#19NTC

last person joined: an hour ago 

This is the community forum for 2019 Nonprofit Technology Conference (#19NTC) registrants. Use this group ask and answer questions, talk about the sessions that you're presenting or that you're excited to attend, and find other attendees to connect with before or during the conference.

👋 Introductions! 👋

• 1.  👋 Introductions! 👋

STAFF
    Posted Dec 03, 2018 18:04
    Edited by Tristan Penn Dec 07, 2018 19:00

Welcome, all!

Let's use this thread to get to know our fellow 19NTC attendees. Regardless of if you're a long-time NTEN member and have attended every NTC, or you're brand new to the community and haven't yet experienced the NTC magic, we'd love to hear from you!

Here are some prompts to help us get started - With my answers ;) 

• What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? - Tech! I work for NTEN!
    • Recent win - I recently made the switch to NTEN from Youth Development and I'm learning A LOT.
    • Something you can offer or something you need - I can offer up help/direction/suggestions with all things related to Portland while you're attending NTC. I've lived here for 4.5 years and I am always finding new places to visit. Such a great city!
    • Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world - 

Looking forward to seeing you all at NTC!

Please stop me and say "Hi!" I look a lot like my Bitmoji below!

------------------------------
    Tristan Penn (pronouns: he/him)
    Community Engagement Manager, NTEN
    503-272-8761
    tristan@nten.org
    nten.org | @NTENorg

• 2.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 04, 2018 12:26
    Hi everyone. I'm Kirk. This will be my first NTC.

What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? Starfleet. I mean... Data! No, not that one. The other one. I am in analytics, data management, and direct response.

Recent win: We recently ran a DM test that gave us a lot more information about how our donors respond to particular stories. It may seem mundane, but it will inform so much future fundraising strategy.

Something you can offer or something you need: Always happy to offer help with math and anything RE.

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your worldHm, is the gif animated or the animal... let's go with both...
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky
    Also - anyone up for some board games at NTC? I intend to bring a few small ones for the fellow introverts who socialize best with cards and/or dice.

Kirk Schmidt
    Director, Foundation Analytics, Systems, and Operations
    STARS
    Calgary, AB

• 3.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 04, 2018 13:56
    Hi everyone!

I'm so excited for 19NTC to be here in Portland where the NTEN office is - we have SO much to show you about our town :)

What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? I love working in a capacity building, community supporting role and organization. I know that a rising tide lifts all ships and the NTEN community is invested in sharing and learning together. It's an amazing place!

Recent win: I'm saying this here so that it becomes a win (crossing every finger and toe!!!). This week we are testing a "no nap" reality with our toddler who has never excelled at sleeping though does excel at many other things. It feels like the right decision for him but we are so scared to not get an hour of free time to mindlessly check our phones and eat lunch every day. Send me your good vibes and toddler stories!

Something you can offer or something you need: If I have the experience, knowledge, skills, or connections that can help you, I am ALWAYS happy to share. Topics that may be relevant: nonprofit technology strategy and planning, community engagement, social media, parenting a toddler, enjoying food with many food allergies, and bikes.

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your worldI mean...

@Kirk Schmidt, thanks for your notes about board games! There are many places in town where you'll find lots of great board games available for playing (many restaurants and bars have them) or for purchase (reminder, OR has no sales tax!). Check back on the website next week (or I'll remember to send you a message!) for a few things: Birds of a Feather tables which happen during lunches and the brunch on the last day, Dine Arounds which are evening group meals, and community events which can truly be anything organized by the community outside of the specific NTC agenda items. You'll be able to sign up for any of those items on the website and host a table to play board games together with fellow board game enthusiasts at the conference!

Amy

Amy Sample Ward (pronouns: she/her)
    CEO, NTEN
    Portland, OR
    amy@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg

• 4.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 05, 2018 10:41
    Greetings everyone!

