Topic Thread

👋 Introductions! 👋

• 1.  👋 Introductions! 👋

STAFF
    Posted Dec 03, 2018 18:04
    Edited by Tristan Penn Dec 07, 2018 19:00

Welcome, all!

Let's use this thread to get to know our fellow 19NTC attendees. Regardless of if you're a long-time NTEN member and have attended every NTC, or you're brand new to the community and haven't yet experienced the NTC magic, we'd love to hear from you!

Here are some prompts to help us get started - With my answers ;) 

• What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? - Tech! I work for NTEN!
    • Recent win - I recently made the switch to NTEN from Youth Development and I'm learning A LOT.
    • Something you can offer or something you need - I can offer up help/direction/suggestions with all things related to Portland while you're attending NTC. I've lived here for 4.5 years and I am always finding new places to visit. Such a great city!
    • Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world - 

Looking forward to seeing you all at NTC!

Please stop me and say "Hi!" I look a lot like my Bitmoji below!

------------------------------
    Tristan Penn (pronouns: he/him)
    Community Engagement Manager, NTEN
    503-272-8761
    tristan@nten.org
    nten.org | @NTENorg
    Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 2.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 04, 2018 12:26
    Hi everyone. I'm Kirk. This will be my first NTC.

What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? Starfleet. I mean... Data! No, not that one. The other one. I am in analytics, data management, and direct response.

Recent win: We recently ran a DM test that gave us a lot more information about how our donors respond to particular stories. It may seem mundane, but it will inform so much future fundraising strategy.

Something you can offer or something you need: Always happy to offer help with math and anything RE.

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your worldHm, is the gif animated or the animal... let's go with both...
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky
    Also - anyone up for some board games at NTC? I intend to bring a few small ones for the fellow introverts who socialize best with cards and/or dice.

Kirk Schmidt
    Director, Foundation Analytics, Systems, and Operations
    STARS
    Calgary, AB

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 3.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 04, 2018 13:56
    Hi everyone!

I'm so excited for 19NTC to be here in Portland where the NTEN office is - we have SO much to show you about our town :)

What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? I love working in a capacity building, community supporting role and organization. I know that a rising tide lifts all ships and the NTEN community is invested in sharing and learning together. It's an amazing place!

Recent win: I'm saying this here so that it becomes a win (crossing every finger and toe!!!). This week we are testing a "no nap" reality with our toddler who has never excelled at sleeping though does excel at many other things. It feels like the right decision for him but we are so scared to not get an hour of free time to mindlessly check our phones and eat lunch every day. Send me your good vibes and toddler stories!

Something you can offer or something you need: If I have the experience, knowledge, skills, or connections that can help you, I am ALWAYS happy to share. Topics that may be relevant: nonprofit technology strategy and planning, community engagement, social media, parenting a toddler, enjoying food with many food allergies, and bikes.

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your worldI mean...

@Kirk Schmidt, thanks for your notes about board games! There are many places in town where you'll find lots of great board games available for playing (many restaurants and bars have them) or for purchase (reminder, OR has no sales tax!). Check back on the website next week (or I'll remember to send you a message!) for a few things: Birds of a Feather tables which happen during lunches and the brunch on the last day, Dine Arounds which are evening group meals, and community events which can truly be anything organized by the community outside of the specific NTC agenda items. You'll be able to sign up for any of those items on the website and host a table to play board games together with fellow board game enthusiasts at the conference!

Amy

Amy Sample Ward (pronouns: she/her)
    CEO, NTEN
    Portland, OR
    amy@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 4.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 05, 2018 10:41
    Greetings everyone!

This is not my first NTC but I have been out of pocket (traveling the world) for a couple of years. To those who are NTC virgins, this is the BEST conference! A couple of tips...
    * Pay attention to social media, being a tech conference folks are engaged and it is the best way to meet people
    * No matter how late you are out the night before, wake up and go to the morning general session - Amy brings it and the presentations are always great!
    * Collect buttons
    * Make time to cruise the exhibit hall at least three times!

And now....

What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? Been thinking a lot about that recently as I am between careers. Maybe either yoga instructor or astronaut.

Recent win: Secured tickets to a special Winter Solstice event at Stonehenge!

Something you can offer or something you need: I can offer 20++ years of nonprofit knowledge and career advice (this I do for free). I need help understanding gifs (had to look it up for next question, hope it works!).

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world https://media.giphy.com/media/1ke5E84BQ4MUM/giphy.gif

Mary Beth

Mary Beth Harrington, CVAPassionate Nonprofit Expert

mbharrington@nonprofitpassion.com
    972-839-9960 (cell)

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 5.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Feb 19, 2019 11:37

Hello Mary Beth,

My name is Rebecca Fowler from ShopRaise and this is our first time at NTC.  I have a quick question. I noticed you mentioned collect buttons, do vendors giveaway buttons or are you referring to something else? We are considering giving away computer stickers but then I saw your comment about buttons and want to give away something more relevant.

Thank you for your time.

Rebecca

Rebecca Fowler
    VP Business Development
    ShopRaise
    Littleton, CO

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 6.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

STAFF
    Posted Feb 19, 2019 13:11
    Hi @Rebecca Fowler !

