and keep Pongos (which at the time, was just me) busy. Since then, the company has grown, and we have built WordPress sites for a variety of clients, but mostly non-profits and associations.

And I still get to use Flash from time to time to build stuff like this:

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-vs-zombies/dap-120000000212062

Chrissy Rey
Owner/Developer
Pongos Interactive
College Park MD

12.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jul 24, 2014 14:05
Hey everyone, I am Julius based in Jackson, MS.  

I found interest in webpage development as a senior in college as I worked on my computer science degree. At that time, I used tables and tons of HTML code to create my webpages. About 6 years ago I started hearing the CMS term, so I decided to research it and gradually worked my way into WordPress. 

Since using WordPress for small clients, I have become addicted to the simple interface. With much effort, I have tried to learn Drupal as my employer's website has been built on Drupal. Unfortunately, I realized that WordPress is much simpler and make sense to me.

Glad to know that this group was created after our meeting back in DC back in March. 

I am not a pro at all and really want to learn more from everyone in this group.   Hope that we can exchange ideas and learn from one another.  In fact, I would like to know what resources do people use to keep current on WordPress development, plugins, etc.

YAAAY I am excited! :)

Julius Rainey Jr
Information Technology Director
Parents for Public Schools, National Office
Jackson MS

13.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jul 31, 2014 09:24
Hello WP CoPers!

Like several of you, I started building websites in the late '90s and was, too, called a 'webmaster' and awkwardly called by some a 'webmistress'. :) I started working at Primedia/About.com in the early 2000's, which is where I had my first experience with open source CMSs, and have been hooked ever since. In 2006 I started working for a nonprofit that was using Lotus for everything including their website. After much conversation, I convinced management to switch to Drupal. I left in '09 and started playing around with WordPress, which I personally found much easier from an administrative standpoint and not nearly as limiting as people would have me believe (it's so much more than a 'blogging tool'). By 2010, my former coworker and I started Green Bee, using only WordPress, and we've built some pretty nifty sites with the platform so far. 

I should also mention that in 2007 I attended the NTC and I met my now husband there! So I've been familiar with NTEN for a long time, but am just now back into it and coming to it from the consulting side. I'm so looking forward to NTC '15. It'll be a reunion!

Rachel Murray
Partner
Green Bee Web Consulting
Boston MA

14.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Apr 03, 2015 17:05

I just noticed: WE'VE REACHED 100 MEMBERS!!

*insert party favor noises here*

If you're a new(ish) member, or you've been meaning to introduce yourself, we would love to meet you.

Tell us who you are, what brought you to the WordPress CoP, and what you'd like to get from your membership in this group.

Happy weekend!
Yesenia

------------------------------
Yesenia Sotelo
I build smart nonprofit websites.
SmartCause Digital
@silverbell

15.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Apr 03, 2015 19:43

That's AMAZING!  Thanks for pointing that out, Yesenia. 

Party cat blowing on a party favor

(Really, did you expect anything else from me?  lol)

Cindy Leonard
Consulting Team Leader
Pittsburgh PA

16.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Apr 06, 2015 14:46

Ahhh! Love that cat animated gif! I'll add:

CONGRATULATIONS, WORDPRESS COMMUNITY OF PRACTICE! 

I'm looking forward to reading more intros!

Bethany Lister
Community Program Coordinator
Nonprofit Technology Network
bethany@nten.org

17.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Apr 06, 2015 16:43
LOVE the cat gifs! I'm Melissa and in addition to the job listed in my signature, I run my own nonprofit, Advocates for Snake Preservation. We are very small (two volunteers!), so one of my many duties is managing our website, which is wordpress. I loved wordpress day at #15NTC, so I figured I should join this group to keep learning.

Melissa Amarello
Communications Associate, Center for Biological Diversity

Co-founder, Advocates for Snake Preservation
Tucson AZ

18.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Apr 07, 2015 10:36
Welcome!  We look forward to getting to know you.  :)

Cindy Leonard
Consulting Team Leader
Pittsburgh PA

19.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted May 01, 2015 17:12

Hi all!