This is not my first NTC but I have been out of pocket (traveling the world) for a couple of years. To those who are NTC virgins, this is the BEST conference! A couple of tips...
    * Pay attention to social media, being a tech conference folks are engaged and it is the best way to meet people
    * No matter how late you are out the night before, wake up and go to the morning general session - Amy brings it and the presentations are always great!
    * Collect buttons
    * Make time to cruise the exhibit hall at least three times!

And now....

What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? Been thinking a lot about that recently as I am between careers. Maybe either yoga instructor or astronaut.

Recent win: Secured tickets to a special Winter Solstice event at Stonehenge!

Something you can offer or something you need: I can offer 20++ years of nonprofit knowledge and career advice (this I do for free). I need help understanding gifs (had to look it up for next question, hope it works!).

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world https://media.giphy.com/media/1ke5E84BQ4MUM/giphy.gif

Mary Beth

Mary Beth Harrington, CVAPassionate Nonprofit Expert

mbharrington@nonprofitpassion.com
    972-839-9960 (cell)

• 5.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 05, 2018 11:20

• What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? I work at a Tech Nonprofit called Next Century Cities. We help cities, towns, and counties ensure that all have access to fast, affordable, reliable broadband.
    • Recent win - I had the opportunity to speak at an event in the Arctic Circle - it was amazing.
    • Something you can offer or something you need - Having been in this space for a long time, I'm happy to support new leaders. I am also on the Board of Directors for NTEN! 
    • Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world - Finding solutions involves breaking the rules!  https://gph.is/1U61LZc
    Deb Socia
    Executive Director
    Next Century Cities

• 6.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 05, 2018 14:05
    My name is Beth Kanter  and I have been working in the nonprofit tech field a long time and a NTEN board member.  The 2019 NTC will be my 20th consecutive one!

What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in?  

I'm a trainer, author, and speaker.  I work on leadership development, organizational culture, and digital strategy.

Recent win:  My recent book is the Happy Healthy Nonprofit about wellbeing in the nonprofit workplace made the "Best Nonprofit Books of all Time List" (#9)

Something you can offer or something you need:   Always delighted to connect with other nonprofit professionals and talk shop, career, and life.  I co-lead the annual NTC walk with Gina Schmeling - so if you're up for a walking break, come join us. 

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world Not sure ELMO is an animal, perhaps.  But this recent blog post speaks to stuff that I like to geek out on as a trainer and a topic in an NTC session I'm doing.

download.jpeg

• 7.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 18, 2018 15:30
    Hi everyone!

This will be my 7th NTEN in a row, and I am looking forward to seeing my NPTech friends and make new ones! 💕 🍶 🥂 🤗

I am web developer and community organizer, a co-organizer of Tech4good SWFL (netsquared/NTEN affiliated), co-organizer WordPress Meetup SWFL and Deputy on the Global Community Team of WordPress. As my day job, I run Pauli Systems, a web development company. We help nonprofits connect with their supporters online. We use open-source software mostly WordPress and CiviCRM

Recent win: 
    Co-organizing WordCamp US, the signature event for WordPress w/ 1800 attendees and 50+ Sponsors.

Something you can offer or something you need
    Asked me anything about Gutenberg, the new block editor for WordPress. I am the publisher/curator of Gutenberg Times. I have been curating news, tutorials and documentation on Gutenberg since June 2017.

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world It never stops in my world:-)

Birgit Pauli-Haack
    Co-organizer Tech4Good SWFL
    NTEN Nonprofit TechClub in Naples FL
    text/call 239-595-3882
    NPTechProjects
    Join our WP4Good Club
    Twitter: @bph

• 8.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted 5 days ago

• What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? - I'm currently in Development (Fundraising) Operations.  Looking to move further away from fundraising and more towards Operations
    • Recent win -
      • Personal: I finally got off my behind and am working towards my PMI certification after thinking and talking about it for a very very long time.
      • Professional: Seeing my employee thrive and taking ownership of the web builds and tech support for our main Peer to Peer fundraising program, Sleep Out.
    • Something you can offer or something you need
      • Need: A peer mentor for someone else who is in my role, Director, of Web Properties who is managing multiple vendors/departments.  I'm trying to navigate different vendors, departments and their roles and mine to define who is responsible for what while also trying to learn what is necessary for my role.
    • Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world -jeCiOPKRQduKEK2czK9c_giphy.gif

Karin Rockwin
    Director, Website Properties
    Covenant House
    New York, NY

• 9.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 04, 2018 18:58
    Howdy,

My first NTC looking forward to coming South for the conference.