Each Year NTC designs a vast array of buttons that are used for various reasons - FUN, Identifying purposes, and community purposes​. NTC has quite a few getting designed for this year! Over the years, they have become somewhat of collector's items and a lot of the attendees and staff look forward to displaying them on their lanyards. Very fun!

Buttons for exhibitors are not mandatory but If you want to have them at your booth, by all means!

Tristan Penn (pronouns: he/him)
    Community Engagement Manager, NTEN
    503-272-8761
    tristan@nten.org
    nten.org | @NTENorg

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 7.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 05, 2018 11:20

• What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? I work at a Tech Nonprofit called Next Century Cities. We help cities, towns, and counties ensure that all have access to fast, affordable, reliable broadband.
    • Recent win - I had the opportunity to speak at an event in the Arctic Circle - it was amazing.
    • Something you can offer or something you need - Having been in this space for a long time, I'm happy to support new leaders. I am also on the Board of Directors for NTEN! 
    • Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world - Finding solutions involves breaking the rules!  https://gph.is/1U61LZc
    Deb Socia
    Executive Director
    Next Century Cities

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 8.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 05, 2018 14:05
    My name is Beth Kanter  and I have been working in the nonprofit tech field a long time and a NTEN board member.  The 2019 NTC will be my 20th consecutive one!

What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in?  

I'm a trainer, author, and speaker.  I work on leadership development, organizational culture, and digital strategy.

Recent win:  My recent book is the Happy Healthy Nonprofit about wellbeing in the nonprofit workplace made the "Best Nonprofit Books of all Time List" (#9)

Something you can offer or something you need:   Always delighted to connect with other nonprofit professionals and talk shop, career, and life.  I co-lead the annual NTC walk with Gina Schmeling - so if you're up for a walking break, come join us. 

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world Not sure ELMO is an animal, perhaps.  But this recent blog post speaks to stuff that I like to geek out on as a trainer and a topic in an NTC session I'm doing.

download.jpeg

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 9.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 18, 2018 15:30
    Hi everyone!

This will be my 7th NTEN in a row, and I am looking forward to seeing my NPTech friends and make new ones! 💕 🍶 🥂 🤗

I am web developer and community organizer, a co-organizer of Tech4good SWFL (netsquared/NTEN affiliated), co-organizer WordPress Meetup SWFL and Deputy on the Global Community Team of WordPress. As my day job, I run Pauli Systems, a web development company. We help nonprofits connect with their supporters online. We use open-source software mostly WordPress and CiviCRM

Recent win: 
    Co-organizing WordCamp US, the signature event for WordPress w/ 1800 attendees and 50+ Sponsors.

Something you can offer or something you need
    Asked me anything about Gutenberg, the new block editor for WordPress. I am the publisher/curator of Gutenberg Times. I have been curating news, tutorials and documentation on Gutenberg since June 2017.

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world It never stops in my world:-)

Birgit Pauli-Haack
    Co-organizer Tech4Good SWFL
    NTEN Nonprofit TechClub in Naples FL
    text/call 239-595-3882
    NPTechProjects
    Join our WP4Good Club
    Twitter: @bph

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 10.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Jan 14, 2019 10:31

• What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? - I'm currently in Development (Fundraising) Operations.  Looking to move further away from fundraising and more towards Operations
    • Recent win -
      • Personal: I finally got off my behind and am working towards my PMI certification after thinking and talking about it for a very very long time.
      • Professional: Seeing my employee thrive and taking ownership of the web builds and tech support for our main Peer to Peer fundraising program, Sleep Out.
    • Something you can offer or something you need
      • Need: A peer mentor for someone else who is in my role, Director, of Web Properties who is managing multiple vendors/departments.  I'm trying to navigate different vendors, departments and their roles and mine to define who is responsible for what while also trying to learn what is necessary for my role.
    • Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world -jeCiOPKRQduKEK2czK9c_giphy.gif

Karin Rockwin
    Director, Website Properties
    Covenant House
    New York, NY

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 11.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Mar 04, 2019 21:12
    I'd love to support here in defining those roles Karin! What days will you be available to meet at NTEN?

Rachel Renock
    CEO + Creative Director
    Wethos

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 12.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Jan 28, 2019 15:58

Hello everyone, I'm new to NTEN and really excited to be attending my first NTC! 

What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? My organization works at the intersection of youth development and participatory grantmaking, by creating opportunities for high school students to decide where funding support should go in their own communities. My work helps our tiny team of four monitor and report on a national-scale program, and it's exactly where I want to be.

Recent win: In November, I launched an overhauled version of our website that includes embedded, interactive dashboards. It was the first time we'd been able to show our community members the impact of the program at both the national and the local level simultaneously (and through building this, we now have processes and templates that make reporting to funders a much simpler process for our development staff). 

Something you can offer or something you need: Pretty okay at working with data visualizations, especially Google Data Studio, if you're interested in trying out some dashboarding of your own. What we're looking at on the horizon though is integrating our data collection processes with our CRM, to automate the flow of program outcome data, so if you've got experience connecting forms/surveys, spreadsheets and Salesforce then I would greatly value getting to talk to you at the conference. Also looking to learn more about Wordpress as we upgrade the new website further to make it bilingual. So basically, excited to learn all the things. 

