Discuss

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources.
Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

New to the group? Introduce yourself!
Reminder: Job posts are not allowed. Please visit the Nonprofit Tech Job Board to post a job or search for career opportunities.
Current organizers: Keith Berner and Ariel Jensen-Vargas
Short link: http://community.nten.org/ntendiscuss
Anyone can join and contribute to this group! Just create an account to get started.

Topic: This listserv is not for marketing purposes

1.  This listserv is not for marketing purposes

Posted Jan 17, 2017 17:18
I am one of two volunteer moderators for NTEN Discuss (Ariel Jensen-Vargas is the other). There have been a few recent instances of listserv members' posting links to surveys, sometimes in the guise of providing service to nonprofits and sometime without anything substantial at all in the way of purpose or self-identification.

Most often, these kinds of surveys are meant not to serve others, but rather to gather data to be used later for marketing purposes. 

Please remember that NTEN communities are meant to benefit the nonprofit community at large and other members of the community. A survey that might be acceptable would be one where there is a commitment to share results back to the broader community, but even then, you can expect Ariel and I to be skeptical. When we recognize marketing intent, we will remove the post in question.

So, if you would like to launch a survey, I recommend that you first reach out to NTEN to see if what you have in mind is appropriate, 
via community@nten.org or 1-503-272-8800.

Thanks,

Keith Berner

------------------------------
Keith Berner
Director, Information Technology
Freedom House
Washington DC
berner@freedomhouse.org
------------------------------