• What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? - I am in tech and information, but have also been annual and event fundraising.  Sector is small heath/community care. 
    • Recent win - Was looked at by my ED as we were working through the communications plan and she said, "You have done this before."
    • Something you can offer or something you need - Not sure, I like to talk through ideas and problems. I have been told I ask good questions. 
    • Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world - 

Jim Freer
    Sooke Family Resource Society
    Sooke, BC

• 10.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 04, 2018 19:37
    Edited by Chris Langford Dec 07, 2018 19:00
    • What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? - Tech, as well!  I run the IT department at the Oregon College of Oriental Medicine, a Chinese medicine school right here in Portland!
    • Recent win - Two new kittens in our household!  They are not killing each other (much), so I'll take that as a win. (see attached)

• Something you can offer or something you need - I have lived in Portland for nearly 40 years, so glad NTEN Conference is here this year!  I can recommend all kinds of crazy stuff; food, drink, activities, whatever you need (Powell's, anyone?).

Chris Langford
    Director of Information Systems and Technology
    Oregon College of Oriental Medicine
    Portland, OR

• 11.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 05, 2018 11:33
      |   view attached
    Hello Everyone.

My name is Scott Tywoniuk and I'm a Chartered Accountant from Edmonton, AB  CANADA. In my past life I was a DBA and have worked in numerous tech roles at software companies.  I went back to school at age 33 to become an accountant. In my current role - because of the size of our organization - I also wear the CIO hat from time to time.

- Accounting / Finance - I'm fortunate to be working with a great organization and get lots of variety - including tech.

Recent win - Our organization has a third party vendor that provides a variety of services for our members. There is data housed in their systems which we don't have access to - and have to rely on the third party vendor for all reporting. As a result there is no check and balance that can be performed on our side to confirm accuracy of reporting .  I've completed a one year data migration plan that will allow for our organization to directly administer its member plan data without reliance on an outside third party.   

Something you can offer or something you need - I'm a pretty creative person and try and look for win-win scenarios wherever possible. I've had people come to me a number of times and throw something out - and suggest its not do-able. I get my kicks in proving to them that it is. 

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world.  Thought this bear or dog one sums it up best. Seems like there is always someone out there that may try and stir things up - how you react to things is up to you.

Scott Tywoniuk
    Edmonton, AB

• 12.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 05, 2018 11:55
    • What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? I run the design, marketing and communications department for Texas Farmers' Market in Austin. I also work with other environmental and agricultural nonprofits on the side to help them use technology and design to more effectively tell their stories!
    • Recent win: Texas Farmers' Market runs the Austin Fermentation Festival and we recently held our most successful event to date, with over 7,500 attendees visiting the free festival, while raising $15,000 for sustainable farmers and ranchers in Central Texas.
    • Something you can offer or something you need: I grew up in Corvallis, but have not been back to Oregon in many years. I would love recommendations on best places to eat in town, especially the farm to table scene (duh, farmers' market person over here), cause I know things have definitely changed since I moved away 13+ years ago. Thank you!
    • Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world:

wIdnTTBSZGlwoNLd0HrA_tumblr_losvbtI2dY1qacl3yo1_500.gif

Nora Chovanec
    Director of Marketing and Agriculture
    Texas Farmers' Market
    Austin, TX

• 13.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 05, 2018 15:14
    Hi everyone.  I've been a member of NTEN for a number of years, but received my Nonprofit Technology Professional certification from NTEN earlier this year and will be attending my first NTC in March. Look forward to meeting you there!