Quick intro. I'm Dan, the new developer at NTEN. I've been a WordPresser for many years, much of it as part of nonprofit work. 

Here's a bunch more about me:
My NTEN Interview

Looking forward to being a part of this community and learning great stuff!

-dan

Daniel Fellini
Web Developer
Portland OR

20.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted May 01, 2015 19:22
Welcome aboard Dan!

venky nalluri
KNS Technologies corporation
stone ridge VA

21.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted May 01, 2015 21:14
Thanks Venky!

Daniel Fellini
Web Developer
Portland OR

22.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted May 02, 2015 12:33

Welcome!  And congratulations on your new position with NTEN!

Cindy

Cindy Leonard
Consulting Team Leader
Pittsburgh PA

23.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted May 02, 2015 22:20
Thanks Cindy!

Daniel Fellini
Web Developer
Portland OR

24.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Sep 25, 2015 12:41
Edited by Patsy Gillispie Sep 25, 2015 13:17

Hi I'm Patsy. I was a part of NTEN many years back when I was with a organization called NPowerTexas and have signed back up again on my own. I have been involved in web technologies now for 20 years. My background is in web design and development focusing on the non-profit sector. I utilize open source technologies and really work to empower non-profits to control their destiny by learning the skills they need to maintain their website.  I've worked with manyy organizations, primarily in Texas and have recently moved to Oklahoma City.

My expertise lies in consulting and planning as it relates to design and development projects utilizing WordPress. I've got an excellent eye for design and I seem to have a knack for being able to interpret what an organization needs and wants and producing some awesome websites (gotta toot my own horn). So my strength lies in the front-end planning stages. However, I can code and design when I need to so I'm pretty well versed in WordPress.

I have a team that does great designs (award winning actually), WordPress development, SEO, social media management and digital marketing as a whole. You could say we are a pretty well rounded bunch. So I'm here to help where I can and get involved. I'm looking to learn more and connect with others.

Great to be here and to be a part of NTEN again.

Patsy Gillispie
Primary Contact
GGC Digital
Oklahoma City OK

25.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Sep 25, 2015 12:45
Welcome to the community!  I look forward to your posts, thoughts and ideas.  :)

Cindy

Cindy Leonard, Consulting Team Leader
Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management at Robert Morris University, 
339 Sixth Ave, Ste 750, Pgh, PA 15222
p 412-397-6007 | f 412-397-6016 | leonard@rmu.edu | www.bcnm-rmu.org

26.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jan 18, 2016 13:47

I'm a communications consultant for nonprofit organizations, not a techie, but I do my blogging on WordPress and help my wife do hers as well. Yesenia Sotelo mentioned this community of practice on Progressive Exchange and I thought I'd check it out. (It didn't hurt that the organizer lives in my hometown of Pittsburgh, PA!) I'll probably mostly lurk here and benefit from your collective wisdom.

Dennis Fischman
Communicate! Consulting
http://www.dennisfischman.com

27.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jan 18, 2016 13:57
Dennis, welcome to the group!  I love that you're a fellow Yinzer.  :)

Please feel free to post questions to the group anytime.  No question is too basic or too complicated - we all help each other!

Cindy

28.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Feb 15, 2016 12:14

Been a software developer for over 20 years.  Started working on WordPress when building the website for the corporate cricket league.  Very much impressed by the intuitive development interface and workflow.  The best thing is able to change the themes on the fly and also preview it.  Went on to build a few more, but actively manage the one for Florida Corporate Cricket League.

http://flaccl.wordpress.com

Chummar Maly

29.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Feb 15, 2016 12:41
Welcome to the CoP, Chummar!  Please feel free to ask questions, share interesting articles on WP, etc., just make yourself at home.  :)

Cindy

30.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Feb 16, 2016 17:07
Welcome Chummar!