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world

Image result for sphynx cat gif(alt text: hairless sphynx cat looking quickly left and right, as though its attention is caught by many things at once).

Rachel Paris (pronouns: she/her)
    Manager, Digital Strategy Community Engagement
    Youth and Philanthropy Initiative (YPI) Canada | www.goypi.org
    Toronto, ON

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 13.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Mar 11, 2019 11:24
    Hello! I'm Taylor and this is my 4th NTC! 

What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? - In short, I work in digital, specifically for a tool that helps non-profits raise more money, drive more action, and really meet (and exceed) any of their organizational goas. I'm a Lead Customer Success Manager at Upland Mobile Messaging (better known to most of the NTEN world as Mobile Commons). Upland Mobile Messaging is, as its core, a text messaging platform. It also has a built in phone calls tool, and increasingly, we're expanding into mobile wallet, mobile app notifications, more robust marketing automation, and even an e-mail tool inside our "Customer Experience Management" division at Upland. Myself and 2 of my colleagues (Meredith Begin and Taylor Behnke) will be in attendance. Taylor Behnke is speaking on a panel on Friday, Texters Take Action: Level Up Your Direct Action Organizing with SMS. You should definitely attend, even if you just want to learn a bit more about how SMS is getting huge results for non-profits, charities, and advocacy organizations. While we don't have a booth this year, I'm available for a 1 on 1, just reach out to me on the NTC app or twitter (@tdankmyer)

Recent win
     - Well, most of my wins are my client wins! Ex: This organization raised X dollars or drove Y amount of calls to Congress on our tool, but most of those can't be shared publicly. However, I'm happy to discuss some broad ones in person if you're curious (or point you to our case studies on our website)! Otherwise, as I mentioned, we are broadly expanding our technical capacity & functionality over the next year/2 years, so it's a very exciting time to be focused on mobile as we're building things that non-profits need to be even more successful. 

Something you can offer or something you need - 
    Well, I can answer almost any questions about the text messaging space you throw at me (so can Meredith or Taylor Behnke). It's a special niche in some cases, so maybe that's useful! Otherwise, I'll need a few good restaurant and weekend recommendations as I'm staying the weekend! 

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world -

skiing
    (I just moved to a ski town in January, so any of my free time has been going to that!)

Taylor Dankmyer
    Lead Customer Success Manager & Mobile Strategist
    Upland Mobile Messaging
    Salt Lake City, UT

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 14.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 04, 2018 18:58
    Howdy,

My first NTC looking forward to coming South for the conference.

• What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? - I am in tech and information, but have also been annual and event fundraising.  Sector is small heath/community care. 
    • Recent win - Was looked at by my ED as we were working through the communications plan and she said, "You have done this before."
    • Something you can offer or something you need - Not sure, I like to talk through ideas and problems. I have been told I ask good questions. 
    • Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world - 

Jim Freer
    Sooke Family Resource Society
    Sooke, BC

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 15.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 04, 2018 19:37
    Edited by Chris Langford Dec 07, 2018 19:00
    • What field or sub-sector are you in, or want to be in? - Tech, as well!  I run the IT department at the Oregon College of Oriental Medicine, a Chinese medicine school right here in Portland!
    • Recent win - Two new kittens in our household!  They are not killing each other (much), so I'll take that as a win. (see attached)

• Something you can offer or something you need - I have lived in Portland for nearly 40 years, so glad NTEN Conference is here this year!  I can recommend all kinds of crazy stuff; food, drink, activities, whatever you need (Powell's, anyone?).

• Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world - 

Chris Langford
    Director of Information Systems and Technology
    Oregon College of Oriental Medicine
    Portland, OR

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 16.  RE: 👋 Introductions! 👋

Posted Dec 05, 2018 11:33
      |   view attached
    Hello Everyone.

My name is Scott Tywoniuk and I'm a Chartered Accountant from Edmonton, AB  CANADA. In my past life I was a DBA and have worked in numerous tech roles at software companies.  I went back to school at age 33 to become an accountant. In my current role - because of the size of our organization - I also wear the CIO hat from time to time.

- Accounting / Finance - I'm fortunate to be working with a great organization and get lots of variety - including tech.

Recent win - Our organization has a third party vendor that provides a variety of services for our members. There is data housed in their systems which we don't have access to - and have to rely on the third party vendor for all reporting. As a result there is no check and balance that can be performed on our side to confirm accuracy of reporting .  I've completed a one year data migration plan that will allow for our organization to directly administer its member plan data without reliance on an outside third party.   

Something you can offer or something you need - I'm a pretty creative person and try and look for win-win scenarios wherever possible. I've had people come to me a number of times and throw something out - and suggest its not do-able. I get my kicks in proving to them that it is. 

Animated Animal gif or meme which best describes you or your world.  Thought this bear or dog one sums it up best. Seems like there is always someone out there that may try and stir things up - how you react to things is up to you.

Scott Tywoniuk
    Edmonton, AB

Nonprofit Tech Clubs