• What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? - I work for the Scholarship Foundation of St. Louis so my focus as a technology professional is helping students!
    • Recent win - Launched Salesforce for my Student Advising team in September and it's "light years better" than the disparate set of tools they were using before.
    • Something you can offer or something you need - I've never been to Portland! I know time outside of the conference will be limited, but I would appreciate any tips to make the best of it while I'm there.  Like a trip to one of Portland's great microbreweries perhaps?

cats horses GIF

Rob Foley
    IT Director - The Scholarship Foundation of St. Louis

• 14.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 05, 2018 20:48
    Edited by Stephen Blyth Dec 07, 2018 19:00
    Kia ora. Greetings.
    I'm making the 11,000km journey up from Wellington, Aotearoa New Zealand to attend my third NTC. I'm in Portland for a week and hoping I can get out on a bike to hit the foodtrucks, Powells and a public house or two. 

communications role for a public health NGO

Recent win - 
    launch of new strategic directions for 2018-2022 with some fanfare -we commissioned an illustration to tell our story. Creating the illustration was a collaborative process and the team are really excited about what we've come up with - see https://nzdrug.org/strategy-18-22

Something you can offer or something you need - I run a lot of projects and am involved in finding people/ companies to partner with - I'm always keen to talk over wins, pitfalls and strategies for getting this right.

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world -
    Ponyo trying to blow out an electric lamp, which she thinks is a candle
    Ngā mihi / Good health
    Stephen

Stephen Blyth
    Communications Manager
    NZ Drug Foundation
    Wellington, Aotearoa New Zealand

• 15.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 06, 2018 17:59

Aloha everyone!

This will be my first NTC and first time in Portland. I'm excited for both and look forward to meeting you!

• What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? - Development business processes and systems capabilities for a conservation NGO
    • Recent win - We recently did a donor screening and have lots of info to play around with. Still in the process of uploading the data but I'm already drooling over all the cool stuff we'll be able to do with it. Yum!
    • Something you can offer or something you need - I appreciate any NTC conference tips posted here to help newbies like me make the most of it, and of course any hot tips about Portland are especially appreciated. Data's tasty but I love good local food and drink ideas, too. My Yelp bookmarks are growing as the conference gets closer!
    • Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world -  #ilovemonkeys #noregrets
    ​​​

Carrie Ginnane
    The Nature Conservancy
    Honolulu, HI

• 16.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 07, 2018 11:42
    Greetings!  I'm John and this will be my first NTC.

What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in?  I'm the Director of IT for a non-profit that was formed in 1882 (although its roots go back centuries).  The Capuchins run soup kitchens, food pantries, youth programs, rehabilitation facilities, housing and legal resources for the homeless and near homeless, etc.

Recent win - For me on a personal level, it is getting into the non-profit sector.  I am at my 1-year anniversary working for The Capuchins, prior to which I spent the previous decade+ working in a ~400,000 person Fortune 500 firm.  Working in the non-profit sector is SO much more rewarding and I am loving it!

Something you can offer or something you need - Technology is my forte, but there are unique challenges in bringing a non-profit organization into the 21st century from a technological perspective, so I am interested in hearing from others who have faced those challenges.  I saw Amy listed "nonprofit technology strategy and planning" in her something to offer, so I may be tracking you down at the conference!  :-)

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world:

John Parker
    Director of IT
    Province of St. Joseph of the Capuchin Order
    Detroit, MI

• 17.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 07, 2018 12:03
    Hi All!

My name is Hallie (pronounced like Hayley) and this will be my first NTC! It will also be my first time in Portland, which has been a city at the top of my list for a long time, so I'm really excited!