I just spent a bunch of time reading about cricket. A whole new world has just opened up.

--
Bethany Lister
Community Program Manager
NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network
http://nten.org | @NTENorg
503-272-8733

It takes a community to raise a nonprofit! Participate in the 2016 NTEN Community Challenge and help us raise $25,000 and support nonprofits using technology to fulfill their missions.

31.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Feb 16, 2016 17:12

Chummar, 

Welcome to WP CoP!

Good to find cricket lover in the group. Usually, when I say cricket...it's crickets!! :)

Amar

Amar Trivedi

32.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Feb 16, 2016 17:21

Welcome Chummar! 

And Greetings from Florida! Coincidently, I  was involved in creating a website for a Cricket team in Sarasota. The Sarasota International Cricket Club is my husband's team of choice and we helped them set-up their website on WordPress. My husband is the only German on the very international team there. I wager a bet that my husband is probably the only German who plays cricket... haha. And of course, I learned a great deal about cricket in the last six or seven years... 

Glad you are here! 

Birgit Pauli-Haack
Co-organizer Tech4Good SWFL
501TechClub in Naples FL
text/call 239-595-3882
Twitter: @bph

33.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Feb 17, 2016 13:42

Hi folks,

Sorry but my introduction is a bit overdue..

I've been developing websites since '98 and the first nonprofit I worked with was for my high school.

When I first came across WordPress, I didn't put enough faith in the direction of the community, but that's changed in the past 5 years and it's a fantastic platform.

Although I no longer build websites, I get to recommend WP to my nonprofit clients and help them along with reaching their goals.

Mike Kim
iATS Payments
Vancouver BC

34.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Feb 17, 2016 13:46
Hi Mike!  Welcome to the group - better late than never, I always say!  I believe there's a number of fellow Vancouver residents on the forum, so you're in good company.  

Actually, you're in good company regardless. WP folks are pretty awesome in general.  :)

Cindy

35.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jun 14, 2016 07:41

Hi Everyone! 

I am a total web geek and animal lover based out of NJ. I fell into web design after a bad experience with my own website I paid someone to develop for me and realized I could do it better! Well, I did - I sold that website and began doing web development - yep, you never know where life will take you. That was 15 years ago - and 10 years ago I went official and started my business 2 Dogs Media (your best friend on the web)! 

We solely focus on Wordpress design and development - and local/organic SEO. Over the years as we have grown we started to place more focus on the nonprofit community and LOVE LOVE LOVE working with our nonprofit clients so we do hope to fully transition into nonprofit only in the near future. 

I have been snooping around here a little bit before introducing myself and am looking forward to being a part of the group!

Jill Caren

Jill Caren
2 Dogs Media, LLC
jill@2dogsdesign.com

36.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jun 14, 2016 14:32

Welcome to the group, Jill! 

Re: Your company name: Any dog pics to share? ;)

Bethany Lister
Community Program Manager
bethany@nten.org

37.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jun 15, 2016 06:15

LOL! Hi Bethany - and of course I do! This is Ginger and Riley.....Riley passed last August just after her 14th birthday and Ginger - her sister passed this past March at 14.5. It has been rough losing them both so close together, but they had happy healthy lives. Looking forward to adopting 1 or 2 new family members after our vacation in July....I am a big pit bull advocate and work with several local rescues to help them in a variety of ways......just a total animal lover! 

Jill Caren
2 Dogs Media, LLC
jill@2dogsdesign.com

38.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jul 07, 2016 16:05

Hi, new member here!

I'm Andy. I worked in the nonprofit world for over a decade, and I just went off on my own to start doing WordPress consulting. My desire to serve nonprofits still burns brightly, and so my goal is to build my company into something that serves the technology needs of nonprofits and service organizations.

I'm starting from the ground up, so I'm here to listen, learn, and help wherever I can. My background is in front-end WordPress development as well as overall online marketing and communications.

