Use the @mention function to direct responses or questions to specific community members in public posts.
For example, if I'm reading a thread about Instagram and think that my coworker, Shannon Wong might be interested in chiming in on the conversation, I could @mention her in a discussion reply. She would receive an email notification that she was mentioned in my discussion post. Other community members can click on Shannon's @mention in the discussion post and will be directed to view her profile:
- Type "@" to initiate an @mention. (Note: @mentions can only be made directly through the online platform, not through posts made via email.)
- Start typing the name of the user you want to mention. The system will show a list of suggested users to choose from as you type.
- Select the community member you want to mention from the list of suggestions. (Note: Users who have opted out of the directory will not appear in the list of suggestions.)
- The @mention will then become a hyperlink to the @mentioned user's profile.
- Once posted, the @mentioned user will receive an email notification. (Note: If the mention is made within a private group which the @mentioned user isn't a member of they will not receive a notification.)