• What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? I'm in development, specifically membership. I've wanted to work in development since college and it's certainly lived up to what I wanted so far!
    • Recent win - I got hired! I started my first full-time post-grad job at my organization in September. 
    • Something you can offer or something you need - Any tips about navigating NTC and any tips about things to do in Portland would be much appreciated! In terms of what I can offer - I can't say I have much in terms of work, but I do know a lot about Bigfoot, so if you're looking to learn more, I'm your girl! 
    • Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world - (the llamas are my members)
    the llamas are like my orgs members

Hallie Watts
    Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy
    San Francisco, CA

• 18.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 07, 2018 12:09
    Edited by Patrick O'Connell Dec 07, 2018 19:00
    This is my first NTEN conference and first time in Portland! I recently moved to Seattle from the Boston area, so I'm excited to see more of the west coast.

I'm a Marketing Director at a nonprofit that helps provide jobs to homeless and impoverished people in the Seattle area, and we have tons and tons of support services that go along with it (all for free). Things like meals, clothing, equipment, training, workshops, laundry, showers, transportation passes, career coaching, work permits, etc. My role is collecting all relevant information that comes in to our organization (or is said about the topics concerning our organization) and turning that back into external communication pieces to raise awareness and fundraising. I produce written appeal letters, social media posts, photography, graphics, video, printed marketing collateral, blog pieces, and press releases. I also take on special events and all the fun things that go along with it.
    Recent win: We had an annual Fall Fundraising Event (my first with the organization) that changed up the entire format of years past, and we managed to blow past our previous year goals and even surpass our pie-in-the-sky goal for this year. Just means next year's goal will be higher now (what have I gotten myself into?).
    Something you can offer or something you need: I can offer my newness to the nonprofit world; sometimes an outside view can prove valuable. What I need is to learn more tools to better gain an audience based on statistical probability. We have an aging donor base that doesn't seem to respond nearly as well to email or social media, and we need to continue growing our donor base. The question is what data can we use to increase donor base and donation size?
    Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world:

Patrick O'Connell
    Communications and Marketing Director
    The Millionair Club Charity
    Seattle, WA

• 19.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted 30 days ago
    Edited by Sara Veltkamp 30 days ago
    Hey Patrick! My colleague Joy Portella and I are also in Seattle and will be headed down to Portland for NTC in March. We work with groups serving people who are homeless in Seattle and would love to connect while down there. Or here! Welcome to the city and to NTEN!

Sara

Sara Veltkamp
    Seattle, WA

• 20.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted 4 days ago
    Hi Patrick & Sarah,

My coworker Amy & I will also be joining NTC from Seattle. We work for an affordable housing nonprofit & it'd be great to connect with you both in March!

-Claire

Claire Magula
    Communications and Grants Manager
    Bellwether Housing
    Seattle, WA

• 21.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 07, 2018 15:28

The intersection of global + fundraising + tech.

Recent win(s)
    Speaking at ConveyUX and Seattle Interactive: Design, UX/UI and Tech Conference on Oct 17+18, 2019 in Seattle this year! Woot!

Building custom fundraising apps. I'd love to to talk to others in this sector about the future of fundraising.

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world
    I just got one of these! Bernese Mountain dog. Love.
    Be back soon

Dave Hightower
    Sr UX Designer/Developer
    Global Impact
    Alexandria, VA

• 22.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 08, 2018 23:23
    Greetings from Denver!

This will be my first NTEN Conference, yay! I'm excited to be with so many like-minded people.

I'm a social entrepreneur and social justice geek 🤔. In other words, I use market-driven approaches to try to achieve social good.

A big part of my work is in access to justice. I work with non-profit law firms to develop technology make the legal system more accessible to low-income people.

Recent win(s)
    Built a tool to help people in Florida change their legal name. There have been over 5,000 forms filled out since we launched the tool in March.

Would love to know more about connecting with other social entrepreneurs in the NTEN network. I can help with technology strategy.

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world
    thumbnail image

Joseph Schieffer
    Founder and Chief Technology Officer
    A2J Tech Store

• 23.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 10, 2018 10:14
    This will be my first NTC and I'm looking forward to it!

What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in?: My origins were HRIS, which I still do, but it's expanded to other parts of the organization. Right now, I would say I'm IT-adjacent, kind of a "get in where I fit in" situation.