I've previously been an NTEN member and active in the NPTech scene, but my activity lapsed for a couple of years. It's great to be back in the mix, and I look forward to meeting you!

Andy

Andy Stitt
Founder and WordPress Consultant
Deliberate Media Solutions
http://deliberatemediasolutions.com

39.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jul 07, 2016 16:18

Welcome, Andy!

It's SUCH a small world online (and elsewhere). I'm a WordPress designer who provides digital strategy as well, and I work with the Genesis framework, so I kind of know of you from that world (seeing you on the hashtag on Twitter, etc.). 

This is a great group with some interesting questions / discussions, so please do jump in. Also, website questions (site architecture, security, content strategy, etc.) do come up occasionally, so we welcome your expertise there!

Looking forward to getting to your responses here! 

Sandee :)  

Sandee Jackson
NTEN, Digital Communications CoP Co-Organizer
29:11 Creative, Web Designer / Digital Strategist
Charleston, SC

40.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jul 08, 2016 10:01
I echo everything Sandee just said - thanks for finding us, Andy!  Please feel free to post questions, ideas, resources related to WordPress.  We have a wide variety of skill levels in this group, so nothing is too complicated or too simple.  :)

Cindy

41.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Jul 08, 2016 13:43

Thank you Cindy and Sandee! Wow, it certainly is a small world online. Happy to be here and looking forward to contributing!

Andy Stitt
Founder and WordPress Consultant
Deliberate Media Solutions
http://deliberatemediasolutions.com

42.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Aug 19, 2016 01:05

Hi WordPressers!

Looking forward to some active discussion around WordPress for Nonprofits! 

My name is Nate, I work for a small agency that works with a few dozen nonprofits using WordPress. We often implement WordPress + a CRM platform like CiviCRM or UkuuPeople. We are also huge fans of the WordPress Give plugin!

I work at our Denver office. We also have an office in New York. I love meeting new people and regularly speak at WordCamps including the inaugural WordPress day at the Nonprofit Technology Conference. 

How do you use WordPress in your nonprofit?

P.S. Some helpful resource for WordPress and Nonprofits

Nathan Porter
President
Wanna Pixel Inc.
Denver, CO

43.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Aug 19, 2016 10:22
Welcome to the group, Nathan!  I love the name of your company...very fun!

Please feel free to post WP questions, resources, etc., anytime. 

Cindy

It's time for TechNow! Register today to receive Early Bird rates! www.technowconference.org

44.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Aug 19, 2016 13:28

Hello everyone,

I'm happy to be a part of this community and use resources from our team to add value. I attended my first NTC this past year and I'm excited to be attending NTC in Washington DC!

My name is Dennis Powers. I work for Cheeky Monkey Media. We're a team of creative minds and technical muscle helping our partners create, execute, and deliver amazing digital experiences. We help clients in all aspects of their digital marketing adventure including designing and building WordPress sites.

I have been consulting with clients around marketing, web development and media production for over 25 years. My strengths include listening and understanding the challenges an organization is struggling with, and connecting them to the appropriate creative and technology experts to solve that challenge.

I'm looking forward to listening to the conversations happening here and helping where I can.

Best

Dennis Powers
Business Developer
Cheeky Monkey Media

45.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Aug 19, 2016 13:59
Welcome to the group, Dennis!  I remember seeing Cheeky Monkey at the NTC exhibit hall last year (or am I imagining that??)  

Please feel free to post questions or resources anytime. 

Cindy

It's time for TechNow! Register today to receive Early Bird rates! www.technowconference.org

46.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Sep 13, 2016 13:52

Hi everyone,

I've been a member of NTEN for a few years now, but just now getting into the forums and communities.

I began working with WordPress about 6 years ago when I took on a marketing role at a nonprofit community organization. That marketing role quickly turned into digital marketing, and after a few years of learning in that position I left to start my own digital marketing agency in 2013.

Our main focus is in Google AdWords and Grants, but this of course connects through to websites and analytics. WordPress is our go to platform for our clients.

