Discuss

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Membership Systems

• 1.  Membership Systems

Posted Apr 18, 2019 16:04
    Good Afternoon,

I work with a faith-based community organizing network centrally located in D.C. but with anchor offices on the west coast. Our core grassroots organizing takes shape as leadership development through churches, temples, synagogues, mosques, etc. We're now looking into individual membership opportunities for our supporters, especially in areas where there is no local affiliate or individuals who want to engage with our work but have no involvement with a faith institution.

I have a few questions about the membership model:
    What type of systems are you using to track individual membership?
    What are your best practices or recommendations for creating community or sense of belonging with the members
    What type of membership "swag" are you providing to your supporters?  Stickers, button, membership cards, inside track newsletters, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Felicia

------------------------------
    Felicia Yoda
    Director of Information Systems & Technology
    Faith in Action
    Washington, DC
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Membership Systems

Posted Apr 23, 2019 15:43
    Hi @Felicia Yoda!

My organization does not have a ton of experience with membership organizations but we have a partner who does, OpenTent. With their exposure to community builders like Faith in Action, I am sure they can provide some insight on membership models, systems, and practices for creating community. If you are interested just let me know and I would be more than happy to facilitate a connection.

Good luck and have a great day!
    Josh

Joshua Aranda
    Managing Partner
    Mission Matters Group
    Wildwood, MO

• 3.  RE: Membership Systems

Posted Apr 24, 2019 10:02
    Hi Felicia, my company, SmartThoughts, has worked with hundreds of membership focused nonprofits in addressing similar questions. Primarily, we help them with assessing & selecting their membership and community system needs. From those experiences, I can share what many use/have used and how they have accomplished what you intend or hope to do.

Suffice it to say, their are a lot of different paths which may be suited for your situation and needs, So, it may be good to talk through it with someone so you don't waste a lot of time on the effort. There is a lot to go through and discuss for sure.

BTW, we have a lot of free resources on our website including membership software lists, membership software reports/analysis, & insights on making software decisions that also may be of help in addressing your questions.

If interested, I would be happy to visit with you offline to discuss your situation and determine if I may help lead you on the right path. Or, help you find another human resource that fits. 

Schedule A Call
    here. Wish you much success! Chad

Chad Stewart
    SmartThoughts
    www.smartthoughts.net
    chad@smartthoughts.net