Recent win: We finally started using Adobe Sign so that we can sign documents electronically. I have already saved myself so much paper and scanning time.

Something you can offer or something you need: I've been told I'm a good thought partner who takes free flowing conversations and turns them into helpful diagrams/summaries.

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world:
    Camel with a Santa hat
    Right now, I am biding my time until Christmas.

Keisha Carr (pronouns: she/her/hers)
    Systems Support Associate
    Bainum Family Foundation
    Bethesda, MD

• 24.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 10, 2018 11:38
    Hi everyone!

This is my first NTC and I'm super excited.  Can't wait to meet you all there!

What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? - I work with an awesome three-person knowledge management team at Echoing Green, a nonprofit that supports social entrepreneurs.

Recent win - Signing a contract for a new marketing platform that (finally) integrates with our Salesforce CRM!

Something you can offer or something you need - I would love to learn what tools are out there and what other organizations are using to measure impact/improve business processes.  Our organization is in the midst of a big tech overhaul where we are replacing or rebuilding all of our cloud-based systems and reworking our systems onboarding for new staff, so if anyone needs a thought partner for this type of work (or anything else!), I'd love to talk.

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world - 
    5jEhoBzdQ8KdPilptCex_giphy-downsized.gif

Jaimie An
    Pronouns: she, her, hers
    Echoing Green
    New York, NY
    jaimie@echoinggreen.org

• 25.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 10, 2018 15:19
    Edited by Richard Wollenberger Dec 10, 2018 15:20
    • What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? - Tech, working for early childhood home visiting model developer
    • Coming win - getting new audio/video conferencing systems installed in 7 rooms
    • Something you can offer or something you need - I love the nonprofit tech community, and I will offer my expertise, while needing to learn at the same time. 
    • Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world - Are Minions animals? Hoping this works
    • Minions

And, my first trip to Portland! This makes 45 states on my list!

Richard Wollenberger
    Director, Information Technology & HIPAA Compliance and Security Officer
    Parents as Teachers
    St. Louis MO

• 26.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 10, 2018 22:28
    Edited by Jill Connaway Dec 10, 2018 22:31
    Hi all! My name is Jill.

admin unicorn smiling and saying hey!

I'm a bay area based admin unicorn busily manifesting magic at Learning for Action in San Francisco (and beyond).

Learning for Action is a social justice focused consulting firm. I wear a lot of hats and do a lot of things, including being a member of LFA's tech and marcomm teams.

Recent win - We finally got our Podio "CRM" up and running, and people are finally starting to use it.

Something you can offer or something you need - I am an Outlook calendaring ninja. Everyone at work says so. And I'm always looking to learn new things about Squarespace and successful ways to get staff to actually write the blog posts they've promised they'll write.

Fierce colorful unicorn

Jill Connaway
    Executive Assistant
    Learning for Action
    San Francisco, CA
    jill.connaway@learningforaction.com

• 27.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 11, 2018 09:32
    Hello!
    I'm new to NTEN and excited for my first conference!

• What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in?  I'm Senior Director of Development  Operations for Texas Women's Foundation. Although I'm on the fundraising team, I'm definitely "IT-adjacent"--database manager, systems-integration and integrity, and the go-to person on staff for anything related to hardware, software, or tools. We have an IT MSP, but the team always asks me first.
    • Recent win This is very geeky, and doesn't sound nearly as impressive as it should, given the amount of time it took and the fact that no one had ever done it this way before: We recently re-branded and launched a new website on a different platform and new URL. I was able to redirect the old website to the new one, build a third website on the old platform with a "was this, now that" splash page, restore the old URL to the third website, and unpublish the original website without deleting it (so we could cannibalized it for parts and content). Also, I'm in the middle of a software upgrades on all three of our main databases, due to go live concurrently in February.
    • Something you can offer or something you need I'm pretty good with the Blackbaud systems, but I'm always looking for new tools and ideas!