Look forward to connecting more with each of you.

Mark

Mark Hallman
President
Evergreen Digital Marketing
Kitchener, ON Canada

47.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Sep 13, 2016 14:09
Welcome, Mark!  I hope you enjoy the community here.  We look forward to your contributions.

I'm a little curious now about how many consultants on this board started out as web developers working at nonprofits?  (I'm on that list myself, though I still technically work for a nonprofit, even if we provide B2B type services.)  

Cindy

48.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Sep 14, 2016 11:24

Hi Cindy,

Yes! We were at the exhibit hall last year. It was the first time we attended the conference and we had a booth on the exhibition floor. We didn't know what to expect, but we had a blast and met a ton of great people. Excited to be attending again this year!

Dennis

Dennis Powers
Business Developer
Cheeky Monkey Media

49.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Oct 11, 2016 14:18

Hello,

Since I have asked several questions to the group I thought it was time for me to introduce myself.  I'm Kim Hearn, I work as the Technology Manager for Icing Smiles, and am an accidental techie.  My background is in Supply Chain Management, including a number of years working for a supply chain software firm implementing software and later as a product manager.  I started in the nonprofit world to help implement a software solution for Icing Smiles.  Since then my role has evolved to managing all of our software solutions, which are all cloud-based since we are a virtual organization.

A little over a year ago I inherited our old, out-of-date Drupal website which had been hacked multiple times.  Since we had some people internally with WordPress knowledge (and no one with Drupal knowledge) we decided to move over to WordPress.  It's been quite a learning curve for me but I'm quite pleased with the ease of use.  I appreciate all the help and knowledge that this group provides!

If any of you will be at WordCamp US in Philadelphia I will be volunteering there since I live close by, let me know, would love to meet you in person!

Kim Hearn
Technology Manager
Icing Smiles

50.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Oct 11, 2016 14:22
Welcome to the group, Kim!  We look forward to your continued contributions and throughts.

It's also nice to meet another Pennsylvanian!  (I'm on the other side of the state in Pgh.)

Cindy

51.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Oct 13, 2016 11:14

Hi! I'm Rachel Goldfarb, and I'm the senior communications associate at Breakthrough, an organization fighting to end the culture of gender-based violence using technology, storytelling, and student organizing. I've been working with Wordpress in some capacity since some internships in college, but Breakthrough is really the first place where I've had full control of the site, and I've learned a lot about Wordpress in the fourteen months I've been working here. This is the first time I've gotten to play with customizing my own theme in any way, with making decisions about plugins that we can use, etc. My colleagues see me as an expert, but I know that I'm still on the beginner end of the curve, and look forward to learning from all of you!

Rachel Goldfarb
Senior Communications Associate
Breakthrough
New York, NY

52.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Oct 13, 2016 11:17
Welcome, Rachel!  You'll find people at all levels of the user and/or developer spectrum in this group, so feel free to ask questions, share your insights and resources.  I look forward to your contributions to the group!

Cindy

53.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Oct 13, 2016 12:07
Hi Rachel,

Don't feel bashful about asking for help or suggesting plugins or other solutions you find. The reality of the Wordpress world is that the available resources are vast. Even the most deeply entrenched developers (some of whom hang out in this group!!) can't know all the possibilities that are out there. 

54.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Mar 21, 2017 17:15
I'm currently managing a Drupal site while we are working on building the new version of the site in Wordpress (Promoting Noninvasive Plants for California | PlantRight). We had a web developer who left us with kind of a mess, and we have a fantastic web designer who has mostly front end experience but is working on back end things and helping us clean up the mess our developer left us. We have three different user types and some complicated processes on our site including volunteers submitting survey data and nursery retailers inviting their staff to go through a training and pass a quiz for them to become a nursery partner. 

Stephanie Falzone
Project Manager/PlantRight
Sustainable Conservation
San Francisco, CA

55.  RE: New members - please introduce yourself here!

Posted Mar 21, 2017 17:18