Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 2 days ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices.
This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Meeting: This group typically has a monthly community call on the fourth Wednesday at 1pm PT
Collaborative notes and community call-in information: http://bit.ly/npITnotes
Short link: http://community.nten.org/tech-decision-makers

1.  Office 365

Posted 5 days ago
Hi,

We currently have a windows server and are also using google docs.  We want to move completely to the clouds.  Google doesn't seem, by itself, to be the answer and I'm curious to hear people's experience with Office 365.  We would likely continue to use gmail and google calendar.  Cost is a big consideration so it seems like Dropbox is out for that reason.  My understanding is that Microsoft's donation to nonprofits will make Office 365 either free of a minimal fee.

I wondered if anyone out there would be up for a phone call about Office 365.  I'd love to know your experience with it. How the migration went.  If you can collaborate live with others and if they have to be also have Office 365 to do so.  How the file structure can be set up for an organization.  How much storage space is available.  And anything else you have to say about it.

Feel free to respond here as well.

Thank you so much

Lindy Walsh
Community Cycling Center
503 314,4390
lindy@communitycyclingncenter.org

------------------------------
Lindy Walsh
Director
Community Cycling Center
Portland, OR

2.  RE: Office 365

Posted 5 days ago

Looking to do pretty much the same thing here.  And yes – MS gives most of it way if 100% cloud – there is a nominal fee per/user for having the software loaded on the actual computer vs. using the browser-based versions.

Effective March 31, 2017 – RAP Foundation mailing address has changed:

41-550 Eclectic St., Palm Desert, CA 92260

To schedule a meeting or phone call – click HERE

Stuart F. McClain, MBA, CPA(inactive), CITP

Controller

General Phone: (760) 674-9992 ext. 101

Direct Dial: (760) 469-4371

Banner1

AmazonSmile-RAP-SmallIE Capaciteria

3.  RE: Office 365

Posted 4 days ago
I'd be up to joining the Wednesday call to talk about this if anyone can make it.  I'm assuming it is next Wednesday?

It'd be really helpful to hear about other people's experience.  Sounds like it would be a good fit for us, all things considered.  I'm curious to know more about the costs and how much storage capacity there is.

Thanks.

--
Lindy Walsh
Director of Finance and Administration
Pronouns:  She/Her

Community Cycling Center
Office:  503.288.8864
Bike Shop: 1700 NE Alberta - Hours: Open every day, 10am-6pm.  503.287.8786

Celebrate National Bike Month in May; join Team Tailwind! Team Tailwind is our crew of monthly donors who support the Community Cycling Center's transformative work. Sign up today and win cool prizes!

4.  RE: Office 365

Posted 5 days ago
I admit we are still on Exchange, and are weighing 365 vs Google. I'd love to join a call about this as well!

Miriam Savad
Director of Data and Technology
Center for Community Change

5.  RE: Office 365

Posted 4 days ago

We migrated to O365 a couple years back and I'm happy to talk about our experience. We had a SBS 2008 server and while we still have local servers, we're using a lot more of O365.

Thanks,

Michael

6.  RE: Office 365

Posted 4 days ago

I realize I left off my signature. If there's a bunch of people interested, let me know and I'll circulate a doodle.

Thanks,

Michael Hofrichter, Esq. | Director of Compliance and Operations | Staff Attorney

Houston Volunteer Lawyers  | 1111 Bagby, Suite FLB 300 | Houston, Texas 77002 | 713.275.0147

www.MakeJusticeHappen.org

facebooktwitter-bird-blue-on-white

7.  RE: Office 365

Posted 4 days ago
We love really like O365, we've been on it a couple of years and in fact have helped a bunch of smaller agencies migrate to it (doing another this Friday in fact). You can definitely collaborate in docs like in Gdocs using the online version of the Word/Excel/PPT, , even if the other party doesn't have O365.  You definitely need to desktop versions of those apps, but you can buy them once for $27/seat for 2016 on TechSoup and then use the O365 "E1" license that's free for nonprofits and not have to pay a monthly fee.  For $4.50/user/month more, you can get E3 to get lots of encryption features and some pretty robust mobile device management, plus a bunch of other products.

Definitely decide Google vs O365, then stick with one (you can tell which one I prefer).  Mixing them up can be confusing / painful.

I'm happy to join a call if I can cram it into my schedule, but wonder if this wouldn't a great topic for the last-Weds-monthly-4PM-EST Technology Decision Makers call.

Enjoy!

Tom Anderson
Founder
IT4 Causes
Midlothian, VA

8.  RE: Office 365

Posted 4 days ago
we migrated to O365 3 years ago and its been a very positive move for our organization. The collaboration tools are excellent. Check this article out as well;

Moving Your IT Infrastructure Into the Cloud: Lessons From the Field - Idealware

Dan Dwyer
Director IT
CFHI
Ottawa, ON

9.  RE: Office 365

Posted 3 days ago

I think it would be great to have at least 1hr call just focused on Google v MS, as well as shortfalls especially of each -

Effective March 31, 2017 – RAP Foundation mailing address has changed:

41-550 Eclectic St., Palm Desert, CA 92260

To schedule a meeting or phone call – click HERE

Stuart F. McClain, MBA, CPA(inactive), CITP

Controller

General Phone: (760) 674-9992 ext. 101

Direct Dial: (760) 469-4371

Banner1

AmazonSmile-RAP-SmallIE Capaciteria

10.  RE: Office 365

Posted 3 days ago
I'd be interested in participating as well. We made the jump to 365 last year and I'd love to hear if/how smaller orgs are leveraging Azure and Sharepoint.

Emilio Arocho
Director, Technology and Digital Strategy
Food and Drug Law Institute

11.  RE: Office 365

Posted an hour ago
I'll add an Office 365 discussion to THIS WEDNESDAY's Tech Decision Maker call. Invitations will go out shortly, but join us at 3:00pm Central by calling in at 866-853-1888.

(You're an IT person, you figure out your own time zone :) )

Richard Wollenberger
Director, Information Technology & HIPAA Compliance and Security Officer
Parents as Teachers
St. Louis MO