Susan Walters
    Texas Women's Foundation
    DALLAS, TX

• 28.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 14, 2018 08:28
      |   view attached
    Hello Everyone!!!!

Hello Everyone!
    My name is Shantel and I definitely posted my introduction on the wrong thread before posting here, lol!  This will be my first NTEN as well as my first time in the state of Oregon. I'm looking forward in meeting and connecting with like minded individuals. I'm also excited to explore and see Portland. I heard it was a beautiful city!

What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? – Education/Communication

Recent win – This past summer, I had the opportunity to travel out the country to Kazakhstan to speak at the Kazakh-British Technical University For American and Russian Students.

Something you can offer or something you need - I do well with establishing partnerships with others. I'm completely new to the Non-profit world! I'm looking for strategies to enhance my organization it's perspective industry. I'm also looking for some tips on how to enjoy Portland!

Shantel Nock
    Woodbridge, VA

• 29.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 14, 2018 09:23
    Hi All,

I am new to NTEN, not new to Technology Conferences. Really looking forward to this conference.

I have recently joined JDRF Canada as the National Director, IT. We are a small but highly efficient team. One of my last major projects (win) was consolidating 8 different CRMs/Databases into one massive CRM for another Canadian charity. It was a massive 2 year long project and I am quite proud of what we accomplished.

I am always looking to learn and improve. There's always room for improvement. Looking forward to hearing and learning from my peers at the conference.

Thanks,
    Avi

Avi Garrett
    National Director, IT
    JDRF Canada
    Toronto, ON

• 30.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 19, 2018 09:13
    Hello there!
    I am excited to attend my very first NTEN conference and Oregon (one of five states I have yet to visit) .

• What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in?
      I have 12 years experience in Development raising funds for a PAC, C4 and now a C3. 

• Recent win
      After 2 years at my current job, I not only closed a significant financial gap with a budget moving from 4 million to 6 million - I am ending the year with a surplus! Whoo Hoo!
      Always happy to share tips or tactics that have worked for me. One thing I do religiously is to call any donor who gives over $250 the same day the funds are received. I cannot tell you how many donors tell me that I am the first person to ever call from any non-profit. I aim to call an even wider universe once my department of one is expanded.
    • Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world 

Kim-Marie McLellan
    North Carolina Justice Center
    Raleigh, NC

• 31.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted 30 days ago
    Hey folks! This will be my first NTEN and my first time in Oregon/Northwest. I'm looking forward to meeting ya'll.

1) What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? - Communications & Tech working in and with youth organizing
    2) Recent win - We launched a new website this year and it's our first redesign in many, many years.  It's mobile-friendly! ��
    3) Something you can offer or something you need - I can offer (possibly too?) complex worksheets to help you manage your data and lists. I'm looking for more tech trends as I'm moving more into that arena. Plus on database and website stuff!
    4) Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world - 
    cats.gif
    --
    -
    Anna Davis
    New Media Senior Organizer
    She/Her/Hers
    trans and queer youth uniting for racial and gender justice

Genders & Sexualities Alliance Network
    direct: 415.529.5349
    p: 415.552.4229 | f: 415.552.4729

• 32.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 19, 2018 09:41
    Hello and Happy Wednesday from Bemidji, MN! My name is Kari and I am the Communications Specialist at the Northwest Minnesota Foundation. This will be my FIRST EVER NTEN conference!

• What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? Communications and marketing
    • Recent win: We are working with local media to do a public awareness campaign around homelessness which has been getting a lot of attention and it has created a strong coalition of community members and homeless shelter staff! Definitely one of those mission moments.
    • Something you can offer or something you need: I can offer a ton of fun facts about Minnesota! And I would say I need some advice about softwares/tech that is out there that can help me with design work (looking to bring more graphic design in-house).

• Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world:
      • thumbnail image
        If you don't know much about Bemidji, MN, it's usually cold and snowy. I'm talking 9 months out of the year haha Looking forward to some west coast weather in March :)

Kari Cooper
    BEMIDJI, MN

• 33.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 19, 2018 11:46
    Hello everyone!

I'm a first-timer to NTEN and I'm really looking forward to meeting new people and learning a lot.

I work with and for museums, and have done so for twenty years. I'm newer to the digital side of things and have been in my current position as the content and editorial strategist for the American Alliance of Museums for about a year and a half. I love helping people tell their stories so they can help other people. It's a win-win!

Recent win
    Earlier this year we migrated to a new Wordpress website. It's so much more dynamic than our old site and I'm looking forward to developing it further with great, deep, content. 

I really need some more knowledge about SEO and marketing - But if anyone wants to talk museums, I'm your gal.

https://goo.gi/images/EFjVCA

Cecelia Walls
    American Alliance of Museums
    Arlington, VA

• 34.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted 30 days ago
    Edited by Sara Veltkamp 30 days ago

Hi All,

I think this will be my third NTC and I'm super excited it is close to home this year. Though NOLA was amazing. I work with Minerva Strategies, a small consultancy that uses smart communications to inspire action and create positive change. Our clients are nonprofit organizations or socially motivated businesses that work with marginalized or vulnerable populations in the US and around the world.

• What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? - Communications
    • Recent win - I convinced everyone in my organization to a make a major tech shift to Microsoft products and we're now using Teams more than email. It's huge and not working 100% smoothly yet, but we'll get there.
    • Something you can offer or something you need - I'm a communicator! Minerva offers free consultations to discuss what you need to start reaching the people you are hoping to reach. Contact me if you're wrestling with a communications or storytelling challenge and you want someone else on the line to help you think through it.
    Wake me up when it's spring.
    Hibernating bear

Sara Veltkamp
    Account Manager, Minerva Strategies
    minervastrategies.com
    Seattle, WA

• 35.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted 30 days ago
    Edited by Travis Harrick 30 days ago
      |   view attached

Hello! My name is Travis, and I'm with Free Arts for Abused Children of Arizona. This is my first time coming to NTC, I'm new to NTEN, and I've never been to Portland! I'm excited for my organization to be sending me so that I can further assist in the implementation of our technology portion of our 10-year strategic plan. Exciting times!

• What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? 
      • My organization combines volunteers and the arts to create healing from traumatic experiences with children in foster care, group homes, treatment centers, suffering from homelessness, or facing adverse childhood experiences. I myself am new to Operations team which includes HR, Administrative work, IT & Tech Support, Database Administration, Finance, Property Management, and a dozen other hats! I'm exactly where I want to be now!
    • Recent win
      • I recently set out to run a mile, have a work out, and drink a new beer every day for 28 days consecutively, and made 18 days which was solid. I'll be starting over again to hit the full 28!
      • I believe I can offer fun and enjoyable conversation, and lots of brainstorming in-between sessions, I really enjoy taking through things I do, and do not, understand, simply for the sake of learning. Something I need is a better understanding of what this conference, and what specific sessions, will create the most impact for my organization over the next 1, 3, 5, and 10 years! Pointers are more than welcome!
    • Animal Gif
      • The Tall One that eats. I am 6'9" and I enjoy food very much.
      • See above

Travis Harrick (LinkedIn Link)
    Operations Manager
    Free Arts for Abused Children of Arizona
    Phoenix, AZ

• 36.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted 28 days ago
    Hi All -

My name is Dar and this will be my....fourth?...fifth?....we'll go with firth NTC.

What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? - Tech at an educational nonprofit called Urban Teachers. Right where I want to be!

Recent win - Figured out Pardot end to end as a team and we can now all set up items in it quickly and on the fly if necessary. Recruiting ROI & prospect tracking just got soooo much easier and less stressful.

Something you can offer or something you need - Tech career guidance and lots of random help from strategic road-mapping to how to give a pig a bellyrub to good egg substitutes for baking. I always need to know more things about tech and usually need a coffee refill.

Dar Veverka
    Director of Information Technology
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD

• 37.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